Children Of Foreigners & Visas

Could anyone advise if there has been or if there is about to be a change in the operation of the rules regarding visas for children of foreigners. My wife and I ( Filipino & British respectively) re-entered at Swampy last night; as Non-B visa holders we entered on re-entry permits and everything ok. The officer expressed some surprise that our kids, both under 5 and using British passports, did not have visas; no problem as he stamped them in for 30 days. Today a colleague was told at Nakhorn Pathom immigration that her child, aged 2, needs to be on a Non-O visa dependent on her visa. Can anyone advise as I'd like to keep our two on the right side of the system and I would hate to be hit with a huge overstay fine next time we leave the kingdom. Many thanks.

Your children are not covered by your visas/re-entry permits so indeed needed a visa or visa exempt stamp for entry. But there is no fine collected for children on overstay (up to age 15), but yes they should have a non immigrant visa entry and extensions of stay as your dependent children to be fully within the rules using section 2.20 of police order 777/2551

In the case of a family
member of an alien who has
been permitted temporary
stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2,
2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12,
2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17,
2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this
Order

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Proof of family relationship;
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de
jure (legitimate) and de facto; or
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her
spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with
the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of
age or over.
  • Like 1

As said no fine involved so not a big deal for most immigration officers - but as school seems to be close it is probably best to be on correct entry as there may be forms to fill out. If you will be working here long term best to get everything in order - especially if PR or citizenship might be in the long term plans.

• Like 1

This is precisely the reason my children (Thai/American) did not leave the country until they had both passports. Being born here, they didn't need passports or visas, but if they left for any reason, complications would ensue, now they just switch passports before reentering.

Well, my husband is filipino and I'm Chinese ....Lately we have been processing Non O visa for our daughter who is 2.5 years old....no one has told us to get her a visa ....we just feel like doing it in a proper way ....

Our company is a huge group, which means they do all the documents for foreigners ' visa......Something made me pissed off was immigration at chaewattana need the tax of all the thai employees ....My company has asked officer millions of time about this issue coz its impossible to offer thousands of paper of tax for immigration...there are 1000 foreigners and 5000 Thais in our company ...

Hence, we got All the supporting papers for my daughter's non O visa but tax of thai employees......

Bloody hell.......my company and I are confused and we decided to drop off doing this non O visa...

By the way, we do traveling a lot, like 2-3 times a year , we v been to many countries and never had problems with my daughter' s visa ...no fine,,,,

We may try it again next time coz one of my colleague has done a non o visa for his son last year and at that time they didn't ask the stupid thousands of papers of Thais tax....it's not my company can't do it...it's just a huge paper work for them to do it.....I'm waiting for a new policy next year...hahahahah...what a hell.......

You should not have to establish anything else than that the child is yours and you (or your spouse) are/is here on an extension of stay. it is for your or your spouse that the paperwork for all foreigners and Thai nationals is required, as there is a ratio of 1 foreigner per 4 Thai nationals in a company.

I suspect the problem is getting the non immigrant O visa rather than extension of stay; as this normally requires applicant visit a Consulate - so a re-entry permit and trip to Vientiane might be the quickest way to obtain (using birth certificate as your child and your passport with extension of stay to issue the non immigrant O single entry visa) and then 60 days later extend to match yourself.