Thailand's P M Yingluck Denies Trying To Whitewash Brother Thaksin In Mongolia

webfact

PM Yingluck denies trying to whitewash brother in Mongolia
By English News

13673164822754.jpg

BANGKOK, April 30 – Thailand’s Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra insisted today that her speech on democracy, made at an international forum in Ulan Bator, Mongolia, was aimed at preventing a future coup in Thailand, and not to clear her brother of offences as she has been widely accused.

She said the objective of her statement at the Conference on the Community of Democracies in Ulan Bator yesterday was to enhance confidence, especially among investors, and to ensure equality for Thai people from all walks of life.

“It was an international forum on democracy. I only raised a precedent as I want the country to move forward,” she said.

Asked why she chose to raise Thailand’s negative aspects on an international stage, Ms Yingluck said it was a forum on democracy and she intended to call on every country to join hands in strengthening the democratic system.

“I meant to say that Thailand is sincere in our cooperation for the democratic system. It’s the path several countries have chosen. I won’t make such a speech [again] on another stage,” she explained.

In response to criticism that she was reopening the wounds of Thailand’s internal conflicts, the premier said her speech should be carefully listened to and defended herself she merely raised some precedents.

“It was a forum on democracy. We can’t make such a speech elsewhere, and it’s a guideline for many other countries,” she said. “I wasn’t trying to clear my brother of charges against him.”

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Ms Yingluck’s brother, was ousted from his post in a military coup in 2006 and has lived overseas in self-exile.

“You have to read the entire speech, not only certain parts,” she said, defending her position firmly.

Asked if she would make a similar speech if such a conference was held in Thailand, Ms Yingluck said it would depend on the circumstances, timing and appropriateness.

“There are several issues that we can raise as precedents,” she added. “I want to support (democracy) as it is one of the government’s policies. We want all processes to be carried out under the democratic system.”

She emphasised that she did not mean to stir conflict among Thai people and her statement was based on her experiences without pinpointing an individual.

The premier said she has been trying to build confidence towards Thailand in the international community and democracy is one of the elements of confidence.

“We have experienced many countries’ refusal to cooperate with Thailand [after] the coup and [in the] absence of elections,” she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-30

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand’s Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra insisted today that her speech on democracy, made at an international forum in Ulan Bator, Mongolia, was aimed at preventing a future coup in Thailand, and not to clear her brother of offences as she has been widely accused.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that Darlin, maybe someone might believe you one day!

If you wanna prevent a Coup in Thailand, reign in your Red Attack Dogs and respect the principles of Law and Democracy, not this "Dictatorship in a Democratic Glove" that your brother seems intent on pushing for.

Seems she also sees a future of tanks and bulletsbiggrin.png

“I meant to say that Thailand is sincere in our cooperation for the democratic system. It’s the path several countries have chosen. I won’t make such a speech [again] on another stage,” she explained.

You should dear lady make a point of reading a speech before you make, next time you should not trust speech writers whether they be from Thailand, Dubai, Amsterdam or anywhere else

Asked if she would make a similar speech if such a conference was held in Thailand, Ms Yingluck said it would depend on the circumstances, timing and appropriateness.

Err does not that line contradict the first quote, or could "the circumstances" be what big brother tells her to do?

• Like 1

Who wrote your speech?

My bet is that the 'speech' was written in Dubai.

As neither she nor her brother can speak or write even remotely fluent English the only option remaining is [drum roll] Bobby Amsterdam. His trademark is the messing up of facts as he hates to study files (He even compared the Yellow Shirts to Mr Mugabe's "War Veterans", much to Khun Thaksin's dismay). That was also the reason he failed as corporate lawyer and became a self acclaimed "human rights lawyer". With equal success, as his first famous client, Mr Mikhail Khodorkovsky, will gladly confirm, as he got some extra years in a Russian slammer thanks to Mr Amsterdam's relentless lobbying.

• Like 1

"Yingluck said Thailand headed downwards after her brother, ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, was overthrown in a military coup in September 2006."

How was Thailand headed away from democracy when an illegal caretaker PM wouldn't step down and hold democratic elections and why bring it up in Mongolia?

"The prime minister said she had raised the matter for the benefit of the country, and not just her family."

How does publicizing this on the world stage benefit anyone except a convict criminal?

“It was a forum on democracy. We can’t make such a speech elsewhere, and it’s a guideline for many other countries,” she said. “I wasn’t trying to clear my brother of charges against him.”

How can this be a guideline for other countries seeking democratic rule?

Many who don't know me say, 'Why complain?' It is a normal process that governments come and go. And if my family and I were the only ones suffering, I might just let it be. But it is not," Yingluck said.

How have you and your family suffered Yingluck? Was it the lost years away from the trough? The whole of Thailand is suffering under the rule of a convicted criminal, the populist policies he has implemented have cost the Thai treasury trillions and will effect the quality of life of the average Thai for generations to come.

"the premier said she has been trying to build confidence towards Thailand in the international community and democracy is one of the elements of confidence".......

"She pointed her finger at independent agencies. "The so-called independent agencies have abused the power that should belong to the people, for the benefit of the few rather than for Thai society at large," she said.".......

This would be the constitutional court who are just doing there job despite being threatened and protested by Yinglucks government and a redshirt agitation group, How is that democratic?

How is publicizing events from 7 years ago and the fact that your brother who runs your government is a convicted criminal and fugitive from justice and that your government and your red thugs are trying to pervert the judicial system with threats and protests going to build confidence in Thailand?
“We have experienced many countries’ refusal to cooperate with Thailand [after] the coup and [in the] absence of elections,” she said.

There have been 4 elections since the coup, Thaksin won 3 of them.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

Who wrote your speech?

My bet is that the 'speech' was written in Dubai.

As neither she nor her brother can speak or write even remotely fluent English the only option remaining is [drum roll] Bobby Amsterdam. His trademark is the messing up of facts as he hates to study files (He even compared the Yellow Shirts to Mr Mugabe's "War Veterans", much to Khun Thaksin's dismay). That was also the reason he failed as corporate lawyer and became a self acclaimed "human rights lawyer". With equal success, as his first famous client, Mr Mikhail Khodorkovsky, will gladly confirm, as he got some extra years in a Russian slammer thanks to Mr Amsterdam's relentless lobbying.

It may have been written by Abhisits cousin, he is one the PMs advisors and is fluent in English

Two clowns are eating a dead parrot, one says "I like it, but it repeats on me"

Two parrots are eating a dead clown, one says "does this taste funny to you?"

The surviving parrot runs out of material as the clown is dead, and 60 million people are left wondering what the heck happened to their country.

Seems to me she thinks the rest of the people at the conference where air heads and would think that Having a leader who can't enter the country with out going to jail is a good thing.

Flash she was probably the only air head there. She should never have brought up her brother or family.

The participants are all briefed on each other and they all know Thaksin is trying to become a dictator.

Not a very enticing idea if you are considering opening business in Thailand.

And let us not go into the other problems to do it.

• Like 1

What democratic system is she speaking of? Okay all the Yellow Shirts get together and take over the airport until the govenment gives in. Okay all the Red Shirts take over Bangkok until the government gives in. Yep sounds like the democracy we practice in the US. coffee1.gif

I think PM Yingluck, is trying to change the course of history to suit the family and faithfull , whats more the head of government should not be airing dirty linen in another country, the problems Thailand has got, are Thailand's alone , to bring this out in public in a foreign country is unusual to say the least, the people of Mongolia have enough problems without someone else's, one could say that Mongolia couldn't give a toss about Thaksin Shinawatra, neither could anywhere else for that matter, Thaksin WHO!bah.gif

I don't know anything about international diplomacy but isn't it abuse of hospitality to use another country as a forum to air controversy at home not that most Thais would understand as they live in thier own world and the Shinawatras in their own universe. YM has made a complete fool of her self again so I have to wonder how long big brother will let her go on ?

• Like 1

I think PM Yingluck, is trying to change the course of history to suit the family and faithfull , whats more the head of government should not be airing dirty linen in another country, the problems Thailand has got, are Thailand's alone , to bring this out in public in a foreign country is unusual to say the least, the people of Mongolia have enough problems without someone else's, one could say that Mongolia couldn't give a toss about Thaksin Shinawatra, neither could anywhere else for that matter, Thaksin WHO!bah.gif

I don't know anything about international diplomacy but isn't it abuse of hospitality to use another country as a forum to air controversy at home not that most Thais would understand as they live in thier own world and the Shinawatras in their own universe. YM has made a complete fool of her self again so I have to wonder how long big brother will let her go on ?

This has the stink of criminal Thaksin all over it, he is desperate, he hasn't been in the news since he started the south Thailand peace process. The best he could do was some posts on facebook and twitter............

"Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra issued an apology yesterday as part of a Songkran message posted on Facebook".

"Former premier Thaksin Shinawatra wrote on his Twitter page that he is alive and that reports of his death in Dubai is an April's Fool Day hoax."

Thaksin is busy talking, but is anyone listening? http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1204857/thaksin-busy-talking-anyone-listening

Edited by waza

UPDATE:
PM: Speech not meant to help Thaksin

The Nation

30205178-01_big.jpg
Yingluck makes speech in Mongolia on Monday.

Source claims Yingluck personally supervised writing of the address

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday denied trying to "whitewash" the actions of her brother, the former premier Thaksin, with a speech she gave in Mongolia on Monday.

However, an informed source said yesterday that Yingluck had personally supervised the speech until it came out the way it did.

The source said she had initially told the Foreign Ministry to draft the speech so it focused on democracy, however she later had PM's Secretary-General Suranan Vejjajiva change the content.

The source said Yingluck worked on the speech with Suranan during the five-hour flight to Mongolia, well after he initially changed it at Government House. Suranan was asked to include Thaksin's name and make the speech more specific, the source said.

Meanwhile, Yingluck said she simply cited problems that Thailand experienced in order to illustrate a point during her address.

However, in reality, she attacked the 2007 Constitution and charter-sanctioned independent agencies in her speech at the 7th Ministerial Conference of the Community of Democracies in Ulan Bator.

"It's a venue for democracies, so I talked about the situation in Thailand as a lesson. I don't want the same things to happen again and I would like to see our country move forward," she said.

Foreign investors would have confidence in Thailand if the country has a full democracy.

The prime minister said she had not discredited the country; the purpose of the forum was to discuss democracy, so she gave a speech to tell the international community Thailand was sincere about developing its democracy.

"Not at all, I was just describing what happened [in Thailand] as a lesson. We don't want to see similar incidents happen. That was my intention," Yingluck replied when reporters noted that her speech had been interpreted as an attempt to "whitewash" Thaksin.

Asked if she wasn't concerned that her speech would raise the political temperature, Yingluck replied: "I was not quarrelling with anyone. I simply talked about what happened. I was not accusing anyone in particular."

But she declined to commit herself on whether she would give a similar speech if a forum on democracy were held in Thailand. She said it would depend on the situation and timing.

Retired Pol General Vasit Dejkunjorn yesterday posted a message on his Facebook page severely criticising Yingluck over her speech in Ulan Bator.

Some points 'foolish'

Vasit said the speech was full of blunders and that it was pathetic for Yingluck to seek sympathy from the international community over suffering that "stemmed from [alleged] corruption by her brother".

It was "foolish" for Yingluck to announce that she could do nothing to the opponents of democracy in Thailand, when her government had a majority in the House and controlled the military and police, he said.

Vasit said Yingluck sounded like the head of a displaced government seeking support from foreign governments to help her seize power.

Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua, a red-shirt leader, yesterday defended the PM's speech in Mongolia. He claimed it clearly and significantly summed up the political situation in Thailand over the past several years. It conveyed the truth about the political conflict here to other countries and sent a message to people wherever conflicts exist to re-examine the causes of their disputes, he said.

The deputy minister said those who wield power from behind the scenes and independent agencies should realise that Thailand is not alone in the world, but a member of the international community, which accepts democracy as the best system of government.

Natthawut said Yingluck's speech had nothing to do with a recent protest by red shirts against the Constitutional Court, in which they have demanded that the court's nine judges resign.

The Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship did not control all red-shirt groups, and they were free to demonstrate on their own, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-01

Is there a video or transcript of this speech so I can read/hear it for myself?

The text of her April 29 speech in Mongolia:

Mr Chairman, excellencies, delegates to the conference, ladies and gentlemen.

I wish to begin by expressing my appreciation to His Excellency the President of Mongolia for inviting me to speak at this Conference of the Community of Democracies.

I accepted this invitation not only because I wanted to visit a country that has made many achievements regarding democracy, or to exchange ideas and views on democracy. But I am here also because democracy is so important to me, and more importantly, to the people of my beloved home, Thailand.

Democracy is not a new concept. Over the years, it has brought progress and hope to a lot of people. At the same time, many people have sacrificed their blood and lives in order to protect and build a democracy.

A government of the people, by the people and for the people does not come without a price. Rights, liberties and the belief that all men and women are created equal have to be fought, and sadly, died for.

Why? This is because there are people in this world who do not believe in democracy. They are ready to grab power and wealth through suppression of freedom. This means that they are willing to take advantage of other people without respecting human rights and liberties. They use force to gain submission and abuse the power. This happened in the past and still posed challenges for all of us in the present.

In many countries, democracy has taken a firm root. And it is definitely refreshing to see another wave of democracy in modern times, from Arab Spring to the successful transition in Myanmar through the efforts of President Thein Sein, and also the changes in my own country where the people power in Thailand has brought me here today.

At the regional level, the key principles in the ASEAN Charter are the commitment to rule of law, democracy and constitutional government. However, we must always beware that anti-democratic forces never subside. Let me share my story.

In 1997, Thailand had a new constitution that was created through the participation from the people. Because of this, we all thought a new era of democracy has finally arrived, an era without the cycle of coups d’état.

It was not to be. An elected government which won two elections with a majority was overthrown in 2006. Thailand lost track and the people spent almost a decade to regain their democratic freedom.

Many of you here know that the government I am talking about was the one with my brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, as the rightfully elected Prime Minister.

Many who don’t know me say that why complain? It is a normal process that governments come and go. And if I and my family were the only ones suffering, I might just let it be.

But it was not. Thailand suffered a setback and lost international credibility. Rule of law in the country was destroyed. Projects and programmes started by my brother’s government that came from the people’s wishes were removed. The people felt their rights and liberties were wrongly taken away.

Thai means free, and the people of Thailand fought back for their freedom. In May 2010, a crackdown on the protestors, the Red Shirts Movement, led to 91 deaths in the heart of the commercial district of Bangkok.

Many innocent people were shot dead by snipers, and the movement crushed with the leaders jailed or fled abroad. Even today, many political victims remain in jail.

However, the people pushed on, and finally the government then had to call for an election, which they thought could be manipulated. In the end, the will of people cannot be denied. I was elected with an absolute majority.

But the story is not over. It is clear that elements of anti-democratic regime still exist. The new constitution, drafted under the coup leaders led government, put in mechanisms to restrict democracy.

A good example of this is that half of the ThaiSenate is elected, but the other half is appointed by a small group of people. In addition, the so called independent agencies have abused the power that should belong to the people, for the benefit of the few rather than to the Thai society at large.

This is the challenge of Thai democracy. I would like to see reconciliation and democracy gaining strength. This can only be achieved through strengthening of the rule of law and due process. Only then will every person from all walks of life can feel confident that they will be treated fairly. I announced this as part of the government policy at Parliament before I fully assumed my duties as Prime Minister.

Moreover, democracy will also promote political stability, providing an environment for investments, creating more jobs and income. And most importantly, I believe political freedom addresses long term social disparities by opening economic opportunities that would lead to reducing the income gap between the rich and the poor.

That is why it is so important to strengthen the grassroots. We can achieve this through education reforms. Education creates opportunities through knowledge, and democratic culture built into the ways of life of the people.

Only then will the people have the knowledge to be able to make informed choices and defend their beliefs from those wishing to suppress them. That is why Thailand supported Mongolia’s timely UNGA resolution on education for democracy.

Also important is closing gaps between rich and poor. Everyone should be given opportunities and no one should be left behind. This will allow the people to become an active stakeholder in building the country’s economy and democracy.

That is why my Government initiated policies to provide the people with the opportunities to make their own living and contribute to the development of our society. Some of these include creating the Women Development Fund, supporting local products and SMEs as well as help raising income for the farmers.

And I believe you need effective and innovative leadership. Effective in implementing rule of law fairly. Innovative in finding creative peaceful solutions to address the problems of the people.

You need leadership not only on the part of governments but also on the part of the opposition and all stakeholders. All must respect the rule of law and contribute to democracy.

Ladies and gentlemen, another important lesson we have learnt was that international friends matter. Pressure from countries who value democracy kept democratic forces in Thailand alive. Sanctions and non-recognition are essential mechanisms to stop anti-democratic regimes.

An international forum like Community of Democracies helps sustain democracy, seeking to promote and protect democracy through dialogue and cooperation. More importantly, if any country took the wrong turn against the principle of democracy, all of us here need to unite to pressure for change and return freedom to the people.

I will always support the Community of Democracies and the work of the Governing Council. Ialso welcome the President’s Asian Partnership Initiative for Democracy and will explore how to extend our cooperation with it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to end my statement by declaring that, I hope that the sufferings of my family, the families of the political victims, and the families of the 91 people, who lost their lives in defending democracyduring the bloodshed in May 2010, will be the last.

Let us continue to support democracy so that the rights and liberties of all human beings will be protected for future generations to come!

Thank you.

• Like 1

Yingluck – The True PM™ can now add 'propagandist' to her resume'. Her brother is exploiting her and, in the process, destroying her credibility. She avoided controversy like the plague but her brother wouldn't have it, Now they are both known liars.

• Like 1

Who wrote your speech?

It may have been written by Abhisits cousin, he is one the PMs advisors and is fluent in English

Good call thumbsup.gif

she had initially told the Foreign Ministry to draft the speech so it focused on democracy, however she later had PM's Secretary-General Suranan Vejjajiva change the content.

The source said Yingluck worked on the speech with Suranan during the five-hour flight to Mongolia, well after he initially changed it at Government House. Suranan was asked to include Thaksin's name and make the speech more specific, the source said.

What imbecile wrote this utter fairy tale?

"It was not to be. An elected government which won two elections with a majority was overthrown in 2006. Thailand lost track and the people spent almost a decade to regain their democratic freedom."

Martial law was partially revoked in January 2007. The ban on political activities was lifted in July 2007,[36] following the 30 May dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai party. The new constitution was approved by referendum on 19 August, which led to a return to a democratic general election on 23 December 2007.

That looks like 1 years not 10, actually 7years, but I guess that's close to a decade.

"Many of you here know that the government I am talking about was the one with my brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, as the rightfully elected Prime Minister.Many of you here know that the government I am talking about was the one with my brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, as the rightfully elected Prime Minister."

The criminal Thaksin was a caretaker PM...... This speech could have been written by Calgary.

Thai means free, and the people of Thailand fought back for their freedom. In May 2010, a crackdown on the protestors, the Red Shirts Movement, led to 91 deaths in the heart of the commercial district of Bangkok.

Not all were redshirtsMany innocent people were shot dead by snipers, and the movement crushed with the leaders jailed or fled abroad. Even today, many political victims remain in jail.

She is the PM! Her government is in power!!

Interesting point and if she's replaced I wonder how it would be handled ? There's the stock politician's excuse of " spending more time with the family " and a host of other phrases about the best for the country, fresh face, done all i can and so on but little chance of her actually saying " my brother told me I was out ", oh how I wish.

Strange how people keep pushing democracy like it's a magic word.

Paying for votes is definitely not democracy.

When 90% of Americans are in favour of something but it's blocked by people who get paid by big business, that's definitely not democracy.

But people still use the word as it seems to cover up a multitude of sins.