Good Tortillas

Thanks kikoman for the recipe. I know its not hard but you gave me the idea to make my own---- still wishing for corn tortillas, and Salsa Verde-- I grew some tomatillos, Half the crop came out OK, the other half seem to cook in the husk. No luck growing Jalapenos

Where did you get the tomatillo seeds from? I have about a hundred and fifty seedlings of Jalapeno, Serrano, Pasilla bajo , sweet Banana and Cayenne chile peppers. some of them are showing great growth, others seem to not be growing at all, since I am a novice gardener I am learning as I go.

Another great recipe that I only recently started making is Caldo de Queso (cheese soup) using all locally available ingredients,

3/4 -to one cup--8 large light green Thai peppers at the local market ( cut in strips or small pieces)

2 large potato's (cut small cubes)

! tomato (Cut in small pieces)

1/2 to 1 medium onion (small pieces)

3 cloves of garlic

I chicken flavored cube

2 tablespoons olive oil

1&1/2 cups of milk

Up to ! cup of cheese (any fresh cheese, cheddar, paneer (I add cream cheese for at least half a cup)

water as needed

lightly cook in the olive oil, garlic, onions potato' add the tomato and Chicken flavored cube, add the milk and the chile, let cook till the potato's are almost done, add the cheese, cook until the cheese has completely melted.

This is a soup add water to get the consistency you like in a soup.

You are free to add the degree of spiciness you like in the chile, from no burn to extra hot, I buy the chile for flavor and add Thai birds eye peppers for the heat. adjusted to your preference, eat with tortillas or saltine crackers.

Not hard to make.

Cheers:smile.png

I brought the seeds with me. They grew well. I think next time I will shade them more. I am also still learning about growing here in Thailand. Where I am from in the States (S. Or.) You put tomatillos in one year, and they are growing everywhere the next. The cheese soup sounds good to me. The only problem is my wife and her family hate the smell of cheesesad.png but durian and fermented fish is OKwink.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunnydrops,

I know where you are coming from, the getting along as a family involves the art of compromise.

You live with the smell of fish sauce, durian and they live with the smell of the cheese and beef.

My MIL said the cheese soup smelled good and asked if she could have some, she also likes to eat flour tortillas and fresh cooked pinto beans.

Found a good article in making ahead and trouble shooting your recipe for flour tortillas, explained much better then I could

www.mangiodasola.com/2010/05/store-and-make-ahead-flour-tortillas.html.

How its helpful!

Cheers:smile.png

By the way the best Mexican food is found in the USA.

Truer words have never been spoken. The food in Mexico is usually sub par in relation to what I like. TexMex all the way for me.

That is the message I have been trying to spread is there is Mexican food and what most posters address on this forum is American Southwestern, Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, New Mexico food is the American version of foods mostly of Mexican origin prepare differently with different ingredients.

American "Chile", is a America version of Mexican Chile con Carne, a red chile with beef or pork meat, In Mexico one never mixes chile con carne with beans, that id strictly an American dish, which I have enjoyed at times, in Mexico chile is added as a flavoring and many like it hot. In New Mexican cooking with chile is used at its hottest potential, and yes I have greatly enjoyed that food also.

Great food which ever you like Mexican or American.

Cheers:wub.png

That is the message I have been trying to spread is there is Mexican food and what most posters address on this forum is American Southwestern, Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, New Mexico food is the American version of foods mostly of Mexican origin prepare differently with different ingredients.

American "Chile", is a America version of Mexican Chile con Carne, a red chile with beef or pork meat, In Mexico one never mixes chile con carne with beans, that id strictly an American dish, which I have enjoyed at times, in Mexico chile is added as a flavoring and many like it hot. In New Mexican cooking with chile is used at its hottest potential, and yes I have greatly enjoyed that food also.

Great food which ever you like Mexican or American.

Cheers:wub.png

I hate to admit it, but I often enjoy Jack In the Box's tacos when I am back in the US. Not even close to Mexican, but they taste good.

I like Cal-Mex and Tex Mex. I also am very partial to the food from Baja and from Guadalajara, but I am not so fond of food from Yucatan.

To me, good food is good food, and whether it is regional, authentic, or whatever, if it tastes good, I want to eat it.

I prefer to use a deep friar.

You can pick one up at Home Pro for about 1800 baht.

I use corn oil to deep fry my corn tortilla chips.

Flour tortillas I put over a live flame on the stove for about 4 - 5 seconds.

I use my deep friar for french fries, Chinese dumplings (pot stickers) and spring rolls too.

I use vegetable or canola oil for those.

I once used beef talo (lard) for homemade beef chimichangas. It was soooooooo delicious but if I ate like that all the time, I'd be dead before I hit 50.

Cleaning the deep friar after using lard took several days. That's why I did cook with it again.

food and religion? Perfect.

"I prefer to use a deep friar"

bonobo--I hear ya. Nothing better than Jack 'N' the Box tacos when you've got the munchies. I spent some of the best times of my misspent youth in the drive-in line at various Jacks.

And friars are best served fried...

Now... back to watching Fox News tongue.png

I prefer to use a deep friar.

You can pick one up at Home Pro for about 1800 baht.

I use corn oil to deep fry my corn tortilla chips.

Flour tortillas I put over a live flame on the stove for about 4 - 5 seconds.

I use my deep friar for french fries, Chinese dumplings (pot stickers) and spring rolls too.

I use vegetable or canola oil for those.

I once used beef talo (lard) for homemade beef chimichangas. It was soooooooo delicious but if I ate like that all the time, I'd be dead before I hit 50.

Cleaning the deep friar after using lard took several days. That's why I did cook with it again.

food and religion? Perfect.

"I prefer to use a deep friar"

Where did I make a reference to religion?huh.png

Unless it says "whole wheat" , wheat flour is the same thing as white flour.

Actually, UG, that's exactly what the Danitas package says... whole wheat.

attachicon.gifDanitas Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas 1.jpg

attachicon.gifDanitas Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas 2.jpg

As I said above, though, having tried them, I didn't really care for the whole wheat taste or the texture in flour tortillas, where they seemed more brittle and tough than their regular flour counterparts.

Yes, that is why many things do not taste as good when using whole grain flour.

• 1 month later...