5 Dead In Ayutthaya Bridge Collapse

webfact

5 dead in Ayutthaya bridge collapse
The Nation

30205010-01_big.jpg

AYUTTHAYA: -- A suspension bridge over Pa Sak River in Ayutthaya collapsed yesterday evening, crushing five people to death underneath a pillar on one side, while wounding 15 others.

The collapse also sent a large number of pedestrians and motorcyclists into the water, but there were no casualties. The Bicentenary Bridge, 20 metres above the water, has been regularly used. The bridge is believed to have collapsed after the slings broke.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-29

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least four killed and dozens injured in Ayutthaya bridge collapse

BANGKOK, 28 April 2013 (NNT) – A three-decade old bridge in Ayutthaya Province collapsed while residents and motorcyclists were moving on it. The incident killed at least four and injured dozens of others.

The collapse of the bridge over the Pa Sak River in Tambon Ta Luang of Ayutthaya took place at around 5.30 pm of Sunday.

It is reported that two men and two women were killed in the collapse, while 17 people were injured. The incident at the bridge, which recently undergone repairs and restoration, also critically injured two while isolating the residents of both banks of the river.

Reports said the main cables that support the bridge deck were believed to snap, causing the bridge to collapse in the middle and commuters to fall into the river.

While the investigation into the actual cause of the incident has begun, the search operations for those fallen into the river has continued.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-29 footer_n.gif

Five killed in Ayutthaya bridge collapse

AYUTTHAYA :-- At least five people were killed and 45 others injured when a suspension bridge gave way in Tha Rua district on Sunday evening.

The incident took place at about 6pm when many residents were walking and riding their motorcycles across the 31-year-old bridge over the Pa Sak River in tambon Ta Larn.

Reports said five people, two men and three females including two young girls aged 10 and 14, have been confirmed dead.

It was believed the main cables that support the bridge deck snapped, causing the bridge to collapse in the middle and commuters to fall into the river. The bridge, which had recently been repaired, is 4 metres wide and 120 metres long.

The number of casualties is expected to rise as rescue crews are searching for more people who may have been trapped under the debris. Hundreds of people reportedly watched the carnage from both sides of the river’s banks.

Of the 45 injured who have been rushed to Tha Rua Hospital, two were in critical condition as they were hit by falling debris from the bridge.

The bridge was built in 1982 to commemorate the 120th anniversary of the founding of the Rattanokosin era. The accident occurred after the bridge had undergone restoration work last year. The collapse has isolated residents at Moo 6 village from tambon Ta Larn.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-29

another tragic accident,health and safety are on their way.

Don't think they would ever get a visa and if they did then blame might be levied on someone causing a loss of face.

Things will never change in a country like this.

I have been to lot's of funerals here like many other westerners I'm sure but very rarely seen anyone really upset unlike funerals in England where people do get upset and show it, makes me wonder if Thais view life as precious as us because if they did then perhaps they would make things change.

• Like 2

Could be the weight of the paint applied over 30 years to cover the rust took the bridge over it's operating capacity.

Seriously the BBC just reported on TV......

The bridge was designed for pedestrians and small vehicles but it hadn't been particularly well maintained.

Edited by Soupdragon
  • Like 1

Sad - but Thai engineering at it´s best.

R.I.P.

Yep.

And here in Phuket they are constructing an UNDERGROUND bypass.

The project will never be finished. But even if it is, I will NEVER EVER use it.

5 dead will look like a tea part in comparison to the deaths from a tunnel collapse during peak hour traffic on the busiest road in Phuket.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

Don't think they would ever get a visa and if they did then blame might be levied on someone causing a loss of face.

I have been to lot's of funerals here like many other westerners I'm sure but very rarely seen anyone really upset unlike funerals in England where people do get upset and show it, makes me wonder if Thais view life as precious as us because if they did then perhaps they would make things change.

Speaking of face, one thing I always love about funerals is how many people end up being a wonderful person to so many, once they're dead.

R.I.P.

Yep.

The project will never be finished. But even if it is, I will NEVER EVER use it.

5 dead will look like a tea part in comparison to the deaths from a tunnel collapse during peak hour traffic on the busiest road in Phuket.

The construction you are referring to is an underpass, ie a cutting, not a tunnel. It is scheduled to open early 2014.

The tunnel planned to go under Patong Hill is another matter.

Another sad example of a bridge built to a price not a spec. Engineers should be held to account, especially if the bridge was just 'repaired'. But it will be put down to karma and no doubt politics will enter into it as blaming a past govt for the failure etc.

Nah, you know that many on Thai Visa will blame PTP, Yingluk and Thaksin for this

• Like 1

R.I.P.

Yep.

The construction you are referring to is an underpass, ie a cutting, not a tunnel. It is scheduled to open early 2014.

yer good luck trying to avoid it, if you drive a car or bike and ever go anywhere chances are you will have to pass it at some point.. .

No Thais do not view life as precious, they just honk the horn as they pass the temple and think nothing of swerving in front of you after. Here funerals are parties, drinks, candies for the kids, It is not often I have seen a Thai cry at a funeral here and have been invited to many. Both at Temples and just out in the forest to burn the body. And I give a donation to the children to give to their mother, the older children or to the wife of the deceased etc. Here funerals are parties from two days to a week, while they wait for relatives to arrive from foreign countries, the body is put on ice. Probably the same Ice they put in your beer later.

• Like 1

Another sad example of a bridge built to a price not a spec. Engineers should be held to account, especially if the bridge was just 'repaired'. But it will be put down to karma and no doubt politics will enter into it as blaming a past govt for the failure etc.

Nah, you know that many on Thai Visa will blame PTP, Yingluk and Thaksin for this

Sure! For neglect of maintenance! whistling.gif

At first a Thai person told me it was a two hundred year old bridge to which I mentioned it's not inconceivable that it may have structural problems being so old. Then finding out it's a commemorative bridge only 31 years old and already in need of repairs?

Was it built with Legos or something? Please don't build a nuclear plant in Thailand.

Everyone knows Legos hold up better.

Typical Thai money-pocketing leading to deaths and suffering of the pawns that have voted only to be treated as nothing more than what they really are to the powers-that-be.

There's a footbridge near the Bangkhae market that is about the collapse as well. I've been over it before and the concrete is so worn out in places that there are holes right through where you can see the rusty mesh below. Of course, I pretty much doubt it'll be fixed. The local gov'ts are too preoccupied with those big plastic garbage bins instead.

And what will these Thais do about it? They'll accept a bribe or a pay-off or just whittle it all down to bad luck.

• Like 2

R.I.P.

Yep.

yer good luck trying to avoid it, if you drive a car or bike and ever go anywhere chances are you will have to pass it at some point.. .

Sorry but that is nonsense. Living on the West coast the only time I need to go anywhere near there is when I go to Central which is actually next to the development. Plenty of alternate routes to get anywhere else.

R.I.P.

To be fair, the Americans have had some major bridge collapses over the years. And then there was the famous wobbly bridge in London. On the whole, Thai engineering is as good as anywhere else.

Of course, everything's equal everywhere! Justice is the same in Thailand, it's just different! Politics are the same, there's crooks everywhere! Engineering is of the same quality as it is everywhere as well! Nice post.

• Like 1

when thais realize that cheap is not good we might see some advances in their building. My wife asked me to build a fence at the new units on thew weekend so I measured them up and worked out what it would cost, she complained it was too much for a fence and that it didnt matter if it was not solid, I should use cheap materials. How in the hell can there be any safety when this is how all thais think, I ended up telling her I would not touch it if it was not to be done properly, she hasnt spoken to me since.

Bridge is a pedestrian bridge also used by motorbikes.

Design was probably to the same bridge standards using in the west based on the load of a fairly spread out load of pedestrians.

It probably carried many more people than designed for but the safety margin possibly covered that.

It also carried motorbikes. Much heavier than a pedestrian. Never designed for that so continual overload fatigue etc had its inevitible effect.