Who Maintains Balcony Railings On Condo?

I have a condo unit on the 9th floor and the railings have rusted completely through. Am I responsible for replacing these or are they part of the building that the condo maintenance is responsible for?

I am assuming that since they are on the outside of the building and also a safety feature the building should be responsible.

• Like 1

I concluded,as a consequence of trying to understand my Chanote,that both the balcony wall and the corridor wall were both common property.

Only with this conclusion could i make any sense of the dimensions which feature of the Chanote.

If I am correct -then the building is responsible for the maintenance of the railings.

I would suggest that you measure your condo and see if you reach the same conclusion.

If you do then you have evidence to present to the committee

To measure would be very difficult as it is a large condo with many rooms. Too much room for error. I do believe they included the balconies in the floor space but I don't know if it included the balcony wall and railing. But since they would not let my put different railings of my choice (glass panels) I would think they should be responsible.

To measure would be very difficult as it is a large condo with many rooms. Too much room for error. I do believe they included the balconies in the floor space but I don't know if it included the balcony wall and railing. But since they would not let my put different railings of my choice (glass panels) I would think they should be responsible.

Did they object to all replacement railings, or just rejected the idea of glass panels (management might get a bit jittery at the thought of a glass panel falling on someone's head from 9 floors up)

I would be very surprised if they put new railings in for you, but I wish you luck with it. As far as you putting the railings of your choice.... I get tired of dealing with them.... I just started doing as I please. It hasn't come to bite me yet.

They originally said it was my responsibility to replace the railings. Then I said I would like to replace with plexiglass or something of that nature. They said I could not change the look of the building. My response was then it was not my responsibility if I could not do as I wished with it.

Good news is if I understood them right they came back and said they would take care of it.

In reality they have been very good about the maintenance and trying to keep us happy.

They originally said it was my responsibility to replace the railings. Then I said I would like to replace with plexiglass or something of that nature. They said I could not change the look of the building. My response was then it was not my responsibility if I could not do as I wished with it.

Good news is if I understood them right they came back and said they would take care of it.

In reality they have been very good about the maintenance and trying to keep us happy.

It depends on where your unit is, but like I said, I would consider just doing what you want. I guess each case is different. The way I see it, I mean people are putting newspaper on their windows..... I think you should just go for it and chance it, unless you are a very visible unit and the railing would stand out noticeably. I really think this is the answer with these people many times. Just put the railing you want.

Edited by utalkin2me

I concluded,as a consequence of trying to understand my Chanote,that both the balcony wall and the corridor wall were both common property.

Only with this conclusion could i make any sense of the dimensions which feature of the Chanote.

If I am correct -then the building is responsible for the maintenance of the railings.

I would suggest that you measure your condo and see if you reach the same conclusion.

Yes they are part of exterior and should be part of common area hence paid by the condo management

Edited by givenall

Yes they are part of exterior and should be part of common area hence paid by the condo management

:)

This condominium balcony railings maintenance issue seems to be quite a common problem in Pattaya...

yea------------ a lot of farang test them by leaning heavily on them-----------------seems to work