Posting Under Your Real Name

KarenBravo

Name or no name is irrelevant.

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

Due to using a real name, and then over time making statements about himself, I tracked a guy down to his home and his place of employment but it had nothing to do with his IP. First he used his real name. At some point he said he was a sheriff's deputy. At some point he said he was in Arizona. At another time he mentioned the real estate market in his town.

The idiot made the mistake of threatening me physically (typical self important cop) and I got him fired by keeping records of his posts.

He had/has no idea who I really am.

But it was all social tracking, not IT tracking.

Really? That's a classic NS. Tell us more!

There's nothing more to tell. The guy found out from a friend I had on the forum what my real name and address was, and he threatened me. I felt danger and wanted to know where he was. I also wanted to teach him a lesson to not mess with me.

He had claimed to be a sheriff's deputy, and later he posted his town. A sheriff covers a whole county in a state. When I went to the county's web site to see who to contact, I learned that he was actually the website admin, and not a deputy sheriff at all. He was just a braggart. His real name was right there.

After sending the county administrator links to his threatening posts, and threatening to sue the county since he was threatening from work making the county liable, I got an email from the county telling me he was no longer employed there.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

Lol. Somebody's been watching too much CSI

I'll save you the trouble of h4ck1ng (sic) me to find out my current IP. It's 192.168.1.33. Have at it.

(Before you make a fool of yourself demonstrating your mad 1337 skillz by posting my current GPS location, I should mention that I already know those could likely be found in under a minute, because I choose not to hide)

That's your local IP assigned by your router. That not your unique-in-the-whole-world-IP assigned from the block of your ISP's IP's to your router.

It's not internet routable.

I like your little joke, though, and I know you knew what you were doing/saying. smile.png

Strangely, that's the IP of my server. But it's hidden behind a router too. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Indeed, you are correct, it's my local IP. The IP assigned by my ISP is 10.36.21.198. whistling.gif

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

Lol. Somebody's been watching too much CSI

I'll save you the trouble of h4ck1ng (sic) me to find out my current IP. It's 192.168.1.33. Have at it.

(Before you make a fool of yourself demonstrating your mad 1337 skillz by posting my current GPS location, I should mention that I already know those could likely be found in under a minute, because I choose not to hide)

That's your local IP assigned by your router. That not your unique-in-the-whole-world-IP assigned from the block of your ISP's IP's to your router.

It's not internet routable.

I like your little joke, though, and I know you knew what you were doing/saying. smile.png

Strangely, that's the IP of my server. But it's hidden behind a router too. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Indeed, you are correct, it's my local IP. The IP assigned by my ISP is 10.36.21.198. whistling.gif

That number is also not internet routable. Try again. :)

That number is also not internet routable. Try again. smile.png

There are three address ranges designated as private (unroutable) as per RFC 1918:

• 10.0.0.0 … 10.255.255.255 (10/8) - (Class A network that start with 10.)
  • 172.16.0.0 … 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12) - (Class B networks that start with 172.16.)
  • 192.168.0.0 … 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16) - (Class C networks that start with 192.168.)
  • Like 1

There are three address ranges designated as private (unroutable) as per RFC 1918:

• 10.0.0.0 … 10.255.255.255 (10/8) - (Class A network that start with 10.)
  • 172.16.0.0 … 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12) - (Class B networks that start with 172.16.)
  • 192.168.0.0 … 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16) - (Class C networks that start with 192.168.)

:)

Okay enough teasing... it's 122.155.44.125

Which will (should) lead you to CAT Telecom, but since they use NAT there will be very many people on that IP. Actually the private (10.x.x.x) one is more useful - if you had access to CAT's servers you could probably find out the tower I'm on, the antenna gives you a rough direction, and a little known feature called the 'timing advance' will give you a rough distance. We used to recover stolen cars with this method.

The point is, finding people in seconds via their IP address only works for Jack Bauer.

Would never use my real name on the internet. I purposly chose a screen name that is so common that searching for it is a waste of time.

I did try using Google, facebook, Etc.Etc searching for my real name, no results whatsoever.

I'm happy with that.

I've never been able to find myself with Google either. I'm pleased and yet it demonstrates how insignificant I am to the world at large - even more so than the millions of insignificant folks that can be found...

It's an existential crisis! If I am not on Google, do I really exist?

Try falling over in a forest and see if anybody hears you.

• Like 2

That number is also not internet routable. Try again. :)

Which will (should) lead you to CAT Telecom, but since they use NAT there will be very many people on that IP. Actually the private (10.x.x.x) one is more useful - if you had access to CAT's servers you could probably find out the tower I'm on, the antenna gives you a rough direction, and a little known feature called the 'timing advance' will give you a rough distance. We used to recover stolen cars with this method.

The point is, finding people in seconds via their IP address only works for Jack Bauer.

I believe the new DOCSIS system in use in Thailand uses a unique IP address,personally I use VPNs and proxy servers for all Internet access to prevent tracking,far too much of it going on these days!

My real name is all over google. I didn't realize that when I joined Classmates.com for my graduating class they would leak my name. They do that to draw page hits if someone is looking for me.

The White Pages (phone directory) has my name and address and phone number which is now disconnected because I'm cell phone only. I'm still there.

Our local fire department published everyone's name and address for some reason I don't understand.

I hate it.

I think this is one of the things holding Google+ back. They have so many people who have their profiles suspended because their names don't sound real.

That would include me, briefly. They reinstated it pretty quickly though. But I think it's the least of their worries. What's holding it back most, is it sucks for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. It's like driving a LHD car (or RHD depending on your country) - it works but doesn't feel right.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know of no way for NAT to parse the same IP into different physical nodes. It still needs a unique routable IP. leaving the LAN.

Having someone's email address is potentially more damaging than having their IP number. Email accounts can be relatively easily hacked using phishing or any number of other tools or you can remotely install spyware on their computer. You'll soon find out a wealth of information about them.

I know of no way for NAT to parse the same IP into different physical nodes. It still needs a unique routable IP. leaving the LAN.

Ummm... wut?

Parsing one (routable) ip to many (non-routable) ip's is the very purpose of nat... There are probably hundreds of other 10.x.x.x users behind my current external ip.

Having someone's email address is potentially more damaging than having their IP number. Email accounts can be relatively easily hacked using phishing or any number of other tools or you can remotely install spyware on their computer. You'll soon find out a wealth of information about them.

I've never had a problem with that, afaik. Opening a link in an email is risky, Still, really good anti-malware software will see it and pop up a warning.

A router is a pretty good firewall. It is a computer and appears to anyone looking that it is your computer. It is the node that actually gets the IP address which is assigned by your ISP. All other nodes on your network either have static IP's assigned by you, or dynamic IP's assigned by the router. Your choice. They can hack away at the router all they want. They can't see your internal nodes.

They have to trick you into accepting something, and even then good malware tools should spot it.

$.02

Ummm... wut?

Parsing one (routable) ip to many (non-routable) ip's is the very purpose of nat... There are probably hundreds of other 10.x.x.x users behind my current external ip.

No, there are other 10.x.x.x users (your nodes) INSIDE your local network.

Now, if you are saying that other users of the same ISP also use 10.x.x.x. INSIDE their LAN's, then I agree. But those IP's aren't routable nor can they be shared as the same IP on the internet.

Edit. Maybe we are saying the same thing using different wording.

Edited by NeverSure

Ummm... wut?

No, there are other 10.x.x.x users (your nodes) INSIDE your local network.

Now, if you are saying that other users of the same ISP also use 10.x.x.x. INSIDE their LAN's, then I agree. But those IP's aren't routable nor can they be shared as the same IP on the internet.

Edit. Maybe we are saying the same thing using different wording.

I think someone is making a fool of himself pretending he he has IT knowledge, and it isn't Neversure smile.png

I've never had a problem with that, afaik. Opening a link in an email is risky, Still, really good anti-malware software will see it and pop up a warning.

A router is a pretty good firewall. It is a computer and appears to anyone looking that it is your computer. It is the node that actually gets the IP address which is assigned by your ISP. All other nodes on your network either have static IP's assigned by you, or dynamic IP's assigned by the router. Your choice. They can hack away at the router all they want. They can't see your internal nodes.

They have to trick you into accepting something, and even then good malware tools should spot it.

$.02

You'd be surprised how many people don't maintain the spyware/malware software, or think that it's installed and working because "the chappie at the shop did it for me".

It's the same as people that don't bother to change the login/password on their routers, and even worse, they don't even set up security. I'm close to a condo and I can see 3 routers with no security on my network list right now. Two of them I can actually login to their router because they have the default admin/password.

I'd cancel my internet account and use their accounts for free if it wasn't for the fact that they all seem to come and go for short periods and turn everything off.

No one here's smart enough to track anyone down:p

How's the weather in Chumphae? Or haven't you got back yet... Still in Croydon?

I'm out the front of your place, let's go have a few beers:D
  • Like 1

Right, that's it. This is getting freaky now.

So much for an anonymous forum huh. Members hacking it and publishing locations. Not that I'm worried as such, just makes it a bit of a mockery

Mods time to close it down.

Edited by krisb

$.02

You'd be surprised how many people don't maintain the spyware/malware software, or think that it's installed and working because "the chappie at the shop did it for me".

It's the same as people that don't bother to change the login/password on their routers, and even worse, they don't even set up security. I'm close to a condo and I can see 3 routers with no security on my network list right now. Two of them I can actually login to their router because they have the default admin/password.

I'd cancel my internet account and use their accounts for free if it wasn't for the fact that they all seem to come and go for short periods and turn everything off.

Agree 100%.

Actually my malware tools drive me nuts once in a while. I have a proggy that will search my computer, harvest and back up all of my drivers. It's a good, clean program. But every malware proggy I have sees it as malware and pops up a warning. When I want to use it I have to unplug from the internet for safety, disable malware tools, re-install it and back up my drivers. Then I simply uninstall it and get back onto the net with my malware proggies enabled.

It's called Driver Genius Pro if it matters.

Unless I miss something, this is the second time in a week that you openly call on the mods to close down a thread you haven't started.

Maybe time to swap your membercard for a moderator membership smile.png

$.02

Agree 100%.

Actually my malware tools drive me nuts once in a while. I have a proggy that will search my computer, harvest and back up all of my drivers. It's a good, clean program. But every malware proggy I have sees it as malware and pops up a warning. When I want to use it I have to unplug from the internet for safety, disable malware tools, re-install it and back up my drivers. Then I simply uninstall it and get back onto the net with my malware proggies enabled.

Maybe you should install the genuine version instead of the cracked one whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Unless I miss something, this is the second time in a week that you openly call on the mods to close down a thread you haven't started.

Maybe time to swap your membercard for a moderator membership

Jelly brain lighten up, tell us more about your Ferraris instead.

Agree 100%.

Maybe you should install the genuine version instead of the cracked one whistling.gifbiggrin.png

<deleted>? I have the genuine version of Windows 7 Ultimate which was a gift from Microsoft the last time I attended on of their seminars. They usually give me that along with other things at the door when I register. Over 10 years, and many seminars, starting with XP Pro I have probably been given 15 copies of Windows and 10 copies of Office Pro, all with valid keys and all directly from Microsoft.

I am also authorized to make a copy of Windows genuine if I find one that shows not genuine, and Microsoft can't verify it, but I see the product ID sticker on the computer. As you know, change enough hardware in a computer and it will lose its validation.

As for the driver backup proggy, there are now several free ones out there. When I bought it several years ago I think I paid US$50 for it.

It's a great proggy. It gives the options of backing up individual drivers so you see each one, or doing the same but in a zip file, or best, it will make an executable file that you run and it installs all of the drivers in one motion.

My malware tools see it as something invasive using their fuzzy logic, and quarantine it every time.

What does this have to do with using your real name on the internet?

Edited by NeverSure

Agree 100%.

<deleted>? I have the genuine version of Windows 7 Ultimate which was a gift from Microsoft the last time I attended on of their seminars. They usually give me that along with other things at the door when I register. Over 10 years, and many seminars, starting with XP Pro I have probably been given 15 copies of Windows and 10 copies of Office Pro, all with valid keys and all directly from Microsoft.

I am also authorized to make a copy of Windows genuine if I find one that shows not genuine, and Microsoft can't verify it, but I see the product ID sticker on the computer. As you know, change enough hardware in a computer and it will lose its validation.

As for the driver backup proggy, there are now several free ones out there. When I bought it several years ago I think I paid US$50 for it.

It's a great proggy. It gives the options of backing up individual drivers so you see each one, or doing the same but in a zip file, or best, it will make an executable file that you run and it installs all of the drivers in one motion.

My malware tools see it as something invasive using their fuzzy logic, and quarantine it every time.

What does this have to do with using your real name on the internet?

I was talking about the driver back up program and not the genuinety of your windows.

And did you notice the biggrin.png emoticon in my post ?

So much for an anonymous forum huh. Members hacking it and publishing locations. Not that I'm worried as such, just makes it a bit of a mockery

Whoa... Slow down there Bruce... Dial down the tinfoil hat a notch... Ixnay with the 'hacking' talk... tongue.png

For the sake of clarity, I must say that there's been absolutely 100% no hacking involved, and nothing 'published' that couldn't be found by anybody in 2 minutes using google (i.e. already 'published' by the users themselves). Merely a demonstration of how anonymous people aren't.