Intellectual Stimulation

seonai

We all have to come up to the surface for an intellection fix now and again,

Play chess ? if not start, get a game in a day,

Set some links up for most of the national and international papers,

(and yes, the New York Times among others can be hilarious),

remember, 90% of the story is in the headline anyway, the other 10% is just pulp and details,

I've butted in, excuse me, politely interjected in many overheard conversations in coffee shops, etc, and ended up meeting and making some new unexpected friends, being on the slightly over-caffeinated side my day always begins or intersects with a cafe or two,

Start writing your memoirs, blogs, or just a running commentary on the condition of man,

and of course there's intelligence-o-plenty down at the bar ... :D

homer(underwear,w,sm).gif

Oh yes.... THE BAR! I forgot about THE BAR!!! :o

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start a new interest: I like taking photographs. Maybe you like to grow things, like a garden. Lately, I have been thinking about all the wonderful opportunities I have been wasting here, because I am now planning to leave in the next 3 to 6 months.

You know what springs to mind? Learning how to do Batik, learning Muay Thai, and learing how to really meditate. I also wouldn't mind going home knowing how to make a really great green curry.

Is there something that you really want to learn more about?

I agree with Kat. I am lucky in that I travel regularly and so have a good supply of books to read, as well meeting people I can talk to.

But, for example, I noticed a lot of different types of dragonfly in my garden - so next couple of days were occupied with photographing them - then a good bit of time on the internet trying to identify them - then, realising some of the different ones were male and female of the same species, back out in the garden to watch them again... there isn't enough time in the day to do everything :o

Another great learning opportunity is my wife - trying to understand her and her culture - I think that is a project I will never complete :D:D .

And as someone else mentioned earlier - I have also done arts degree by distance learning - my education was scientific, so nice to branch out.

You have made a very thought provoking post Seonia.

It must be difficult when you are in a rather isolated place to get the "Menta Food" to sustain your needs.

Fortunatley you are lucky that several members have made some first class suggestions that it would appear that you are going to follow up.... just shows that it was not a silly post :D

I am surprised at TWAP's remark... I think he must have mis-spelled his name replace the P with a T and I think that his post would be more relevant to his name :D

For myself... I am very fortunate. I have this forum as Daleyboy said, plenty of opportunity for Mental Stimulation here... and also to observe those that obviously need more.

When I first moved up to CM from BK I must admit that I felt isolated myself, I had many friends and a Son in BK but I did not want to put my roots down there once I got married.

However once I got here and onto the local CM forum I was amazed at how freindly farang guys are up here (not saying they are not elsewhere). I now have a small circle of freinds, I dont want a big one, we don't go out very often, but we chat on the phone and send messages to one another etc....and then we are lucky that we have a restaurant in Hang Dong ... I get to meet some lovely people there, and many of them are also becoming freinds... they call me when they are coming so I can make sure I am there... so most days I get to spend 3 hours or so boring the pants off my Wife's customers :D I get to meet some fascinating folk. we are also organising a bit of Golf too , so more of us TV Posters will meet throgh partaking in this activity

I also get the paper everyday and am taking Computer Skills lessons every week as I really missed out on the Computer Generation and have a lot of catching up to do.

I now feel very comfortable as to where my "head" is :o Others may disagree of course!!

I know that you are Scottish Lass so you will already have a warm and freindly personality as most Scots I have met are blessed with this (well maybee not Rab C Nesbitt :D ) It really is amazing how many freinds you CAN make on this forum, maybee organise a bit of a bash for TV members at your place, or a bar neraby and you may be surprised at how many TV members are not to far away... just a thought

TP

Books, internet, teaching itself (you find out how much you really know about a topic when you're teaching it)...

but for the greatest social intellectual stimulation, I try to keep a group of friends who are an average age 20 years greater than my own. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep that up once I'm in my seventies and older, though... :o

"Steven"

- then you try 20 years younger and the effect is the same :D

Edit >> this is speculation - not there yet !!!!!

Edited by phibunmike

Seonai, whatever you decide about your source of "food for brain", make sure one thing: don't limit it to participation in TV ! :o

yes, most of others here are bored that's why most of conversations are repeatedly same, with "intellectual" being "Thaksin-bashing". and perhaps the brightest and most popular one is - Rain ..... :D

in Thailand I think there is no problems with association or books.

I have enough of both, can't complain. I am lucky to have a spouse who provides me with enough intellectual association.

but I know what is like to be in some isolated place - especially if you DON't speak local language (doesn't matter intellectual level of people in you place then) as you do . I have spent more than year in small town, almost village, in middle Taiwan.

yes, books, internet (particular thematic chat rooms or websites as I recall I was fond of virtualtourist.com - great place to make people and share experiences).

I think I can advice you one other thing which it seems so far no one else has done - you can write. it can be a diary, or simply thoughts. sort of - conversation with yourself. trust me, there is no better mate for conversation or intellectual association than you own self ! it is just a test to face yourself, your life. it is challenging, yes - yet very interesting and beneficial ! as my friend said : "being alone and being lonely is not the same". in modern world we simlpy get used to think so, and become totally lost when be alone.

so, try to learn being alone without being lonely - you will learn a great deal ! in fact there is nothing more rewarding ! face yourself and learn to be friend with your dear self, don't instead try to run away from yourself as we always do by one thing or another. this situation you are placed in would become a blessing for you eventually - you will see. those interesting people, travellers who leave next day are all temporary, in fact even most of others who stay longer. but YOU will always stay with yourself, won't you ? :D you will be with yourself always and everywhere - and if you learn to be with yourself, you'll never be troubled. and this your minor problem of lack of intellectual association or stimulation would be easily solved ! face yourelf and

so, writing (to or for yourself) helps a lot - try it !

Edited by aaaaaa

It is a bit of a challenge here, (I'm across the gulf from seonai).

I've had many intellectual conversations here (in Pattaya), sadly, they were all one-sided, as the people I was conversing with spoke Thai :o

So what to do ?

As many have suggested, books (usually from online book stores). Lots of reading on the internet. Certain games (chess is good, puzzles, even some computer games like "The 7th Guest" or "The Eleventh Hour", which challenge you in a variety of ways).

You already speak Thai so you are way ahead of me :D but that is something I try in order to broaden my range of options.

Certain topics here can be stimulating. I often find myself scouring the 'net for facts, tidbits and information in general for what ever topic I may be involved in.

Often I run across very interesting stuff that distracts me for a period, and maybe even leads to searching for more information on the subject.

None of it really replaces a good face-to-face conversation though. The reality is that we are all individuals. Finding two people in the same place at the same time, that share the same ideas and interests is not that easy, even large cities. The challenge is even greater when you move to a small community in a foreign country.

Many people got used to having great discussions in college/university. They had/have the advantage of being surrounded by people with similar interests (say for example, your philosophy/archaeology/arts/science classmates). But after graduating, everyone goes their separate ways and along with them go the great conversations.

Maybe that in itself can provide some intellectual stimulation. Getting stimulated while trying to find stimulation !

Your in patters? surounded by ex-pats? and can't have intellectual conversations? ... I knew it was bad there! But I always thought it was just my inebriated weekend escapes from BKK that made it that way!

If you listen to the OP ... intellectual convos with Thais (at least in her backwoods location) just isn't possible

strangely I have good discussions with Thais in both Eng and Thai almost daily...

I can imagine that Bangkok people are alot more clued into the outside world, and this isn't saying there won't be people like that on Seonai's island, but from my own personal experience on my island, they are few and far between. There is something incredibly insular about living on an island that one finds even oneself getting less and less concerned with the outside world (after all, that is THEIR problem not ours --if you see what I mean).

I can imagine that Bangkok people are alot more clued into the outside world, and this isn't saying there won't be people like that on Seonai's island, but from my own personal experience on my island, they are few and far between. There is something incredibly insular about living on an island that one finds even oneself getting less and less concerned with the outside world (after all, that is THEIR problem not ours --if you see what I mean).

You'll find excatly the same thing back in Farangland too. Go to a small island off Scotland, or the Isle of Wight say off England, and foreigners visiting there too - may say the locals arent very adaptive to 'intellectual stimulation'.

I DO see what you and seonai mean, but if you were to go to such an island in Farangland now, you would probably think exactly the same thing about the locals there too.

We are all conditioned in our own very unique ways, so what is viewed as 'intellectually stimulating by one' may not be viewed as such, by another.

I dont think the locals in Koh Tarutao, Sililans or Phang-ngan have any kind of......such problem.

Edited by stevesuphan

You'd be surprised. My husband complains about it, also the lack of bookstores (for thai language books) as well. He is on the internet quite a bit, checking out the Thai language political forums as well as other things.

Perhaps he is unusual, and that is what attracted me to him in the first place, I don't know. I only know that he, at the least, has such problems.

Totally agree SteveSuphan,

I have visited many Scottish islands and the people are even wary of mainlanders!!!!!!

And sure, it's my choice to be here, I just wanted to hear all your ideas.

Kerryd - thanks for a sweet reply.

AAAAAAAA - well I write because I am a writer - that's my job - but a diary...... maybe????

Seonai

Start a new interest: I like taking photographs. Maybe you like to grow things, like a garden. Lately, I have been thinking about all the wonderful opportunities I have been wasting here, because I am now planning to leave in the next 3 to 6 months.

You know what springs to mind? Learning how to do Batik, learning Muay Thai, and learing how to really meditate. I also wouldn't mind going home knowing how to make a really great green curry.

Is there something that you really want to learn more about?

I agree with Kat. I am lucky in that I travel regularly and so have a good supply of books to read, as well meeting people I can talk to.

But, for example, I noticed a lot of different types of dragonfly in my garden - so next couple of days were occupied with photographing them - then a good bit of time on the internet trying to identify them - then, realising some of the different ones were male and female of the same species, back out in the garden to watch them again... there isn't enough time in the day to do everything :o

Another great learning opportunity is my wife - trying to understand her and her culture - I think that is a project I will never complete :D:D .

And as someone else mentioned earlier - I have also done arts degree by distance learning - my education was scientific, so nice to branch out.

Thanks Mike. I love what you said about the dragonflies - I must remember to look for them next time I'm in a lovely garden. For me, staying intellectually stimulated starts with the basic core of a person's self - exploration and discovery. Learning is the way I stay intellectually stimulated. Therefore, WHERE is not the question for me.

Not mentioned here yet is the availability of BBC network radio online - either "live" or much of it as on-demand "listen again" for 7 days after live broadcast - with plenty of good drama, discussions, documentaries, varied music etc.

This is plainly a passive resource albeit that there are quite a few online message boards and forums associated with a lot of the output.

Almost certainly requires a steady/fast internet connection? That said, BBC are also trialing "podcast" of some of their output whereby you can download and save (mainly talk) programmes for personal use; that would work even over a dial-up connection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

Edited by Steve2UK

BTW, seonai, you could always write long postings on Thaivisa telling us about your life and loves, just like the Gentleman Scamp - you could mange that couldn't you?

Why ON EARTH would Seonai want to do THAT :o

She and TGS have absolutley NOTHING in common as well you know TM :D

Hmmmmmm....... thanks but no thanks TM !!!!!!!!

Can u access Radio 4 on your computer TM? That would be fab..... Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah da da .....

Sorry. What time are the Archers on in Thailand???????

How base.... imagine admitting on an active forum that you like a radio 'soap' !!!!!!! (National Institution perhaps sounds better.) Anyway it's so long since I've been in Blighty that The Archers might not even be on any more :o

I realise this may be a difficult one but...... well it's something I sort of thrive on - food for the brain. Where do you all get yours? I am geographically challenged so decent conversations face to face are few. And when they do come, it's a tourist who is leaving tomorrow!!!! Right now I read the Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian online.

I particularly enjoy the biographies, interviews, opinion pieces, book sections etc.

Anyone know of any other good sources on the web for reading?

Seonai

Have you tried Open Democracy?

http://www.opendemocracy.net

Lawling