Looking To Form Band In Pattaya Area

BrianFantana

Looking for anyone interested in forming a band to do some light gigging around the Pattaya area. I'm not trying to make a living here - just simply looking to play. I played in a (sort of) band some years ago here and know a lot of bar and club owners if we want to start playing some decent shows.

I play guitar and bass with some vocals, I also have another guitarist/bassist/keyboard player with some vocals who I've played with here for a number of years. Really looking for a drummer, another bass/guitar player, keys, even horns or some other percussion - I'll entertain anything, and a strong singer (can be male or female).

I'm open to playing most everything, though preferences would be Stones, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Zeppelin, My Morning Jacket, Hendrix sort of stuff. Country, contemporary, folk, blues - I'm open to anything but not really interested in just blues jamming.

PM me at < Email address removed >

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

Worth bearing in mind that farangs have been arrested for playing music without a work permit, even for free.

Thanks. We had this some years ago - we got a letter from immigration giving us the thumbs up as long as we passed around a box to collect money for a local charity. Played for about two years and only had them pop in once - I made a call to the guy I know at immigration and all was sorted.

Worth bearing in mind that farangs have been arrested for playing music without a work permit, even for free.

Thanks. We had this some years ago - we got a letter from immigration giving us the thumbs up as long as we passed around a box to collect money for a local charity. Played for about two years and only had them pop in once - I made a call to the guy I know at immigration and all was sorted.

Are you saying you had a WP for this or just some guy at Immigration gave you a thumbs up? You cant get a WP for playing gigs here. Some bars (far and few) have been issued certain permits for allowing foreigners to play but thats about it

This was tried not too long ago and doesn't seem to work any more. I highly recommend stopping by Leo's. Many of the local musicians hang out there and jam. Leo's got it setup so you can jam and not get into trouble...which has happened to him in the past. He'll tell you the full story.

They had a jam at the Blues Factory Monday. Quite a few local musicians were there.

Maybe Raro will pop into this thread as he knows the local scene quite well.

It was very different in Bangkok a few years ago when I lived there. I played for almost 20 years there - and for a while every night - without any hassles and without a work permit for that. Hotels, pubs and clubs there still have many places for foreigners to play either as fixed gigs or jam nights. Pattaya is OK if you stick to the clubs where a Thai band has the regular job and you sit in or if the place has some special permission in some way. Don't want to mention them as I don't want them on the "radar". I have done - as have others like Raro - a few charity concerts that seem to be OK for foreign players but each case is different. None of this stops anyone from forming a band, just relates to where you might be able to play publicly.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I play guitar and bass, have both. I also sing lead or harmonies. I've been playing in the UK and here to a lesser extent, for years. As I've no real interest in jamming these days, I would like to play something more band-like! My email is

Edited by Rimmer
email removed as per forum rules, pls use PM

Right, I'm quite a bit involved with the local music scene and yes, Leo's is the place to go!

Having said that, there is also a jam at the blues factory (Mondays?) and at the Sapphire Lodge in Pratamnak Soi 5 on Thursdays.

Let me know when you plan to go to any of these places by pm and I'll try to catch up with you. Play guitar and some bass myself and can sing to a certain extent...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app