For One To Love Thailand, Must We Hate Our Neighbours?

webfact

Come on......Nationalism is a control technique, what better to divert the attention of the restless masses away from uncomfortable domestic policies than a manufactured dispute with another country?

The masses always fall for it. The North Koreans are starving but they sure hate America, the Palestinians are jobless but they can easily be roused into an anti-Israel rally, The Argentinians suffer continual bouts of economic catastrophe but mention the Falklands and away they go again, and here in Thailand, when things get a bit dodgy, go pick a fight with the Cambodians.

The masses always fall for it.............

The problem is though, you can't control Nationalism, it can easily tip over to Xenophobia, this country is playing with fire. There may be a day in the not too distant future where an event will unleash a Nationalist wave that no one can control.

That's a worry for many.

Agree blether governments

are good at the look at this nice and shiny over here?

and all the plebs fall for it.

Amazes me that people do not see what is really going on most of the time

All politicians are liars IMHO tell you 1 thing do another

Come on......Nationalism is a control technique, what better to divert the attention of the restless masses away from uncomfortable domestic policies than a manufactured dispute with another country?

The masses always fall for it. The North Koreans are starving but they sure hate America, the Palestinians are jobless but they can easily be roused into an anti-Israel rally, The Argentinians suffer continual bouts of economic catastrophe but mention the Falklands and away they go again, and here in Thailand, when things get a bit dodgy, go pick a fight with the Cambodians.

The problem is though, you can't control Nationalism, it can easily tip over to Xenophobia, this country is playing with fire. There may be a day in the not too distant future where an event will unleash a Nationalist wave that no one can control.

That's a worry for many.

You're saying xenophobia hasn't been instilled here for a very long time already?

That's a worry for many.

You're saying xenophobia hasn't been instilled here for a very long time already?

You'll know Xenophobia when you see it.

That's a worry for many.

I've seen it - it's prevalent in Thailand

• Like 1

On my first trip to Myanmar my mate's isaan wife refused to go initially (they are/were at war with the Burmese), but was talked into it and traveled under protest. She spent the entire trip giving dirty looks to the locals.

Where and when?

Many places and often - odd that you never encountered it. Perhaps I should read up on the definition of xenophobia.

Ok, looked it up and the meaning hasn't changed.

I take it you do not believe xenophobia to exist in Thailand

On my first trip to Myanmar my mate's isaan wife refused to go initially (they are/were at war with the Burmese), but was talked into it and traveled under protest. She spent the entire trip giving dirty looks to the locals.

Must be nice for people from isaan to escape to find someone to look down on.

• Like 2

Where and when?

Many places and often - odd that you never encountered it. Perhaps I should read up on the definition of xenophobia.

We're at odds on scale only.......of course there are individuals ( many of them in many societies ) that are Xenophobic, and that applies to Thailand, I am referring to when it goes beyond the actions of the individual and becomes a mob action........

Rwanda being a prime example, but there are numerous examples.

The clue was when I referred to the masses in my post thumbsup.gif

Edited by theblether

That's a worry for many.

I've seen it - it's prevalent in Thailand

I have to agree with Sing on this one. I believe xenophobia is on the rise. We call it nationalism but I think that is incorrect.

Where and when?

We're at odds on scale only.......of course there are individuals ( many of them in many societies ) that are Xenophobic, and that applies to Thailand, I am referring to when it goes beyond the actions of the individual and becomes a mob action........

They might not take to hacking each others arms off yet, but Thailand is to me one of the most regionally divided countries I have ever lived in.

Everyone looks down on isaan, Bangkok looks down on Chiangmai, and the south, well they are just kaeks.

Where and when?

The clue was when I referred to the masses in my post thumbsup.gif

Xenophobia can exist without a mob being formed. Thais are non confrontational. It's more of a passive xenophobia.

''Unlike justice, nationalism is inherently partial and cannot be used as a compass to determine what is truly just.''

I see in Thai people (individually and collectively) more attitudes of 'not caring for others', 'selfishness', 'mai bpen rai', 'absence of responsibility', more so than nationalism.

So it would explain that they would not care about the Cambodian point of view, or just about any other point of view for that matter.

• Like 1

Let me make my post clearer......

When the event that is inevitable befalls Thailand I fear that the current nationalist vein running through Thailand could easily rise to mob Xenophobia.

I'm of the opinion that one of the main players after that event is xenophobic.

Like everyone else I see casual racism everywhere in Thailand, I can see Nationalism everywhere in Thailand, in fact it's used as a glue to keep what is effectively a false construct together, and there is no doubt that there are xenophobic individuals in the country, but I haven't seen a mass xenophobic outbreak yet.

I fear it's coming though.

Where and when?

They might not take to hacking each others arms off yet, but Thailand is to me one of the most regionally divided countries I have ever lived in.

Everyone looks down on isaan, Bangkok looks down on Chiangmai, and the south, well they are just kaeks.

That's because the country is a false construct, is Isaan not more Laos than Thai?

This doesn't only manifest itself in nationalistic reactions to Cambodia.

It is evident in the fact that people often do not respect legal judgements for either political or personal reasons. It is amazing to me how often people resort to taking the law into their own hands when they lose.

I think to be generally a fair statement that Thais despise being found to be in the wrong about anything. Losing face is unbearable.

It is not amazing to me how a child, who is nine year old and has had his or her head pumped full of twisted ideals, will throw a violent tantrum and set fire to your house; literally or figuratively - after they have tried to knife you, shoot you, or get a gang of other nine year old children who have had their minds pumped full of twisted ideals, and make every effort to stomp your head into pulp.

Where and when?

That's because the country is a false construct, is Isaan not more Laos than Thai?

Who knows why, but that is reality isn't it?

''Unlike justice, nationalism is inherently partial and cannot be used as a compass to determine what is truly just.''

I see in Thai people (individually and collectively) more attitudes of 'not caring for others', 'selfishness', 'mai bpen rai', 'absence of responsibility', more so than nationalism.

So it would explain that they would not care about the Cambodian point of view, or just about any other point of view for that matter.

I accept the xenophobic point of view because nationalism can be a positive force and not necessarily a negative one. Maybe the correct description for Thais is a mix of both nationalism and xenophobia. Thais are clearly nationalistic and definitely xenophobic.

Definition of xenophobia:

an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.