Birds Nest In My Boot

They look like the eggs of a quail... tasty :o

The bird in the picture does have a fondness for choosing odd nesting places.

Hi Sheryl and others,

I have a big place with lots of fruit and palm trees, plus a big fish pound and lots of birds. They even don't mind the dogs that much. Last year I had two waterhens nesting in the pound. Cute to watch the little black chicks hidden under the phak boong leaves and the ehad of mother hen popping above the leaves so ow and then. And a little bird weaving its nest in the grass around the pound and another weaving its nest at the end of a palm leave above the water.

If I would like to attract these kind of birds (such as the magpie robin) to nest somewhere on my property, what's the best thing to do (and no, not put boots in every tree :D ) Any suggestions?

Nienke

I haven't had to do anything to get birds to nest in my yard, they do it on their own. Providing a lot of thick shubbery helps. They nest a lot in my bougainvillea, also in my lemon trees and a few multi-colored shrubs the name of which I don't know. They like high and thick so that they can keep the nest out iof sight. I find I have to be careful when pruning not to accidentally clip the nests.

As to how often these birds breed -- seems to be a lot, eithetr that or they pass on their successful nesting sites to their friends. I notice that once they've successfully nested in a place it becomes pretty constant in that location, maybe just a few weeks break here and there.

I haven't had to do anything to get birds to nest in my yard, they do it on their own. Providing a lot of thick shubbery helps. They nest a lot in my bougainvillea, also in my lemon trees and a few multi-colored shrubs the name of which I don't know. They like high and thick so that they can keep the nest out iof sight. I find I have to be careful when pruning not to accidentally clip the nests.

As to how often these birds breed -- seems to be a lot, eithetr that or they pass on their successful nesting sites to their friends. I notice that once they've successfully nested in a place it becomes pretty constant in that location, maybe just a few weeks break here and there.

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking of doing something extra to attract some new birds. Something like putting up little boxes with a whole in it (how you call that in proper English?).

And sure you have to be carefull with pruning, but then I'm thinking more of the bees nest I have in one of the palms. :o:D

Nienke

pictures please :o

Ok, but not of the waterhen. Of the garden life (I love my little camera toy :D )

I'll hope you enjoy!

Respectively:

* Flowers and fruit of cotton plant (i think)

* Flower water spinach, mimosa kind, mango flowers

* Happy boxer in boarding (and happy me, because I love boxers)

* MyLady Jasmin (that's my 13-yr old Afghan) and a almost 17-yr old Schnauzer I've had in baording

Well, I like all of those pics except the one of your dog taking a dump... I have a picture of my ma cleaning her dog's bum, but I think I will keep that one to myself :o

Interesting that when I clicked on the thread this time, I saw an ad for birds' nests at the top of the page! Ew. They look like prawn crackers:

birdsnest.bmp

Lovely nest in your boot. And great pixs from you Nienke.

Have you guys ever got a forward mail telling about a kid after she took on her shoes and felt asleep and fainted in school bus, and .....?

I dont know if is true or not. The little girl wore shoes and went in a school bus and then felt asleep. Later found out inside one of her shoes lied a little small snake inside and this snake bite her to death. :o

Dont leave the shoes out of the house furing raining season. Frog or toad shall using for shelter during flooding time :D

* Bird on my balcony last weekend, waiting the *eggs* in the Boot :D

post-14758-1147985086_thumb.jpg

post-14758-1147985114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kathe

Well, I like all of those pics except the one of your dog taking a dump... I have a picture of my ma cleaning her dog's bum, but I think I will keep that one to myself :D

Pffff absolute "Mother Nature's Call!" :o

Nice pic's from the pigeon (or dove??? have to look it up again), and the chicks are cute :D Hope that my waterhens will return and breed in my pond. Will be stand-by with my camera :D

• 10 months later...

Well it's that time of year again.

I thought I'd outsmarted the magpies by hiding my boots.

While I was hiding boots the cheeky sods have taken over my Thai bar bq thingy, which is sitting under my sala in the middle of my garden.

Talk about a roof over their heads !

Looks like there won't be any early evening barby's for a few weeks.

I'll post some pics if I ever get round to fixing my camera.