Thailand To Be Drug Free .... Again?

sriracha john

First time:

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

Published on Apr 13, 2003

On the day he declared the country a "drug-free area", the prime minister yesterday said the government had targeted the seizure of Bt10 billion in illegal narcotics earnings this year.

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

And now:

Thailand plans to be free from drug production

Published on March 20, 2006

BANGKOK (TNA) - Thailand recently renewed its nationwide suppression of narcotics, it is expected to become a nation free from drug production within the next three years, the head of the government task force said on Monday.

Wan Mohamad Nor Matha, director of the National Centre for Drug Suppression, (and former TRT Party MP, former Interior Minister, former Deputy Prime Minister) urged related government agencies to strictly follow the centre's directives to rid Thai society of drugs.

He spoke at a meeting of officials to follow up progress in suppressing drugs in 25 central Thai provinces and the capital city of Bangkok after the government has renewed the fight early this month, which would last until August.

Wan Mohamad Nor Matha said entertainment venues would be under close watch as they are where drugs were found. He said in the year 2008, there would be no drug production inside the country.

He said special projects would be launched to suppress cross-border drug trafficking among alien workers from neighbouring countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar, who are employed in Samut Prakan, Samut Songkram and Sa Kaew provinces. (TNA)

Edited by sriracha john

"entertainment venues would be under close watch"

Right, that is the best imaginable measure to make sure no drugs will be produced in Thailand.

The antics of Toxin & friends are worthy material for a slapstick comedy series. :o

Like many others l well remember the last campaign. Over 2 thousand shot dead, summary executions. We had a strong police presence here in the soi in front of our shop for weeks on end, all this in a quiet seaside town. For what ? They can try and l hope they succeed in shutting down some of the drug trade, but stamping it out ? Still got a long, long way to go before that even begins to stop sounding like a national joke.

Like many others l well remember the last campaign. Over 2 thousand shot dead, summary executions. We had a strong police presence here in the soi in front of our shop for weeks on end, all this in a quiet seaside town. For what ? They can try and l hope they succeed in shutting down some of the drug trade, but stamping it out ? Still got a long, long way to go before that even begins to stop sounding like a national joke.

hi'

I had a friend coming back from los a couple of weeks ago, he had some good buzz with some good "illegal" smoke :D

drug free! my **** :D

I don't need to agree or disagree, it's a simple fact :D

and the idea that toxin's mafia is behind all this is not so foolish :o

francois

Before too many guests of Thailand start with their smug comments about the failures of a Drug free Thailand policy, just have a look at the state of many Western countries and their failures to stem the flow of drugs into their countries.

I can never understand why Farangs sit up on high typing smug remarks, when their own countries are awash with drugs. And all the while Farangs are allowed to enter Bangkok Airport with hardly any checks on baggage, drugs will always get into Thailand, even if no Thai person ever again bought Drugs into Thailand, people will still be buying ecstacy in Bangkok and Pattaya from the Farang dealers that sell the product that Farangs bought into Thailand. It's about time Thai customs was as difficult as Japan customs, then again, I guess you lot would all be moaning about the ammount of time you have to queue up to have your bags searched on arriving in Thailand.

Drug free Thailand, Drug free Australia, Drug free USA, Drug free UK, not a chance, but then again, it's a political remark made by a politician, of course we don't believe it any more than we believe Bush or Blair when they make their political comments.

I wish UK would start shooting the Street dealers too.

Rant over. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Before too many guests of Thailand start with their smug comments about the failures of a Drug free Thailand policy, just have a look at the state of many Western countries and their failures to stem the flow of drugs into their countries.

I can never understand why Farangs sit up on high typing smug remarks, when their own countries are awash with drugs. And all the while Farangs are allowed to enter Bangkok Airport with hardly any checks on baggage, drugs will always get into Thailand, even if no Thai person ever again bought Drugs into Thailand, people will still be buying ecstacy in Bangkok and Pattaya from the Farang dealers that sell the product that Farangs bought into Thailand. It's about time Thai customs was as difficult as Japan customs, then again, I guess you lot would all be moaning about the ammount of time you have to queue up to have your bags searched on arriving in Thailand.

Drug free Thailand, Drug free Australia, Drug free USA, Drug free UK, not a chance, but then again, it's a political remark made by a politician, of course we don't believe it any more than we believe Bush or Blair when they make their political comments.

I wish UK would start shooting the Street dealers too.

Rant over. :o

Nice rant.. :D

but totally off the mark....

I don't think anyone is mocking Thailand except to point out the Circus of Absurdity about declaring the country drug-free. Westerners are well aware of the existence of a drug problem in their respective countries, but then their national leaders don't come out with the comical declarations that they are "drug-free." They recognize the problem, not deny it with a catch-phrase, like Thaksin does, with the same abandonment of reality that a schizophrenic has.

The second round of comments come from Westerners who are appalled at the way the previous "War on Drugs" was conducted with non-judicial slaughtering and the trampling of due process expectations that civilized countries use around the world.

If you think most of Thailand's drugs are coming into Thailand in the baggage of foreigners at the airport, you are seriously in need of a dose of reality yourself.

As for your desire to see anyone shot on the streets... I hope you're not around any shrines at the moment..... losing the Erawan Shrine today was enough.

There is help for you... but you have to go see the doctor first. I hope you do and wish you the best of luck... :D

Edited by sriracha john

You are simple-minded, or you live in a dreamworld.

Have you ever heard of a western country that claim to be "drugs free" ?

On the contrary, many of them have some programs to help drug addicts (i say "help", not "kill" that's the main difference with Thailand...).

As for your idea that the drugs are entering Thailand inside farang's suitcases at the airport, again it's the perfect proof that... well... you live far, far away, in another galaxy.

Good for you. But bad for a reasonable and smart debate.

If you think most of Thailand's drugs are coming into Thailand in the baggage of foreigners at the airport, you are seriously in need of a dose of reality yourself.

Thanks for the compliment on the nice rant, it's appreciated. :D

Now where did I say Farangs are bringing most of the drugs into Thailand ?

ummm, Nope, can't see where I did.

John, when people buy Cocaine and Ecstacy in Thailand, they are not home produced drugs or do they come in from Burma, Cambodia etc. There are criminal groups of Farangs that move the gear in, and distribute amongst the Farang population in Thailand some of this ends up the noses or down the throats of Thais also.

Farangs take lots of drugs, being in Thailand will not and does not stop them. :o

Edited by Maigo6

As for your idea that the drugs are entering Thailand inside farang's suitcases at the airport, again it's the perfect proof that... well... you live far, far away, in another galaxy.

If you think that NO drugs come into Thailand by means of Farang criminals, you obviously have no knowledge of the scene.

I have been offered Ecstacy from Holland, Nepalese hash, Morrocan hash, skunk from Holland, now correct me if I'm wrong, but they ain't in Thailand, not in my Atlas anyway.

Smarten up sonny, you ain't got a clue. :o

Thanks for the compliment on the nice rant, it's appreciated. :D

Now where did I say Farangs are bringing most of the drugs into Thailand ?

ummm, Nope, can't see where I did.

John, when people buy Cocaine and Ecstacy in Thailand, they are not home produced drugs or do they come in from Burma, Cambodia etc. There are criminal groups of Farangs that move the gear in, and distribute amongst the Farang population in Thailand some of this ends up the noses or down the throats of Thais also.

Farangs take lots of drugs, being in Thailand will not and does not stop them. :o

From many reports, most cocaine is coming in from Africa, which would nullify your "farang" comments.

The amount of ectasy compared to other drugs is neglible in Thailand. The big cheese making these insane declarations never really addresses or seems to be overly concerned about them... it's because in the grand scheme of things, their amounts are trivial... it's all about ya-ba and heroin.

How many Thais use those drugs compared to the numbers of Thais, added with the farang users, that use cocaine and ectasy? Likely a 1,000 to 1 ratio?

At least it's encouraging however, that you have grounded yourself a little bit better than your previous post.

Best wishes for the continued improvement of your condition. :D