Yingluck Sues Thai Rath Cartoonist For Defamation

webfact

To be fair I would expect in any country with a female premier, characterizing or alluding them to be a whore would land any cartoonist etc in a bit of hot water.

I suggest you read up on some of the things written about Margaret Thatcher when she was PM.

I suggest you find something a bit more recent than the thick end of 25 years ago. The world defamation, slander and libel laws have developed somewhat, not always for the better but it is what it is.

• Like 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I would expect in any country with a female premier, characterizing or alluding them to be a whore would land any cartoonist etc in a bit of hot water.

You are probably correct but the cartoonist did not characterize the PM as being a whore.

Let's not be disingenuous, of course he did. Playing holier-than-thou is as bad as her getting all upset about it and suing

Edited by Sing_Sling

I suggest you read up on some of the things written about Margaret Thatcher when she was PM.

I suggest you find something a bit more recent than the thick end of 25 years ago. The world defamation, slander and libel laws have developed somewhat, not always for the better but it is what it is.

Since you're obviously an international law expert I'll take your word for it. Although they must have also moved on since 2010, when Angela Merkel was publically called the "German atom whore" during an anti nuclear protest. Or since 2011 when Julia Gillard has been called a "whore" and a "slut" on different occasions. In each of these, the comments were asked to be removed, but no defamation case was started.

• Like 1

Since you're obviously an international law expert I'll take your word for it. Although they must have also moved on since 2010, when Angela Merkel was publically called the "German atom whore" during an anti nuclear protest. Or since 2011 when Julia Gillard has been called a "whore" and a "slut" on different occasions. In each of these, the comments were asked to be removed, but no defamation case was started.

I will take your word for it.

You are probably correct but the cartoonist did not characterize the PM as being a whore.

Let's not be disingenuous, of course he did. Playing holier-than-thou is as bad as her getting all upset about it and suing

Logically, he is saying she is worse than a whore, not that she is one. It is a false assumption that you have to BE a whore to be worse than one.

• Like 1

Logically, he is saying she is worse than a whore, not that she is one. It is a false assumption that you have to BE a whore to be worse than one.

My Thai is as good as my Rhaeto-Romansch . . . I'm sad to say, non-existent . . . so I can't read what he said/insinuated in the original . . .

Irrespective of which, though, he is being quite insulting to her and to not admit that is disingenuous . . . and being pedantic is even worse

(no offense to you, promise thumbsup.gif )

Still, her reaction is ridiculous . . .

Irrespective of which, though, he is being quite insulting to her and to not admit that is disingenuous . . . and being pedantic is even worse

(no offense to you, promise thumbsup.gif )

Still, her reaction is ridiculous . . .

I don't think anyone has denied that what he said was insulting. Of course it was. What is denied is that she was characterized as a whore.
  • Like 1

How can anyone not surmise that she was directly meant by the offending 'piece' . . . that would be hypocritical. On the other hand, how can she be so thin-skinned as to be so offended by it to the extent of suing, pushing her position towards the lese majeste laws?

Is it pleasant to be constantly lampooned, made fun of and ridiculed? Of course not, but she signed up for public scrutiny . . . Good grief, she has provided more fodder for the clowns and cartoonists of this world with her ridiculous touch of the vapours

It just proves that she is not strong enough for the position

You're quite right, she's not, and I'm no virulent anti-Thaksin clone - politics in Thailand has pretty much always been dirty, irrespective of which side/military governed . . . I just don't think Yingluck knew what she was letting herself in for and was/is woefully underprepared because she let herself be pressured/cajoled to do it

You can drop cajoled. She was strictly pressured to assume the position of PM

She declined it for months and months, relenting only 50 days before the election, after her brother Payap was shown to be an unacceptable prospect.

• Like 1

How can anyone not surmise that she was directly meant by the offending 'piece' . . . that would be hypocritical. On the other hand, how can she be so thin-skinned as to be so offended by it to the extent of suing, pushing her position towards the lese majeste laws?

Is it pleasant to be constantly lampooned, made fun of and ridiculed? Of course not, but she signed up for public scrutiny . . . Good grief, she has provided more fodder for the clowns and cartoonists of this world with her ridiculous touch of the vapours

You're quite right, she's not, and I'm no virulent anti-Thaksin clone - politics in Thailand has pretty much always been dirty, irrespective of which side/military governed . . . I just don't think Yingluck knew what she was letting herself in for and was/is woefully underprepared because she let herself be pressured/cajoled to do it

She declined it for months and months, relenting only 50 days before the election, after her brother Payap was shown to be an unacceptable prospect.

I'll take your word for that - why was her brother deemed unacceptable (aside form the fact that most male offspring (little emperors) in this region are spoiled to high heaven and can't wipe their <deleted> until the age of 24)

Edited by Sing_Sling

I'll take your word for that - why was her brother deemed unacceptable (aside form the fact that most male offspring (little emperors) in this region are spoiled to high heaven and can't wipe their <deleted> until the age of 24)

General incompetence. It's why he has never been put in charge of any of the Shinawatra business companies and has never been in politics, before the early part of 2011 when he was being touted as the PTP candidate for PM. After several months, it became evident that he was unsuitable and the switch and push for Yingluck began.

Currently, he's a monk, but even in that pursuit, he can't avoid controversy and disdain.

http://www.asianews.co/phra-payap-i-have-been-promoted/

Edited by brd199
  • Like 1

General incompetence. It's why he has never been put in charge of any of the Shinawatra business companies and has never been in politics, before the early part of 2011 when he was being touted as the PTP candidate for PM. After several months, it became evident that he was unsuitable and the switch and push for Yingluck began.

Currently, he's a monk, but even in that pursuit, he can't avoid controversy and disdain.

http://www.asianews.co/phra-payap-i-have-been-promoted/

Thank you . . . so it is a case of male offspring spoiled to the nth degree, making them social spastics

• Like 1

This unusual behaviour by Yingluck is born from fear. That fear has caused her to lie and confabulate on an international stage and is trying to extort influence over the press by fear of litigation. Yingluck though she was a clone, free to think independently, she grew to love the popularity and adulation of the masses. Yingluck loves the world stage, to be accepted amongst the hiso. But now Yingluck has found out she isn't a clone, not even a puppet, she is a Chattel slave. Yingluck has no free will, nor independent thought, she may only obey the wishes of her master. Thaksin has pulled the chain and whipped her back into line, from now on its all him him him.

Or....

post-46292-0-37866000-1367788939_thumb.j

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

This unusual behaviour by Yingluck is born from fear. That fear has caused her to lie and confabulate on an international stage and is trying to extort influence over the press by fear of litigation. Yingluck though she was a clone, free to think independently, she grew to love the popularity and adulation of the masses. Yingluck loves the world stage, to be accepted amongst the hiso. But now Yingluck has found out she isn't a clone, not even a puppet, she is a Chattel slave. Yingluck has no free will, nor independent thought, she may only obey the wishes of her master. Thaksin has pulled the chain and whipped her back into line, from now on its all him him him.

Or....

attachicon.gifyingluch sister.jpg

Is this the Thai Rath cartoon that has the reds spitting their dummies? Not confusing the Chai statement, heard they were protesting outside the paper.

"Chai Rachawat's defamatory comment calling the country's leader a whore is totally unacceptable," MP Jarupan Kuldiloke said in a statement on behalf of the party's women lawmakers.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-04

Despite an extensive educational background and her former employment as a university professor and dean

Education:

The University of Birmingham

Master of Engineering, Biochemical Engineering

Technische Universität Berlin

Doctor in Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering

Experience:

Deputy Dean at the Faculty of Engineering, Mahidol University, Thailand

2002 – 2009

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jarupan-kuldiloke/3a/122/9a7

post-100883-0-31691300-1367818895_thumb.

Pheu Thai MP and red shirt advocate "Dr." Jarupan needs to improve her basic comprehension skills as that is not what was said.

Edited by brd199

"Chai Rachawat's defamatory comment calling the country's leader a whore is totally unacceptable," MP Jarupan Kuldiloke said in a statement on behalf of the party's women lawmakers.

afplogo.jpg

Despite an extensive educational background and her former employment as a university professor and dean

>Education:

Experience:

2002 – 2009

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jarupan-kuldiloke/3a/122/9a7

attachicon.gif522773_3459961770831_920962394_n.jpg

Pheu Thai MP and red shirt advocate "Dr." Jarupan needs to improve her basic comprehension skills as that is not what was said.

Maybe not, but what she says was said, fits the narrative they want much better.

They always twist things from the truth, to fit their pattern of controlling all aspects of society.

• Like 1

afplogo.jpg

>Education:

Experience:

2002 – 2009

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jarupan-kuldiloke/3a/122/9

a7
attachicon.gif522773_3459961770831_920962394_n.jpg

Maybe not, but what she says was said, fits the narrative they want much better.

They always twist things from the truth, to fit their pattern of controlling all aspects of society.

Agree that the probability of her just being a bald-faced liar is far greater than for her just being unintelligent.

Or....

attachicon.gifyingluch sister.jpg

Is this the Thai Rath cartoon that has the reds spitting their dummies? Not confusing the Chai statement, heard they were protesting outside the paper.

No, that's just making fun of Yaopawa's size and dominance. I agree with Rivalex, Chai, the cartoonist did not say Yingluk was a prostitute, he said she was far worse, selling the country. He did use a strong word for prostitute- karee which can mean slut as well as prostitute, but his point was in his view the PM was doing a great disservice to the country. I think in this case, only prostitutes have the right to complain about the use of the word karee, so I'm not sure why the Pheua Thai lady MPs are complaining.....

• Like 2

this is # 142...

why don't all you critcs out there just wait for the courts to decide....oh i see probably you are going to condemn the courts too...whistling.gif

That advice would be better suited for the intimidating red shirts amassing at the Thai Rath newspaper offices in Bangkok and now Chiang Mai.

Hopefully, they'll wait instead of adding their usual intimidation moving to the court houses.

Edited by brd199

Agree that the probability of her just being a bald-faced liar is far greater than for her just being unintelligent.

The two are not mutually exclusive, but only one has been proven in court.

this is # 142...

why don't all you critcs out there just wait for the courts to decide....oh i see probably you are going to condemn the courts too...whistling.gif

No we just doubt we will still be alive by the time the courts get to a decision.

"Please understand that prostitutes are not bad women. Prostitutes only
sell their bodies, but a bad woman has been wandering around trying to
sell the country."

Reminds me of that old saying

If a suit fits wear it.

Perfect fit and the tailor dosen't even live in Thailand.wai2.gif

We call our PM a Ranga.. red headed b.....

I dont see her running around with lawyers sueing the nations people.. get over it,wai2.gif

geez you seem to like her more than most.