New Passport-Is There A Time Limit To Get Your Visa Stamp?

My passport was set to expire at the end of this year so I got a new passport in Bangkok on March 25th. They canceled my old passport and gave me a letter to give to the immigration official asking them to stamp my new passport with the old visa (Thai family-type O 1 year). I live in Pattaya so it will be at the Jomtien immigration.

I need to do my 90 day check in on June 12th and apply for my new visa on June 26th so I planned on waiting to do it until the 12th, but now I'm concerned that they might cause a problem since my old passport is expired and my new one doesn't have a visa so they could say that I've been staying here for months without a valid visa!

The letter doesn't say anything about a time limit or expiration date so I hope it is ok to wait. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

I'm not aware of an official time frame, and I did it myself once more than 1 month later and received no comment on that. But that might also depend on the office.

Technically, your passport is invalid but you have a valid permission to stay. (I presume you mean that you have an extension of stay, as you are doing 90 day reports. An actual visa would not be transferred). So you should be OK.

Since the process is free and doesn't take that long (do make copies of your old and new passport and arrival card) I personally would not wait that long.

• Like 1

Oops, yes, it says to transfer the immigration stamp, not the visa.

My wife and all of the Thai family are out of the country for about another month so I'm hesitant to go there because if I run into problems I won't have any backup. It sounds like I'll be ok and I've waited 90 days already so hopefully another month won't matter. Thanks.

Yes, that isn't the issue.

What I meant was, if it became a serious problem and they wanted to fine me, cancel my visa, throw me in jail, etc. then I wouldn't have anyone to help me until my family gets back at the end of this month. I know that's unlikely but I think it would be better to wait.

All you do is take your old and new passports to immigration.Immigration then waste 2/3 pages of your new passports by restamping your initial entry visa and first permission tostay visa and your last visa in your new passport. Then all is OK. I have had two new passports since retiring to Thailand. Your 90 day visa runs from the day you report. Your annual visa can be renewed 30 days before it expires or 60 days if you have a valid reason.