Major Airports In Thailand Get Facelift To Facilitate Elderly And Disabled Passengers

webfact

Major airports get facelift to facilitate elderly and disabled passengers

BANGKOK, 30 April 2013 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is launching a project in major airports across Thailand, aiming to facilitate disabled and elderly passengers.

After the project launching ceremony, Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said he had told the Airports of Thailand (AOT) to place emphasis on the elderly and passengers who are disabled.

The project will be launched in six major airports across Thailand, including Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Mae Fah Luang, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, and Phuket airports.

The project includes building restrooms for the elderly and those with disabilities, renovating ramps in terminals, setting up sign language translation kiosks, and installing help buttons.

In addition, the airports will also provide wheelchair forklifts when needed.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-30 footer_n.gif

That would be welcome change if they follow through. Squat toilets are pretty rough for the elderly and disabled. They should start there. thumbsup.gif

I find squat toilets difficult to use due to bad knees. Oh, wait. Am I considered elderly?

Probably a token gesture at best considering that Thailand is a country without disability basic features almost everywhere.

What would you do if you were disabled? Think about it the next time you walk down a street, cross at an intersection or use public transit. Utility poles, telephone booths, bus stops and all kinds of permanent obstructions all blocking the streets. No disabled entries or exits at most BTS stations and their stairs that block the streets below. No disabled ready busses. Many overhead crossings for pedestrians and almost none that a disabled person can use.

• Like 2

Probably a token gesture at best considering that Thailand is a country without disability basic features almost everywhere.

What would you do if you were disabled? Think about it the next time you walk down a street, cross at an intersection or use public transit. Utility poles, telephone booths, bus stops and all kinds of permanent obstructions all blocking the streets. No disabled entries or exits at most BTS stations and their stairs that block the streets below. No disabled ready busses. Many overhead crossings for pedestrians and almost none that a disabled person can use.

There was this wheelchair bound ex Thai army guy got around Pattaya , it was just so bad for him , of course the army really helped ,they couldn't give a sh!!t, he used to sell flowers of an evening , we brought all the flowers from him and the great part was he never kept coming back to sell or make a nuisance, we'd see him somewhere and buy, lovely man , wounder if he's still around, haven't been back for years , Cha Am these days.

How about leaving access to moving walkways to all people rather than some lame security guy saying only access to the next level is for those with an airport pass, and how about opening the doors at all exits? Disabled people are forced to go miles around the airport.

The airport access is a total mess as it was at Don Muang prior. If you don't want people to use the moving walkways why build them, ditto the exit doors. AOT is a grossly inept corporation. Don't get me started on how to access the large flight info boards hidden from view facing the street...

All this is brilliant. BUT Stay at the airport for your holiday duration, and enjoy the facilities.

Unless you get transport to a hotel that has the same, then you can enjoy Thailand experience in the confines of the hotel. UNLESS you have a mode of transport that will take you to a venue where the same facilities excist.

Other than that there is little chance to see Thailand--in it's natural state, Parks-beaches- as for someone pushing your wheelchair along the pathways, and looking around local towns ---totally OUT.

It's a start, but clearing the pathways of venders posts-and other obsticles should be a priority--you see this IS a tourist destination so please posters do not argue that other countries have problems-I am aware of that.

Yes, Suvannabhumi is a bit of a nightmare for elderly people, who walk with some difficulty and much of it is due to the distance one has to walk either to or from a Departure/Arrival Gate. Mind you this isn't a problem that is exclusive to Thailand and Heathrow is almost as bad. Don Muang was not quite so bad. Other posters have highlighted several other problems at 'Swampy' for the elderly, but one is left wondering why the heck there wasn't an 'old git' on the advisory board when they designed and built the ruddy place!

Well I believe the elderly and disabled are taken care of by their families and so they do not go out in public alone. This is supposition on my part as I know several Thai families and the old people never leave the house unless there is a very special occasion and then several family members take care of them when they are out. In the US people grew up being independent and don't rely on their family like here in Thailand.

I guess the point for Thailand is that if they want old and disabled tourist to come to Thailand they want to make a good impression once they get off the plane. After the tourist hits the streets of Thailand I guess the govenment doesn't give a hoot about that impression.