Question Re: The Russian Invasion

patsfangr

I never read on here about the Russians complaining about exchange rates, piss poor pensions, medical insurance, being refused visa extensions etc etc.

Of course you haven't because this is an English language forum and very few Russians post on here.

I'll bet if there's a Russian language forum about Pattaya you'll hear them bitching about plenty.

I'm sure they also don't like many things about Pattaya. How many of them are repeat visitors? That could be a small percentage only.

I'll bet if there's a Russian language forum about Pattaya you'll hear them bitching about plenty.

So the Russians love their children too.

They are just like us then, no different from the farangs bitching and moaning about Pattaya, dont discuss our differences celebrate what we have in common.

You've lost me.

My reply was in response to this gem from you (I'll make it bold too):

I never read on here about the Russians complaining about exchange rates, piss poor pensions, medical insurance, being refused visa extensions etc etc.

Of course they're not going to post on an English forum, are they?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are complaining, because not everybody speaks Russian and there is no Russian food everywhere as they were told when they booked their trip to Pattaya( according to a nice Russian guy I met)

This always gets me, you go somewhere foreign for a holiday and expects to have food from home? If you've been here for years I'd understand that you'd crave something from home, but first day in and you don't even want to try local food?

There's already too many restaurant trying to cater to these guys serving frozen Russian food anyways

I'd settle for having Russian translation in menus but not Russian food in restaurants where they don't belong, it's bad enough that all the farang restaurants in Pattaya have to cater to the bar girls with a Thai menu tuck away at the back page, soon there'll have to be a separate Russian menus in French or Dutch restaurants too?

To be fair, the Thais does the same to when they go abroad in a big tour group, first meal in a foreign city, Europe, or even in Asia like Japanese or Korean is a visit to a Thai or Chinese restaurant there.

I don't really know that but I'm curious. Are they a whingeing bunch, the Russkies?

My Russian teacher told me that Russian are quite pessimistic, their culture expects them to suffer as part of the psyche or something , for example when they greet each other when one say "How are you?" at best the reply would be "not bad" never "good" and they would break the ice more if one were to have something bad to say like, "my business is bad as usual yada..., Met an Enlish guy on the baht bus today...."

• Like 1

This always gets me, you go somewhere foreign for a holiday and expects to have food from home? If you've been here for years I'd understand that you'd crave something from home, but first day in and you don't even want to try local food?

Not everyone goes on holiday to experience foreign culture. They may just be interested in the climate and beach.

Did it occur to you that availability of Russian food could be a strong selling point to Russian tourists?

Of course you haven't because this is an English language forum and very few Russians post on here.

I'm sure they also don't like many things about Pattaya. How many of them are repeat visitors? That could be a small percentage only.

So the Russians love their children too.

They are just like us then, no different from the farangs bitching and moaning about Pattaya, dont discuss our differences celebrate what we have in common.

You've lost me.

My reply was in response to this gem from you (I'll make it bold too):

Of course they're not going to post on an English forum, are they?

The Russians love their children too, is a reference to the song Russians by Sting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians_%28song%29

As for posting on an English forum, I really have no idea, there have been a couple of posts on here from Russians I remember.

Maybe George could set up a Russian language version of Thaivisa.

Not everyone goes on holiday to experience foreign culture. They may just be interested in the climate and beach.

Did it occur to you that availability of Russian food could be a strong selling point to Russian tourists?

I don't mind if they were to go to Russian restaurants for Russian foods, in fact I like Pattaya for the fact that you can get such a variety of genuine cusine that's catered to the expats, be it Farang German, Swiss, French, Korean or Japanese, I even like it that I can buy russian dumplings together with English pork pie in Supermarkets

but not every other Thai or English restaurants on Jomtien beach road should bend over themselves to have borsch on the menu,

Pattaya becoming more cosmopolitan is a good thing, I'd never imagine that I'd get to enjoy Russian Food or learn their language, but I have now.

But I don't want Pattaya to be to Russia what Corfu/Tenerife/Ibiza is to the Brits.

I think it is a Russian restaurant next to the supermarket in Central on the ground floor and it really stinks when I ever walked past it.

I don't think I will be hurrying to eat Russian food anytime soon.

Besides I don't think the type of food matches up well with a tropical climate. Not that it stops the Brits eating their stodgesmile.png

There are different levels of Russian food. I've had some great Russian food in my life. In America. Not here. Lots of quantity of Russian food here. The quality is another question.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't mind if they were to go to Russian restaurants for Russian foods, in fact I like Pattaya for the fact that you can get such a variety of genuine cusine that's catered to the expats, be it Farang German, Swiss, French, Korean or Japanese, I even like it that I can buy russian dumplings together with English pork pie in Supermarkets

but not every other Thai or English restaurants on Jomtien beach road should bend over themselves to have borsch on the menu,

Pattaya becoming more cosmopolitan is a good thing, I'd never imagine that I'd get to enjoy Russian Food or learn their language, but I have now.

But I don't want Pattaya to be to Russia what Corfu/Tenerife/Ibiza is to the Brits.

who do you think cares what you want or don't want? huh.png

• Like 1

Why are Russian charter flights so cheap??

One reason is the 2 hrs of flight time they save over western Europe, but the bigger advantage is cheaper fuel, I assume.

Diesel and gasoline at the pumps there is only just over half the price from EU countries, if that's an indicator.

please tell us what commercial passenger aircrafts are using Diesel or Gasoline smile.png

We are not guests in the Kingdom. Where do people get that daft idea? Look up the definition of guest.

That's true. I have to pay for everything while I'm here, so I'm definitely not a guest. Most people will be tolerated as long as they're able to pay.smile.png

I use the term guest as we can be asked to leave at any time by our hosts. Visitors and expats for the most part do not have permanent residency, so we are guests of the Thai government, given permission to stay or extension to stay based on some criteria. Tolerated or not, what term would you use to describe your continued permission to stay in the country?

I would reply to JT but I'm afraid his head will burst into fire. smile.png

strange things happen to me. when i'm a guest in a restaurant i am supposed to pay for food and drinks. when i am a guest in a hotel they also want me to pay for my room, room service and minibar.

does that mean i am not a guest? a little thinking before typing goes a long way people! tongue.png

We are not guests in the Kingdom. Where do people get that daft idea? Look up the definition of guest.

That's true. I have to pay for everything while I'm here, so I'm definitely not a guest. Most people will be tolerated as long as they're able to pay.smile.png

I use the term guest as we can be asked to leave at any time by our hosts. Visitors and expats for the most part do not have permanent residency, so we are guests of the Thai government, given permission to stay or extension to stay based on some criteria. Tolerated or not, what term would you use to describe your continued permission to stay in the country?

strange things happen to me. when i'm a guest in a restaurant i am supposed to pay for food and drinks. when i am a guest in a hotel they also want me to pay for my room, room service and minibar.

does that mean i am not a guest? a little thinking before typing goes a long way people! tongue.png

In the classy establishments (that you use), they may call you a guest but you are really a customer.

• Like 1

I've never consider myself a guest when I eat at restaurants. A hotel guest - you got me there.biggrin.png

I don't consider myself a guest in Thailand. Do you?

Edited by tropo

I think the guest semantics kerfuffle is worthy of its OWN thread. Or even a poll!

So why are you doing it?

Probably because we got hit with one of the most annoying cliches we hear too often on this forum....

"We're only (barely) tolerated guests here in Thailand, so if you don't like it, then leave"... or something to that effect.

• Like 1

One area is safe from the Russians, even in Pattaya. Gay bars.

You're misinformed. Some Russian gays travelling here but much more so Russian LADIES love those places. They definitely change the flavor of a gay bar. I'm am wondering if you really thought that when you wrote it, but now you now.

You're misinformed. Some Russian gays travelling here but much more so Russian LADIES love those places. They definitely change the flavor of a gay bar. I'm am wondering if you really thought that when you wrote it, but now you now.

I wonder how Potosi came to the conclusion there are no gay men in Russia.

I wonder how Potosi came to the conclusion there are no gay men in Russia.

Well, it is true that culturally as a generality modern Russians are more homophobic than modern western Europeans. But they still have their gays and they want to travel to Pattaya too!

Gay, lesbian and transgender people aren't widely accepted in Russia, a

post-Soviet nation with a population of nearly 143 million. The

estimated number of LGBT Russians is unknown.

Russian political and social life is heavily influenced by the

conservative traditions and extreme sexual restrictions of the Russian

Orthodox Church.

http://gaylife.about.com/od/world/a/russian.htm

Edited by Jingthing

Are these ladies straight or gay?

Straight! Get the issue?

Straight! Get the issue?

Perhaps they're working girls who want to have a good time on their night off without being hit on.

Does it feel like an invasion?

They can get away with discrimination here - if it is a problem can't they just tell them they're not welcome.

Money is welcome from whoever. Lots of tour groups, Chinese, etc. No not Russian sex workers, just drunken rowdy tourists. The local gay bar industry is in trouble because of the INTERNET. I don't blame the bars for making money but as said it changes the flavor of their product.

Edited by Jingthing

Ignoring the sorry attempt at diversion, back to topic.

Are there issues with the more homophobic Russians mixing with sexual minorities in Pattaya?

The only thing I have noticed so far is very rude behavior of groups of Russians openly mocking/point at/laughing at transgender people on baht buses.

I haven't seen them react much to obvious gay couples including obvious bar pickup situations, other than some staring of course, maybe a little nastily, but that isn't anything.

Interestingly, again just an anecdotal observation, the crude behavior I have seen from Russian groups directed at transgenders I have NOT seen from people from other cultures that some might think of as homophobic cultures, such as Iranians and Arabs.

I think the ideal feeling for people enjoying Pattaya is live and let live, it might not be like home, but that's part of the fun.

My experience obviously is anecdotal. I would not be surprised if over time if there are more incidents of conflict between homophobic Russians and sexual minorities in town.

Edited by Jingthing

Interestingly, again just an anecdotal observation, the crude behavior I have seen from Russian groups directed at transgenders I have NOT seen from people from other cultures that some might think of as homophobic cultures, such as Iranians and Arabs.

Because a lot of those are single men, who are in Pattaya for the same reason as most Western men; they're not the religious crazies. Also, Iran may be a more complex country then you'd think just watching (most) Western media. Gender reassignment operations for example are common, actually Iran is second in the world only to Thailand, and even covered under health insurance: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/iran-sex-change-operation_n_1568604.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexuality_in_Iran

Money is welcome from whoever. Lots of tour groups, Chinese, etc. No not Russian sex workers, just drunken rowdy tourists. The local gay bar industry is in trouble because of the INTERNET. I don't blame the bars for making money but as said it changes the flavor of their product.

For the better? smile.png Isn't the underlying issue that those bars aren't quite as 'gay' as Western gays (or straights for that matter) would like to believe, with a good number of the men who work there not even (exclusively) gay but just there to make some more money? It also happens that Thai (working) girls visit those places (or visit the male sex workers after hours). Probably straight people are as welcome there as customers as gay people would be in regular bars; fun people bringing Baht tend to be welcome anywhere.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

In the classy establishments (that you use), they may call you a guest but you are really a customer.

yeah right! they call me Farang but i am a paying customer in Thailand.

next intelligent remark please coffee1.gif