Anyone Here Not In Thailand?, But Still Posts Regularly? Who?

Define 'living' ....

>>I will not rise to your bait. But, thank you for trying.

No baiting ... but trying to identify a baseline for your OP, otherwise it's just supposition and speculation.

None of these are my situations but, would you consider someone to be classed as 'living in Thailand' who ...

Spends 2 months a year here (long term tourist)?

Spends 6 months a year here (half and half to comply with tax issues in his country of birth, and interestingly, a government definition of 'Living here')?

Spends 9 months a year here (living the majority of time here but can't handle the extreme heat from March - June)?

Spends 11 months a year here?

Was born in Thailand but spends 6 months a year out of country?

Spends 11 months a year here, works off-shore and holidays 1 month a year in the country of his birth?

Otherwise, without an OP definition ... it's a mindset to be 'living' in Thailand.

living here?

are you not currently in Australia?.

Edited by candypants

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"trying to identify a baseline for your OP"

If you are going to press me on this issue, then I would say "living" is more than just existing.

But in this case, please feel free to use your own definition of 'living', and then please comment accordingly.

Thank you.

If you are going to press me on this issue, then I would say "living" is more than just existing.

But in this case, please feel free to use your own definition of 'living', and then please comment accordingly.

Thank you.

Well, had I been the OP ... I would have.

But since I am not ... your definition of 'living here' awaits us all.

Don't know why it's a problem, to start the post, you must have an opinion!

EDIT ...

So ... are referring to 'living a good lifestyle' ... so it's a relative issue?

Or a more technical definition based on time spent here?

Edited by David48

Split time between east and west. But given the wife's rather large circle of friends in the west are all Thai, she watches streaming Thai tv, cooks Thai food, is constantly on the phone in Thai, and largely thinks as a Thai, I'd say we never really leave LOS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well you might be a pretender if you were not living in Thailand but intentionally posted in such a way as to mislead readers into assuming that you were living in Thailand.

You would then be pretending.

True but why would anyone be so perversely motivated?

For me--I can't say truthfully that I would like to live in Old Siam, as I enjoy, and look forward to my 1 month holiday trips 2 or 3 times every year. biggrin.png

Bucko---New Zealand wai2.gif

@ OldChinaHam

Quote......But are there any pretenders out there?

I very much doubt that any of the posters (the pretenders) that you are searching for will admit to lying or misleading other people as to where they actually live.

Maybe they lie to protect themselves from others when making posts or threads,maybe trying to save themselves from the 'what do you know....you don't live here'.

I am sure that many posters are in a similar situation as myself and can only stay a certain length of time each year.Every time I leave Thailand and the ones I love, it breaks my heart and I always have a tear in my eye.To me Thailand is home and I only think 'I'm off to work' each time I leave as I am sure many others do.

Consider yourself very lucky that you are in a position where you can choose to come and go when you please and to stay as long as like.Many of us can't but would gladly swap with you in a heartbeat.

Kind regards

Shaggy

(Born in England,Works in Holland, Heart and Soul in Thailand) wai.gif

• Like 2

Who's arsed ? One thing generally exists,being that between 0%-100% of members share something in common.

I tend to go on where one actually lives is by where ones post/mail addressed to you gets sent.

That's your home ,but that doesn't mean you can't live anywhere else.

...I assumed by joining forums such as TV, ... I might increase my understanding. ...

I do hope that has not gone too badly wrong. It would be as well to remember that good news does not sell, and very few people take to heart the saying "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing."

SC

There are definitely times when I log in to the site and wonder, "Why is everyone so angry?" coffee1.gif But there is a lot to be gleaned here for the outsider and I assume the expat, too. In particular, the different communities are amazing. In the Farming section there is a thread on rubber trees and another of photos of farming that are incredibly interesting. Also, the Photography and Travel sections are great. The News and General Topics sub-forums tend to consist of personal opinions of events and cultures and which can have a tendency to spiral into arguements. But many more sub-forums are about applying your own knowledge and experience to a situation that is foriegn to many of us resulting in very interesting conversations.

Well you might be a pretender if you were not living in Thailand but intentionally posted in such a way as to mislead readers into assuming that you were living in Thailand.

You would then be pretending.

So where do you live? Do you expect everyone to believe you ain't a 'pretender' ? You...Posted Today, 17:49

Mong Kok, or Somewhere."

What are you after.postcodes?

Define 'living' ....

>>I will not rise to your bait. But, thank you for trying.

No baiting ... but trying to identify a baseline for your OP, otherwise it's just supposition and speculation.

None of these are my situations but, would you consider someone to be classed as 'living in Thailand' who ...

Spends 2 months a year here (long term tourist)?

Spends 6 months a year here (half and half to comply with tax issues in his country of birth, and interestingly, a government definition of 'Living here')?

Spends 9 months a year here (living the majority of time here but can't handle the extreme heat from March - June)?

Spends 11 months a year here?

Was born in Thailand but spends 6 months a year out of country?

Spends 11 months a year here, works off-shore and holidays 1 month a year in the country of his birth?

Otherwise, without an OP definition ... it's a mindset to be 'living' in Thailand.

living here?

are you not currently in Australia?.

If he was there for a month, living at his girls house not in a hotel, that would qualify for living I'd say. So being in Thailand not staying in a hotel, qualifies as living?

A member's profile includes information about his location. I may not be a compulsory field when registering on ThaiVisa and we can of course not know whether this information is accurate and up-to-date. Mine is, showing the country in which I live at the moment, and I try to remember to update the location and time zone in my profile when I change my location, eg when I stay in Thailand or any other country for a few weeks or months.

Thank you.

Why do you think someone would lie about their whereabouts here on TV. Can you run that by me again please?

"True but why would anyone be so perversely motivated?"

I do not choose 'perversely' to describe it.

It is intriguing why some are so motivated.

We all tell a story, and come here to hear one.

The better the story, the better the writer,

The more I, personally, prefer it.

Those writing from outside Thailand, whether on holiday or extended leave or those who have never been to Thailand, I find it interesting to read their comments about Thailand.

And those who have just left Thailand seem to have the most interesting stories to tell, in retrospect.

Edited by OldChinaHam

To me it doesn't really matter at all from where one posts. I don't see the issue.

If someone has never been to Thailand at all but posts here. Why not?

If you are looking for pretenders and their motivations - they will always be there and they can contribute good things. If a pretender gives me sound advice, i am happy.

• Like 1

My wife is from Saraburi but now we are in Wyoming USA. We spend three months at a time in Saraburi when we feel like it. I'm retired and she works. She saves all her money for Thailand when we go. We go to Thailand when we feel like it. What is strange to me is that she likes it here. Winter and summer. Winters are severe and all the roads are closed often. Still she likes it. Hmmmm I think it is that there is less family stress when she is here. Summers are paradise. Not much over 80F dry and gentle breese most of the time. We have a mineral hot springs, river, lake and mountains. It is nice in the summer.

I keep informed on Thailand and learn more about the culture as I sign on this forum. I think it is important to learn all I can for the sake of my wife and her family. For some reason I have a difficult time learning Thai. I can speak some Japanese and Chinese but Thai is just not that easy for me.

I also learn about issues that face expats. Sometimes our own governments make things difficult and then dealing with the Thai government just compounds that.

• Like 1

Krisb,

No, I am not saying you "shouldn't post if you are not in Thailand".

What I am saying is that if you are not in Thailand, you shouldn't not post.

And I don't hope you will not, but prefer that you do.

• Like 1

Crisinth,

I agree with you that it does not matter where the poster is from. But it is interesting.

Why people do this, build a false persona?

I do not know.

Here might be two fun examples:

The Fake Steve Jobs blog:

http://www.realdanlyons.com/

(You can see him here giving us the "Wai")

The Stanley Bing blog

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/category/stanley-bing/

(He pretended to be a real life High Level Exec at a Fortune 500!)

Funny as Hell!!!

Please, folks, do not blame me that there are people around here on this internet, and on TV perhaps, who just enjoy being PRETENDERS.

Why they do it? I can't say for sure.

Do I like it? Yes I do. I find it interesting.

Am I a pretender?

I don't think anyone really cares.

But I find the posts on this forum interesting, especially the ones from those not in Thailand, sometimes.

Crisinth,

I agree with you that it does not matter where the poster is from. But it is interesting.

Why people do this, build a false persona?

I do not know.

Here might be two fun examples:

The Fake Steve Jobs blog:

http://www.realdanlyons.com/

(You can see him here giving us the "Wai")

The Stanley Bing blog

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/category/stanley-bing/

(He pretended to be a real life High Level Exec at a Fortune 500!)

Funny as Hell!!!

Please, folks, do not blame me that there are people around here on this internet, and on TV perhaps, who just enjoy being PRETENDERS.

Why they do it? I can't say for sure.

Do I like it? Yes I do. I find it interesting.

Am I a pretender?

I don't think anyone really cares.

But I find the posts on this forum interesting, especially the ones from those not in Thailand, sometimes.

One of the many dangers of the internet, especially anonymous forums, you can be whoever you want.

But to my knowledge, we don't have personas to the level of your examples on here??????

Or do we? Are all those posters really Scottish?...............blink.png

• Like 1