Where To Get Dollars

dazk

doing a boarder run next week would like to change some baht to dollars

last time i tried this none of the booths would change small amounts

does any one know of a place in jomtien that will change small amounts, i believe i need 30 dollars for the boarder

thanks in advance

Are you referring to the Cambodian visa fee? If so, why not do an evisa??? If that's possible for that border checkpoint???

just looked at the online visa and its 53 dollars where as the visa on arrival is 20 or 30 dollars

Are you referring to the Cambodian visa fee? If so, why not do an evisa??? If that's possible for that border checkpoint???

just looked at the online visa and its 53 dollars where as the visa on arrival is 20 or 30 dollars

Really?? I think you're looking at the wrong website. Isn't this the correct one? $28.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

I may be wrong but I have been led to believe that the Cambodian border staff will not accept dollars. The visa is more expensive if you pay in baht. They insist on baht but record the payment as being made in dollars and pocket the difference.

It is going back a while but around five years ago I went to Koh Kong with dollars and tried to pay the visa fee of 20 dollars rather than 1000 baht. We argued for around five minutes but they refused to accept dollars and insisted on baht.

I paid in baht but surprise surprise the fee stamped into my passport said 20 dollars paid.

Maybe times have changed since then but that is what I experienced.

I go to Cambodia regularly via Koh Kong, and unless it has changed in the last few weeks, the border regardless of what the web site etc says will only accept 1200 Baht, and there response to those who have dollars is ("stay in Thailand or give 1200 Baht")

As already said the easy way all round is a 28US$ e-visa which also is quicker at the border as well.

Best

Paul

I have almost always had long term Cambo visas so don't know land crossing drill, except from my visa perspective.

But I am always armed with small amounts of local currencies. You just never know when you need to buy something or buy your way out of trouble.

So I'd buy $100 US in small bills at Thai bank exchange booth, but you can't buy Cambo riel. You wouldn't want to.

If you're stuck in Cambo, ATMs spit out $US.

I may be wrong but I have been led to believe that the Cambodian border staff will not accept dollars. The visa is more expensive if you pay in baht. They insist on baht but record the payment as being made in dollars and pocket the difference.

It is going back a while but around five years ago I went to Koh Kong with dollars and tried to pay the visa fee of 20 dollars rather than 1000 baht. We argued for around five minutes but they refused to accept dollars and insisted on baht.

I paid in baht but surprise surprise the fee stamped into my passport said 20 dollars paid.

Maybe times have changed since then but that is what I experienced.

The Cambodian visa officials readily admit to running their operation as a 'business'.

I have negotiated fees of $25 at Chong sa Ngam and $22 at Chong Chom. The standard going rate appears to be 1,200 Baht.

Although you will be despised by the border touts for having one, an e-visa (even at the increased rate of $28) is worth having. In theory it makes life easier at the border but I have never found that in practice at Koh Kong - where the e-visa window never seem sto be open.

The only drawback with the e-visa is that they can only be used to enter at the airports plus Koh Kong and Poipet.

The Cambodian visa officials readily admit to running their operation as a 'business'.

I have negotiated fees of $25 at Chong sa Ngam and $22 at Chong Chom. The standard going rate appears to be 1,200 Baht.

Although you will be despised by the border touts for having one, an e-visa (even at the increased rate of $28) is worth having. In theory it makes life easier at the border but I have never found that in practice at Koh Kong - where the e-visa window never seem sto be open.

The only drawback with the e-visa is that they can only be used to enter at the airports plus Koh Kong and Poipet.

Not correct, the Cambodian E-visa page shows exactly which border crossing your E-visa is good for, you just have to indicate which border crossing that you are going to use at the time of application. Also make sure you use the official Cambodian Immigration web site to get it and not the first one listed by a Google search ($53 versus $28)

see: http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

post-10942-0-98237100-1367716629_thumb.p

Went through Koh Kong with an e visa 28 dollars 3 weeks ago ---- no problem. Be aware -- now you need to print off 2 copies -- 1 for entry and 1 for exit.

do you still get a one page sticker in your passport with the e visa

Went through Koh Kong with an e visa 28 dollars 3 weeks ago ---- no problem. Be aware -- now you need to print off 2 copies -- 1 for entry and 1 for exit.

NO , the E-visa is printed by you and is not affixed to the passport page. You will just get an Thai exit stamp and an Cambodian entry stamp

NO , the E-visa is printed by you and is not affixed to the passport page. You will just get an Thai exit stamp and an Cambodian entry stamp

thats good to know would save a few pages in the passport

did the run yesterday went to ban pakard got there at 12.30 was the only one there, the thia immigration officers where very polite and friendly

paid 1000 baht for my cambodian visa and 300 baht fine for not staying in the country not sure if this fine is legit or not

thats good to know would save a few pages in the passport

did the run yesterday went to ban pakard got there at 12.30 was the only one there, the thia immigration officers where very polite and friendly

paid 1000 baht for my cambodian visa and 300 baht fine for not staying in the country not sure if this fine is legit or not

It's not but it is their fiddle. They refuse to stamp the exit stamp until the money is handed over.

I eventually figured a way around it in Poipet at least.

I would hand them my passport act a bit pissed off when handing the money but after my passport was handed back to me I would write down the guys name and number from the badges on his uniform saying that I would email Phnom Penh re the incident.

He would then without fail hand back the money in return for the piece of paper I wrote his name and number on.

It's worked every time on the four or five occasions I have tried it.