Is It Hot Or Is It Me?

jaideeguy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today has been very hot in Chiang Mai, I had dinner with two different sets of Thai friends last week who said it was the hottest they could remember.

It says a high of 38 today, it feels warmer, and the 7 day prediction is 37 / 38.

Amazing........and Western Europe has been suffering from the coldest April of the last 90 years.

What's going on?

I'm due to leave Sydney this week, here the weather has hit new records for the climate. It's the hottest autumn on record and during summer in Australia the temperature went above 50* C so new thermometers will have to be made to show temperatures above that of 50* C, so i have decided to spend the rainy season in the Mediterranean then go to Thailand for Christmas,, i have endured the hot climate there and as much as i hate the cold i also hate the hot humid days i have to endure,, good luck everyone, i feel for you all.

• Like 1

Down to about 5k walk now instead of 10.Very hot and need to drink plenty of water when power walking

I struggled today at the Muay Thai, I usually love the pad work but I was begging for it to be over today. Second session starts at 4.30 as the trainer reckons any time before then would be far too hot to train.

• Like 1

Down to about 5k walk now instead of 10.Very hot and need to drink plenty of water when power walking

I struggled today at the Muay Thai, I usually love the pad work but I was begging for it to be over today. Second session starts at 4.30 as the trainer reckons any time before then would be far too hot to train.

Where do you train Muay Thai?

Where do you train Muay Thai?

There's a gym just by the train station in CM, more or less in the hotel car park. I was there three years ago and enjoyed it, they've removed the boxing ring now and upgraded the equipment, so I think it's better and more open. Very enjoyable.

Edited by theblether

Today has been very hot in Chiang Mai, I had dinner with two different sets of Thai friends last week who said it was the hottest they could remember.

It says a high of 38 today, it feels warmer, and the 7 day prediction is 37 / 38.

Amazing........and Western Europe has been suffering from the coldest April of the last 90 years.

What's going on?

Pssst... Don't mention that. You'll have the loony climate change brigade on here, ranting and spouting at us laugh.png

Don't use aircon, you sweat like a pig when you go out and I always wear jeans, you just get acclimatised. I have always worn jeans in LOS and they seam to keep me cooler, beats burning hot sun on your legs.

Not got a balaclava yet.

Remember your socks also, goes really well with flip flops.

• Like 1

You can buy YOKI powder in 7-11 that stops you sweating for a while. A girl bought me some when I first came to Thailand, it stings a little when you put it on but it does work for a couple of hours. It's good for betty swallocks.

"Or is it my tolerance for heat going down with age going up in years??

Do they make a 'chill pill'?"

The average maximum temperature is always in the mid-30's this time of year. More likely your tolerance is declining. One reason could be suboptimal thyroid function. Too much or too little thyroid can result in heat intolerance. Here's some anecdotal evidence:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/642169-hypothyroid-heat-intolerance.html

I take locally made dessicated thyroid. When I get the dose just right I can tolerate zero degrees in Manchester and 36 degrees in Pattaya.

We have been looking at 38 - 41 degrees up here in Phitsanulok for the last three weeks or so. Aircons getting a good run!

Actually looking forward to the rain, at least for the first couple of days before complaining about it.................wink.png

Try - http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=VTCC&StateCode=&SafeCityName=Chiang_Mai&Units=none&IATA=WUI&lastyear=on&normals=on&records=on

Seems to indicate hotter than recent averages. As last year was hot too, does that mean it is in fact getting generally warmer - back to climate change.

Still tending to think it might be cheaper to use air con in Thailand than heating in the UK. It got up to high 30s just before I left CM and I found the best way to deal with it was get up at dawn, do my stuff, be back in the appartment (or a cool mall etc) by noon, chill, then go out after dusk. Mad dogs and Englishmen...

Is it hot? I thought that was the idea of retiring in Thailand, to catch some warm weather, theres no pleasing some people, and if jaideeguy has only just realised that its getting hotter well beleive me I've just returned from the UK where it was snowing in March, I know which I prefer. Quit whingeing and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Is it hot? I thought that was the idea of retiring in Thailand, to catch some warm weather, theres no pleasing some people, and if jaideeguy has only just realised that its getting hotter well beleive me I've just returned from the UK where it was snowing in March, I know which I prefer. Quit whingeing and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

It kinda depends how long you have been here, i been here a couple of years and i prefer it over the cold but even so its real hot right now and prefer the colder season.

Here near Korat we are usually 3 to 4C below Bangkok and Pattaya. This year we are 3 to 4C above Pattaya and Bangkok. High thirties seems to be the norm and occasionally breaks the forties barrier. Been humid as well. I think I am being slowly acclimatised for my next life.

How's the weight loss going?

How's the weight loss going?

I'll update the other thread just now.

Past 2 days very hot mid afternoon out in the sun

50 km North west of BKK, had to close the windows in the bedroom last night and put the air con on.. [not simple as have 8 windows in master bedroom, normally open 24/7]

No idea how hot but needed the toilet and the landing and upstairs bathroom felt hot, back in bedroom was cold, Air con set at 28, wake up at 4am freezing and switch air con off........ dread to think how I could manage in UK

Leave the windows open at night???? Are there not any mosquitos where you live? I have to keep my windows closed at night.

Someone told me the unpleasant hot feeling became really irritating when the air temperature combined with humidity level, constantly felt hotter than your skin's temperature.

I didn't understand that, but I think I have been feeling it for quite a few days now.

Next month's electricity bill will be scary.

As I type this, I am melting into a puddle of sweat and oil....... A large puddle blink.png

Normally i dont use the aircon during the day but now I do at 28 degrees just enough to get a bit more comfortable.