Rats

nwh

We have had rats in the ceiling and in the car engine, drove our dog nuts. The glue traps were useless , we ended up using rat poison placed very carefully ( so as the dog could not get at it) and rat problem solved. Rats can carry a disease called Leptospirosis, it is spread through their urine, and can be contracted by humans just through walking around barefoot. Dogs can be infected by Leptospirosis too and can be vaccinated. Homepro etc have the rat poison (pink pellets) no need to mix it with food, the rats are attracted to it.

• Like 1

7-11, Family mart.

I find the problem with the poison, other than it can poison animals you don't want to kill, is that inevitably you will have dead rats behind the walls or above the ceiling which will smell horrible for 2-3 weeks as they decompose. The sticky traps have worked for us, but some may be bothered by the results of a large rat ripping it's insides out after it's belly gets stuck to the trap. There are live rat traps at those little family run, cheap, tin roofed, household item shops you see in every corner of Thailand.

Edited by NomadJoe

I tried the glue traps, didn't really like them. Then a found the old fashion spring trap that's all steel. A bit of peanut butter and whack. Dump the dead one, wash it off and it's good to go again. I think I bought it at P&S Market in Rawai.

We have had rats in the ceiling and in the car engine, drove our dog nuts. The glue traps were useless , we ended up using rat poison placed very carefully ( so as the dog could not get at it) and rat problem solved. Rats can carry a disease called Leptospirosis, it is spread through their urine, and can be contracted by humans just through walking around barefoot. Dogs can be infected by Leptospirosis too and can be vaccinated. Homepro etc have the rat poison (pink pellets) no need to mix it with food, the rats are attracted to it.

Good Point. Scary to know you can be contracted by walking on barefoot..

• Like 1

One suggestion is is to place water in a place it is accessible to the rats if your using the pink poison as they tend to die near it as they are thirsty as they die if internal bleeding and get very thirst so no smell if you check often and remove the vermin and dispose of them quickly. Also check in your refrigerator water tray is a common place for them to die. I find the reusable metal traps are best to keep the transient rats at bay but some times there are seasonal out breaks. They get out the poison. The problem with the glue trap is you get small lizards and they do smell bad too and keep away the rats.

Good Point. Scary to know you can be contracted by walking on barefoot..

yep Weils disease or syndrome....used to be very common in the sugar industry with cane cut by hand...quite nasty

The trouble with glue traps is they will catch other things as will poison kill creatures other than your target rat/s.

Use a 60 Baht cage trap baited with some toasted sticky rice or a little peanut butter.

If the cage is triggered by a rat etc simply place the whole cage in a bucket of water for a minute to drown the rat then empty and reuse.

If you catch a Skink or similar you can easily set it free.

Better than other choices.

I used these and then placed the trap in the pool.

They chewed everything. True visions satellite cable got replaced twice as well and chewing under doors to get to the cat food.

Mine are rusted out from all the dunking so I will need to get some more.

Sometimes buildings can be designed to get rid of rats automatically! This used to be done in the mills and factories in the north of England. Pipes were let into the walls at floor level. The pipe would go through the wall and then curve down until it was vertical. Outside underneath the pipe there was a half full barrel of water. When people walked around the building the mice would run into the pipes and get drowned. If the pipes are the correct size they will also take rats.

The old English rat traps are extremely effective but they are now illegal in the UK as they are classed as "leg hold traps". Its still OK to use the break-back type and these will take-out fair sized rats. As to the cage traps I have never had any success whatsoever.

Good luck!

One suggestion is is to place water in a place it is accessible to the rats if your using the pink poison as they tend to die near it as they are thirsty as they die if internal bleeding and get very thirst so no smell if you check often and remove the vermin and dispose of them quickly. Also check in your refrigerator water tray is a common place for them to die. I find the reusable metal traps are best to keep the transient rats at bay but some times there are seasonal out breaks. They get out the poison. The problem with the glue trap is you get small lizards and they do smell bad too and keep away the rats.

The poison we have in Australia is Ratsak, and it creates a huge thirst. I live in the country, so rats are a problem. I put a bucket of water right beside the pellets, half full, with a piece of wood for them to walk up, and they're so thirsty they leap into the water and ultimately drown. It may not meet with the approval of the RSPCA, but it's effective.

It guess it's not so much of a problem in a country that is perpetually warm, but in colder areas, rats (and mice) will climb into the engine compartment of a car for warmth, and chew the wiring looms to complete destruction. Better to control the little *******.

I live in a countryside area, and my compound is bordering empty overgrown pieces of land on 2 sides, so I get rats frequently. My experience with spring traps is excellent, as bait Nutella is the best. I always release the rats somewhere a few km down the road. The spring traps you can buy in any pop and mum store.

• Like 1