American Cheated By Late Thai Wife Of 20 Million Baht Wants His Assets Back

webfact

have they changed from my brother to my nephew.

A new variation on an old theme? Perhaps there would be reasons why the "my brother" thing wouldn't work in some circumstances - parents known to have no sons or something like that...

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Sunshine51 - yes it is amazing how they cannot understand that company money belongs to the company, not them, getting them involved in a company in this way when they do not have a clue is the first step to stupid, speaking from experience, it was an expensive lesson learned. Our foreign notions of consideration for their plight and the children often tend to lead us to ignore what would be illegal in other countries and work around their idiocy blindly believing that we can control their greed. It never happens. Especially when they have others outside helping them. All my companies are off-shore now, nothing here to be stolen.

give a Thai your finger nail clippings and next thing you will notice you whole arm is missing... keep that in mind

You state things in such an absolute and broad way, I can't figure out how I have lived here for nearly 30 years and not experienced that...

• Like 1

Feel sorry for the guy, but don't understand how he let this happen. How can she have embezzled the money without him knowing? Didn't he check his bank accounts regularly? Things like this are bound to happen if you're so careless with your money.

For all the Thai bashers - this also happens in USA and UK.

Bullsh** about US and UK. Not at this level. Thai women and their familes can put western women to shame with their skills.

Not bull* at all. Read the news. It happens quite often. I bet that more money gets embezzled in USA than anywhere else.

I think you could get embezzled anywhere in the world if you gave someone over $1 million, let them look after it, and didn't bother checking any of your accounts. Sounds more like stupidity than anything else. You you give access to that kind of money to almost anyone, there would be a temptation to steal it.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

Expatdreamer@

"Agree with KuhnPaen above. I too once thought of the possibility of marrying a nice Thai gal, but after reading so many of these stories, I just cant see myself doing it now under any circumstances."

Do you ever stop to think how ludicrous and illogical such thinking is?

Based on a very small sample size (at most a few hundred cases) of Thai

wives scamming her clueless farang husbands, you quickly jump to the

conclusion that all the other millions of Thai ladies are untrustworthy.

Hasn't it never occurred to you that Thai ladies are no more or no less apt

to be deceitful liars than Ozzie women or Brit women or American women

or Russian women of Japanese women or any other women in the world?

This is not rocket science, just common sense.

Expatdreamer@

Not to mention that if she was a "nice Thai girl" you'd have nothing to worry about.

The problem is that as a general rule, foreigners in Thailand are more apt to meet - and too often, trust - those among the Thai populace who ARE deceitful (by the way, all liars are by definition "deceitful").

But whose fault is that?

Edited by SteeleJoe

Wow, poor guy. Hope justice is served.

Ou contrair, the guy came here with 25 million baht- what a great life he could have had with that, but he sets up a company- what in hades for? Then, to compound his error, he gives control to her- talk about being blind to reality!

By all means live with/ marry a Thai woman ( I did/ do ), but there is no need to put temptation in the way of a woman who's loyalty will always be to her family over him.

BTW, the guy is destitute; what sort of life could he give his daughter, because chances of him getting the money back are slim at best. Better off leaving her with them anyway.

A measure of sympathy. The guy was foolish in investing in Thailand with clearly no knowledge of what he was getting into, then add 'love' to the mix! But who of us goes through life without making mistakes? Glad to see that he is at least getting a hearing, most likely months of legal bs, and no win, but at least he is generating a few waves.

Thailand and its people.

What more can one say

Any other respectable country would give a foreigner the right to start a company without the silly rule that a Thai must have 51% of the company.

Any other respectable country would give a foreigner the right to buy a house or own land.

The rules of Thailand open up many venues for cheating, embezzling and stealing.

If a Thai goes to Holland, has the money, can buy land, house, whatever.

You make it sound like its a surprise.... The rules are known before you invest. knowing the above you still wish to invest then 'up to you' I am sure there are non Thai business owners (or part owners) who do make profits and are quite happy. The thread is about being cheated out of money not about running a business here.

Again, if you want to live in, as you term it a 'respectable country' then no one is stopping you.

• Like 1

I always wonder why I feel so damn lucky when I read these horror stories. His story is the same as mine but different, and most definitly a opposite outcome. I don't agree that he doesn't have a chance to win this case. In fact he has a better than 30/70 chance of some sort of honorble settlement.

I wish him all the luck!

That old chestnut..:-) It never fails to amaze me to read about guys losing fortunes in this time-honoured way.....for a start why would anyone marry a Thai bird?? There are thousands of them here ready to share good times with us without the inconvenience of the bad times or, God forbid, losing a few million.....So why fall in the "I love you long time, let's have babies together" trap??.........Call me old-fashioned but I think I prefer my way:-)

Yup, its as simple as that "why would anyone marry a thai bird". I just rent one for a hour or two, or for the night. So cheap and so easy. Wise up fools.

• Like 2

That old chestnut..:-) It never fails to amaze me to read about guys losing fortunes in this time-honoured way.....for a start why would anyone marry a Thai bird?? There are thousands of them here ready to share good times with us without the inconvenience of the bad times or, God forbid, losing a few million.....So why fall in the "I love you long time, let's have babies together" trap??.........Call me old-fashioned but I think I prefer my way:-)

Yup, its as simple as that "why would anyone marry a thai bird". I just rent one for a hour or two, or for the night. So cheap and so easy. Wise up fools.

Unfortunately, it's far cheaper to love one long time and not have to pay every night.

Unless, of course, you're a mug that built the beloved a house, bought her a car and pay her a huge salary just to stay with you.

Expatdreamer@

"Agree with KuhnPaen above. I too once thought of the possibility of marrying a nice Thai gal, but after reading so many of these stories, I just cant see myself doing it now under any circumstances."

And there are farang men (and Thai men) who have married

Thai women (and women in many countries) and given them a life of hell.

It happens everywhere, not nice but realty of life.

On the other hand in this country, all countries the majority of men and women

are decent folks who just want to be happy and make their partner and their kids happy.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

are decent folks who just want to be happy and make their partner and their kids happy.

I would estimate you to be 50-75% correct.

As far as I can see, he's either correct or not. (And I think logic and my experience would indicate that he is.) "Majority" being the key word. Not sure how your percentage makes any sense.

Feel sorry for the guy, but don't understand how he let this happen. How can she have embezzled the money without him knowing? Didn't he check his bank accounts regularly? Things like this are bound to happen if you're so careless with your money.

For all the Thai bashers - this also happens in USA and UK.

Bullsh** about US and UK. Not at this level. Thai women and their familes can put western women to shame with their skills.

Not bull* at all. Read the news. It happens quite often. I bet that more money gets embezzled in USA than anywhere else.

I think you could get embezzled anywhere in the world if you gave someone over $1 million, let them look after it, and didn't bother checking any of your accounts. Sounds more like stupidity than anything else. You you give access to that kind of money to almost anyone, there would be a temptation to steal it.

I didn't say there was a vacuum on the rest of the planet and there was no embezzling outside of Thailand. My comparison was with Thais and US/UK. And we are talking about wives taking such money. You are talking about embezzling in general.

Some of you guys are unnecessarily cruel. The poor guy is reduced to living in wat.

None of us knows the actual circumstances. Maybe he had promised his wife some things, it happens.

Maybe he was a very good human being that was trying to do the right thing and was screwed over?

Maybe he was a cad. Who knows? There are always so many important facts and circumstances of these cases that are never stated, For the sake of decency, perhaps the indignation and condemnation can be turned down a notch?

I have always left my partner in charge of the small spending account usually between 100 and 200K. Even with my ex who did not understand the concept of budgeting and living within one's means, I never had a serious problem. However, one of the reasons we broke up was that after 4 years together, I refused to purchase property in her name. To be honest, I paid attention to the stories in TVF. I was lucky, because the dingbat had gotten into debt without me knowing and there would have been problems down the road including the probably seizure of the asset. I was lucky because I tend to be cautious, listened to my father, and I had a horse shoe up my arse. Was I lucky to have a father to talk it over with? Yes, but I could have been this guy. Not all of us have someone to smack some sense into our heads when we are smitten with "love".

You a said it beauful

I would estimate you to be 50-75% correct.

As far as I can see, he's either correct or not. (And I think logic and my experience would indicate that he is.) "Majority" being the key word. Not sure how your percentage makes any sense.

About 50% of marriages end in divorce. So wanting to make your children happy doesn't appear to be a major concern.

I don't know any children that are happy their parents divorced.

About 50% of divorces are acrimonious (25% of all marriages). So making your partner happy also doesn't appear to be a major concern.

Now if we consider not all marriages have children, and sometimes both partners are happy with the divorce, that logically results in my extrapolated '50-75% correct' statement. I have not included those who remain married, yet hate each other, there are more than a few of those around.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

i think its difficult enough to find justice in the western world, let alone thailand, the only justice you will get is the justice you make.

There was a great movie i seen many years ago, it was about a group of underworld hi profile figures who served justice outside the legal system, when the legal system failed this group stepped in, does anyone recall this movie?

Star Chamber?

thanks midasthailand, i will look it up, cheers

thanks again midasthailand, i found the movie on piratebay, i wanted to watch this movie for a long time but couldnt remember the name

This is the best way to handle people who steal from you but remeber be a man and do it yourself

i think its difficult enough to find justice in the western world, let alone thailand, the only justice you will get is the justice you make.

There was a great movie i seen many years ago, it was about a group of underworld hi profile figures who served justice outside the legal system, when the legal system failed this group stepped in, does anyone recall this movie?

They weren't underworld characters, more like judges etc.

Michael Douglas was in it.

Some of you guys are unnecessarily cruel. The poor guy is reduced to living in wat.

None of us knows the actual circumstances. Maybe he had promised his wife some things, it happens.

Maybe he was a very good human being that was trying to do the right thing and was screwed over?

Maybe he was a cad. Who knows? There are always so many important facts and circumstances of these cases that are never stated, For the sake of decency, perhaps the indignation and condemnation can be turned down a notch?

I have always left my partner in charge of the small spending account usually between 100 and 200K. Even with my ex who did not understand the concept of budgeting and living within one's means, I never had a serious problem. However, one of the reasons we broke up was that after 4 years together, I refused to purchase property in her name. To be honest, I paid attention to the stories in TVF. I was lucky, because the dingbat had gotten into debt without me knowing and there would have been problems down the road including the probably seizure of the asset. I was lucky because I tend to be cautious, listened to my father, and I had a horse shoe up my arse. Was I lucky to have a father to talk it over with? Yes, but I could have been this guy. Not all of us have someone to smack some sense into our heads when we are smitten with "love".

You a said it beauful

And the dingbat you mention could be a male or female partner in any country.

I have relatives and close friends in my country of origin who fit your description perfectly.

I also have relatives and friends in my country of origin who married locals 'unwisely' and got scorched in various forms, and a couple of them repeated it.

In one case a school friend married a very very beautiful girl, always polite to friends and his family etc., and she was a university graduate. She turned out to be an unbelievably selfish woman who demanded his undivided attention 24 hours a day. He (stupidly) did all the household chores, cooking, shopping, washing and ironing etc., because she always had some excuse (in reality she was manipulating driven to be selfish woman), the marriage lasted about 3 years.

I also had one uncle (since departed) who borrowed big money numerous times for gambling, and always lost. He put his wife and kids through a life of misery.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I'd like to know why he'd been in Thailand for 16yrs before investing money in 2005 and had not learnt how to speak and write Thai when he apparently arrived in 1989 with 25million baht with the intention of investment, sorry but sounds like he's just trying to justify his own stupidity to me.

With a company having 666 as its name, well what can i say, bad judgements are costly, especially nowadays. Some folks just weren't meant to be wealthy i guess.

Maybe he can start over with some luck. Back up plans are always smart to setup!

The only reason why its so easy for farangs to marry here is because in the long run it benefits everyone in Thailand (except farangs.)

Anything to do with property Thai companies and justice (lol) is a totally different matter altogether.

The barometer for stupidity is the number of girls hanging around farangs in bar towns. The more farangs the more girls roll up for the money action.