Monday, May 6 - Coronation Day Holiday

Tywais

Just a reminder that Monday is a national holiday (Coronation day - Sunday (5th), Monday (6th) is substitution day).

Thailand Coronation Day

Coronation Day or Wan Chattra Mongkol is a public holiday in Thailand to commemorate the anniversary of the coronation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej as Rama IX, the ninth king of Chakri dynasty. People in Thailand celebrate Coronation Day on 5 May every year.

When is Thailand Coronation Day 2013?

Thailand Coronation Day 2013 falls on Sunday, 5 May 2013. Since Coronation Day 2013 falls on Sunday, Monday will be observed as a substitute holiday.

Origin of Coronation Day

The first Coronation Day was celebrated on 6 April 1851 when King Mongkut was crowned as King Rama IV. Prior to that time, there was no special Coronation Day celebration since the coronation of the King was held by only high ranking officials. Noticing the importance of Coronation Day in the other countries, King Rama IV issued a royal announcement to hold a formal ceremony for his Coronation Day. To make it easier to understand, the day was named “Ceremony to Commemorate the Royal Regalia”. This tradition continues, and the date when King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s was crowned Rama IX of Thailand is observed as the current Coronation Day.

Source

You forgot to add important information that alcohol will not be sold on this day?

Not important to me, I don't drink. tongue.png

Not sure if that is true or not though as it is not a Buddhist holiday nor a Royal birthday. Someone else may have that info.

• Like 1

A day to commemorate the Coronation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great in 1949. The day is celebrated as a national holiday, and all government offices and commercial banks will closed for the day. Alcohol is sold.

• Like 1

Banks closed?

Main branches will be but will be able to use the smaller ones in shopping centers.

Just don't go to Airport Central ... traffic and parking nightmare on weekends and holidays!

I had to drive past yesterday, May 1st (semi-holiday), and traffic was banked up a kilometre on all approaches!

Tip: if you have to visit Airport Central, go early ~10 am and parking is not too bad!

Banks closed?

Main branches will be but will be able to use the smaller ones in shopping centers.

Just don't go to Airport Central ... traffic and parking nightmare on weekends and holidays!

I had to drive past yesterday, May 1st (semi-holiday), and traffic was banked up a kilometre on all approaches!

Tip: if you have to visit Airport Central, go early ~10 am and parking is not too bad!

You too? I was talked in to taking some friends to see some ghastly movie, and it took forever to find a parking spot.

Once parked, we battled crowds to the theatre queues, only to be told that tickets were sold out for the next 8 hours.

I got but of that one, but 40km round trip through the traffic for nowt. sad.png

You too? I was talked in to taking some friends to see some ghastly movie, and it took forever to find a parking spot.

Once parked, we battled crowds to the theatre queues, only to be told that tickets were sold out for the next 8 hours.

I got but of that one, but 40km round trip through the traffic for nowt. sad.png

More to illustrate how desperately we need more shopping malls with cinemas. Relief should be here by this time next year though!

More to illustrate how desperately we need more shopping malls with cinemas. Relief should be here by this time next year though!

With BKK sinking at an 'alarming rate' + Airport Centrals out-of-control parking/traffic ... yep, all the new Malls and Moobans will certainly be needed. coffee1.gif ....

... in 10 or 15 years!