Moo Bahn Security

Renting in a nice gated community with excellent security that has apparently been as good for about 10 years. I have friends whose place had security initially then they did away with security and maintenance. What are your thoughts and experiences, is security overated? Should you focus more on securing your house than worrying about having rentaguards when looking for a new house. I personally like the idea that that people have to sign in to gain access.

I would prefer a place with security...at least you got someone roaming the moobaan and conducting security at the gate. It greatly cuts down the number of "folks" in the moobaan looking for something to steal. But I'm sure some folks may say "there is always" someone in my home so I effectively have a live-in security guards. Personally I prefer moobaans with security. So many moobaans give up security and maintenance because they can no longer afford the costs, too many residents don't pay, etc. Then there are other moobaans, like mine, where you we paid an upfront payment as part of the land/home buy which covers security and community maintenance for life. The charge is usually based on how many square wah of land you buy. My moobaan/gate community is a large moobaan of approx. 750 houses so this type of payment upfront works from an economy of scale standpoint especially for security...probably don't take anymore security guards to man the gate and roam the soi's for a 750 home moobaan as compared to a 50-100 home moobaan; for small moobaans they would probably have to go with monthly payments.

And having some home security built-in is good such as maybe bars on the first story windows, deadbolt locks, high enough fence to prevent easy jump over, etc.

Edited by Pib

security is nice but remember they are rent a cop and they work for themselves and when you really need them they will not preform.

I live in a condo and finally we got a good security after firing two company. We also run very lean and have eliminated unnecessary manpower and expense

48houses on our moo-bahn the security is a joke,cripples,drunks,pensioners,they sleep standing up and they wouldnt notice if an elephant walked in we just as well have a plastic dummy.saying that you only get what you pay for,as our house stands on 2plots we pay almost double to everyone else.security is a must so i dont mind paying as long as the job is done right,vehicles stopped going in reg.no's taken and what is their business and all visitors logged but getting thai's to pay for security when they have a barking dog you might as well forget it.this is what your up against couple of weeks ago the guard was sleeping one hr after starting his shift the reaction from one resident he has to have some sleep if he's on nights.as long as they [residents] have a house with filthy windows and doors,junk all over the place,and dog shit everywhere thats the way they like to live,oh and 2 nice clean cars in the drive

Access to the community is a joke almost anywhere.

For security, from what the security guards could do for you, see if the come if the alarm goes off (if they do, full marks to them, unusual).

Second thing, who is allowed into your community? Water trucks. Carpet sellers? Anything in between.

Personal home security as the one the OP mentions, obviously helps.

After having a house broken into and everything of value removed, I will never again stay in a house outside of a gated community in Thailand. The house had a high wall around it with spiked bars on top of it, bars on every window (upstairs and downstairs), had alarms on every door and window, and I even kept a dog inside. None of that discouraged someone from climbing onto the roof and dropping down through the ceiling (and then back out the same way). Of course the police were no help at all despite a mountain of evidence; fingerprints everywhere and even some of the burglars clothes which he exchanged for some of mine. I know the security at the entrance of the moo baan may not be perfect but it does provide some level of deterrence.

The house I now live in is in a gated community with roving patrols and security at the gate. Ay visitors trade their ID card for a slip which must be stamped from the residence visited before being allowed to exit. Of course, one must still take responsibility for your own security which is why I now have security cameras both on the exterior and interior of the house which is backed up locally and on a secure cloud through the Internet and can be accessed from my smartphone to check on my house anytime when I'm away. Based on my experience this is better than any alarm system and/or bars on the windows. A good strong security rated safe is also recommended for keeping laptops, gold, and any other items of value, monetary or sentimental.

After having a house broken into and everything of value removed, I will never again stay in a house outside of a gated community in Thailand. The house had a high wall around it with spiked bars on top of it, bars on every window (upstairs and downstairs), had alarms on every door and window, and I even kept a dog inside. None of that discouraged someone from climbing onto the roof and dropping down through the ceiling (and then back out the same way). Of course the police were no help at all despite a mountain of evidence; fingerprints everywhere and even some of the burglars clothes which he exchanged for some of mine. I know the security at the entrance of the moo baan may not be perfect but it does provide some level of deterrence. The house I now live in is in a gated community with roving patrols and security at the gate. Ay visitors trade their ID card for a slip which must be stamped from the residence visited before being allowed to exit. Of course, one must still take responsibility for your own security which is why I now have security cameras both on the exterior and interior of the house which is backed up locally and on a secure cloud through the Internet and can be accessed from my smartphone to check on my house anytime when I'm away. Based on my experience this is better than any alarm system and/or bars on the windows. A good strong security rated safe is also recommended for keeping laptops, gold, and any other items of value, monetary or sentimental.

Pretty much the same for my Bangkok gated community with the exception of the resident having to stamp the pass. But in many cases when someone enters our gated community they must provide the address & phone number of the residence they are going to and the gate guard will call that number to confirm the resident approves/is expecting them. The vehicles/license plates are also video taped at the gate. Of course the number given could be the crook's friend they are really calling but the gate guards also sometimes follow visitor's vehicles to the residence manpower permitting...and the guards pay extra attention to taxis to include following them to the residence they are suppose to be going to to pick someone up. All vistors must open their car trunk for inspection when entering and leaving although I'm not sure this really adds anything to security. Having a safe is also a very good thing as mentioned...preferably one that is too heavy for one person to carry or even two people...I keep mine upstairs which would make it a little tougher to get out of the house. But having gate security with roving guards is definitely a good deterrence...and hopefully it's a bonded security company which adds a little to the company's credibility.

Now, do we still have thefts in our moobaan...sure we hear about them everyone once in a while....and sometimes we later hear from our neighbors it was determined the theft was my a housegirl or a family member....hard for security to help in those situations.

Across the road from me is a gated village with 24 hour security. They are burgled frequently. Nearly always when the owners are abroad on holiday. What a surprise. Where I live there are no security guards other than peoples own dogs. In the past eleven years only one house had a theft of a ladder from the garden. Says a lot for security guards who tip off their mates about empty houses.

smile.png

• Like 2

Ordinary security guards are as much a liability as a safety for a village. This based on experience in Bangkok and Pattaya. I guess 'Good intentions' or serviability make them more often a liability than 'bad intentions' or personal economic interests. So in this context I definitely prefer technology based solutions (electronic gates, camera etc).

Whatever the solution, I wonder what are the legal basis to impose barriers (or any kind of access condition) to a set of indivial houses and plots of land? Basically, access must be granted unconditionally? It must be a public road, to be controlled by police alone? As rubbish collection, water and electricity are collected be the respective service provider, as is the common fee (gardener, guards). If it is a legal entity that owns the village roads, how would your co-ownership be documented? In the land title? In a separate contract? What if a later buyer does't agree?

For condos there is a law addressing these issues - but what for house villages?