Returning Home?

drumcool

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your question has probably been answered but getting bored of reading through this thread.

If you have a british passport, you can use it to come to Thailand but then need to get a visa or you can get a thai passport and leave Thailand on it to the UK but it's going to cause problems in the long run. You are better to use one or the other, you could use both but it will get complicated and boring.

So usually, if you want to get a visa for up to a year using your british passport then you can use family to guarantee you or you can use your qualifications if you get a sponsership from some school or other employer. In monetary terms it's probably the best option because you should get paid the same as any other westerner etc etc, dont forget you might need money to go back to the uk so you should think about it wisely, otherwise you have to take a salary which you negotiate, normally at 21 it might be a little less than what you are used to. If you use your thai ID to come in and then use a British ID with an employer they will probably have a problem about no visa in it but you don't have to use the British passport, you have thai nationality so you can use that, maybe find an employer that will give you a westerners salary but it will probably be difficult.

Some people are going to have issues with you, if you use a British passport, Thais and any other nationality alike but at the end of the day you have to look after number one so just do as suits you best.

If you are going to use a British passport to find work, and you want to teach English or some other subject you'd better do it quickly because the terms will start soon, I speak mostly about schools because it's pretty much easiest and best paid but really you should have some experience in it. You could probably easily find work and it would be a good starting point. Ok so in some areas you might need to work on grammar but it's not something that I feel needs a great amount of work. You probably don't have time to do a Tefl course prior to coming here, it's still viable though.

About army conscription if you have enough money saved and want to come for a few years, you could just do it, you can also say that you are still studying and back visiting family etc and postpone it i doubt they will care that much, ok so it's a conscription but many people don't have to go. Anyway, if you do go and do a old job you can geta career from it too but if it's not your cup of tea then just have a meeting with them and explain the circumstances, I think your biggest concern should be about what to do about money when you are here.

I should clarify, you can get a Thai passport whilst in thailand if you wanted, you just need a thai ID card then use that to go back to the uk but that might be complicated etc. I'm not suggesting you cannot get a thai passport in London or something.

Again about English teaching which others might find comical, there are plenty of levels and you hold a degree from a uk university, you've lived there for a number of years so maybe you're not native but it shouldn't really take a lot of work to improve,nagain the deal will be on salaries really, if money doesn't bother you just use a thai passport, the army thing shouldn't be that big a deal

To the OP.

If you want to return to Thailand you'll need a Thai passport. Best place to get it issued is in the UK via the embassy in London. Then you can enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

If you are staying long term, then you are eligible for conscription.

If you are just going to Thailand for a few months, then going back to the UK, then you should be fine on that front.

I don't think that it's been established if he's eligible for a Thai passport yet,has it?

Sometimes people should think before posting on the more sensible threads here.

Not every little nitpicking point needs to be discussed.

OP has at least one Thai parent....that much is clear to the majority of us.

He has already stated that he once held a valid Thai National ID card, which means he is a citizen.

Assuming that the OP has never renounced Thai citizenship, in order to get a valid Thai passport you first need to have a valid Thai National ID card, both of which can be arranged at any Thai embassy with surprisingly little fuss, providing you're over 20 and still have your original expired card.

To the OP : if you really can' t read or write Thai you should go and report yourself to the district office of the address on your ID card so that you can get your exemption papers because by Royal decree, every servant of the Thai state (no distinction made between civilian or military) must be literate in Thai.

Edited by Trembly

To the OP.

If you want to return to Thailand you'll need a Thai passport. Best place to get it issued is in the UK via the embassy in London. Then you can enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

If you are staying long term, then you are eligible for conscription.

If you are just going to Thailand for a few months, then going back to the UK, then you should be fine on that front.

I don't think that it's been established if he's eligible for a Thai passport yet,has it?

Sometimes people should think before posting on the more sensible threads here.

Not every little nitpicking point needs to be discussed.

OP has at least one Thai parent....that much is clear to the majority of us.

Also think seriously about what he is asking as it makes no sense atall.

• Asking if he can work in Thailand as a Thai national..........!!!!!!!!!!
  • Asking about national service and his father is in the army......!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Born and raised in Thailand for 11yrs but now speaks no Thai although he lived in the UK with his Thai mother......!!!!!!!!!!!

First, you need another university to attend. the one you attend now is not giving the education you need from your fourm letter. Read the Visa and Dual citizen requirements if you can? It is all discribed there or, if you need help pay someone who knows. I only graduated from high school and understand the requirements and submitted my own documents and now have dual citizenship.... Good Luck You Will Need It....

Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you have any family here in Thailand who can answer all your questions?

You still speak fluently Thai?

I do but I do but they are busy atm. (time different) and Im researching now and looking for more answer.

I cant really speak thai. english is pretty much now my only language I speak. however i Understand thai well.

How did the research go?

Hopefully your family here in Thailand is not too busy anymore.

Have a feeling you got a bit more than you expected in this thread.

wink.png

Ask a simple question hope for some positive answers to that question.

Not on TV i'm afraid.

Good luck to the OP i am sure you will be alright even if it only turns out as a good holiday in your homeland.

Come here as a British person , jump through all our hoops and do not use your Thai id...

Simple . You are a British citizen on holiday... And they have no way to know you are here unless you let them know

Anyway probably too busy ordering soldiers to look after gardens for money as I read on here the other day...

Last thing you want is to end up in south Thailand!!!

I believe there is a law against being in Thailand on a foreign passport if you also happen to be a Thai citizen.

It's not going to be enforced Singapore style but the possibility for major trouble is there if you flout the law and the wrong official decides to act on it . . .

drumcool,

I'm half Thai-English, I speak, read and write Thai and I also hold a Thai passport. If you need help sorting out your paperwork feel free to PM me.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Stop with these English comments.

The guy went at 11 ended up in a school full of students who had been taught in the English medium since they were about 4. Always catching up , exams to study for, that's a lot of pressure. New culture, new friends, different environment completely....your comments are uneducated and unhelpful...he is doing just fine..and shows some ambition..he should be encouraged....

I reckon if he relearns Thai he has a multitude of opportunities here..

• Like 1

Come here as a British person , jump through all our hoops and do not use your Thai id...

Simple . You are a British citizen on holiday... And they have no way to know you are here unless you let them know

Anyway probably too busy ordering soldiers to look after gardens for money as I read on here the other day...

I believe there is a law against being in Thailand on a foreign passport if you also happen to be a Thai citizen.

It's not going to be enforced Singapore style but the possibility for major trouble is there if you flout the law and the wrong official decides to act on it . . .

Not in this circumstance. The only case is when a Naturalised Thai uses their foriegn passport to enter Thailand, which opens up the possibility of losing their Thai nationality. Doesn't apply to natural born Thai's, nor to women who have taken the nationality of their Thai husband.

Indeed, it is possible to get an extension of stay in the foreign passport upon proof of Thai nationality.

Not in this circumstance. The only case is when a Naturalised Thai uses their foriegn passport to enter Thailand, which opens up the possibility of losing their Thai nationality. Doesn't apply to natural born Thai's, nor to women who have taken the nationality of their Thai husband.

Indeed, it is possible to get an extension of stay in the foreign passport upon proof of Thai nationality.

I stand corrected. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

As a new member here I can't edit or delete any comments here...( It's too late anyway..)

Is there admin here currently reading this post right now? if so, could you please delete this post? or tell me how to do it?

so I can start new topic to get the 'information'... with good grammar and spelling of cause..

Edited by drumcool

If the guys got a British passport . His ONLY passport , how can he be worried about Thai Army service ? I mean Jeeez!!!

A Thai citizen is a Thai citizen. You don't stop being a Thai citizen just because you use another passport to enter Thailand. All that happens is that you subject yourself to the immigration rules.

My kids have three passports, including Thai even though they were not born here. When we need them to be, they are treated as Thai by officialdom. The OP should renew his Thai passport and enter Thailand with it. He won't need to worry about work permits or extensions of stay or visa runs.

As for military service, as he says, he is deaf in one ear and doesn't speak, read or write Thai. It's unlikely he'll be pressed into service.

The gap year in his homeland will be good for him.

T

• Like 2

I said I can't 'really' speak Thai.... At short time here I kinda understand what's going on in this community. after all; why should I shares my personal information here? When most people here are more judgemental than useful but thanks for those who had helped and me this probably will be my last post here.

• Like 1

I said I can't 'really' speak Thai.... At short time here I kinda understand what's going on in this community. after all; why should I shares my personal information here? When most people here are more judgemental than useful but thanks for those who had helped and me this probably will be my last post here.

You don't need to make it your last post, unless you really want it to be.

You just do what the rest of the long standing members do, and differentiate between the Wheat and the Chaff and the all round Eejit.

And once again, a guy asks a question here on TV and is subjected to a barrage of bitter and twisted abuse.

drumcool, you are entirely right, you should be very careful sharing any personal information here on TVF - the forum is overrun with some very sad, very bitter and very twisted people.

You are young, you have life in front of you, you can choose to live here and enjoy rights here or you can choose to live in the UK (and the whole of the EU) and enjoy rights there.

You've got it all going for you - when you understand that, you'll understand where all the spite and envy you have been treated to comes from.

• Like 2

there are 3 types of people here, ones helping you, ones joking a little, sorry if that caused offence, and those that believe there girl is the only girl in thailand who is good.

I made a joke, looking back could have very easily been seen as a rude judmental comment, will man up and say sorry when i'm wrong.

He was 11 everyone around him speaks English, probably became natural even with his mother. His whole environment is English..sometimes you have to make a conscious effort to speak your native tongue...a few phone calls home ain't going to sustain that.

He has changed countries, culturally, a completely different way of being taught, new friends...11 is a difficult age..going from junior school to high school is bad enough for some without those variables.

Good on your wife's sister..but a stupid comparison..

He is probably under estimating his ability to communicate in Thai...it's innately there..

Slag off the silly expats here with young like illiterate wives...but not a kid who asks a valid question on an English forum in good English.( probably didn't review before posting).,

The kid has a lot of advantages as far as I can see when he returns here..

@Mig16

You impose an impossible condition on those who would like to help out here.

It seems that here as with most of these "dual passport problem cases", the very moment the issue at hand

approaches being solved or the question being answered, the OP adds yet another condition that they have

heretofore forgotten or neglected to mention.

This case is no exception.

In this case, with every post by the OP we can see that notwithstanding their claim of being a UK university student they

are labouring under serious linguistic interference from the Thai language.

These two obstacles to clearing the OP's problem are compounded by the impatience of more than a few exasperated

TV members and their "off topic" remarks.

Loads of hits, I bet, though ;-)

By the way if you have a degree then the military requirement is different, you just go to a few lessons from what I understand of it

To be precise, if you volunteer with a degree, then you only serve 6 months.

If you take the chance with he lottery, have a degree but then get conscripted, then you serve the entire 2 years.

Well, that was several pages worth of deletions.

Let me remind members of a few pertinent links here

Forum netiquette, I strongly suggest some of our members read it. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254949-forum-netiquette/

and forum rules, everyone should read them. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

And finally a notice. People post on this forum for help and advice. Not ridicule and troll posts. If you don't have anything helpful to offer and you can't do it in a civil manner then don't bother to post at all. Troll posts are not welcome.

cheers

• Like 1

Did anyone say: if you have Thai id then get a Thai passport. The when the op comes to Thailand, enter on his Thai passport. Then the op can stay as long as he wants.

Did not want to read 10 pages, so apologies if this has already been said.

I know an ethnic-Thai person who was born in the US to Thai parents. He has now moved to Thailand but entered on his US passport. He has not gone through any procedures to obtain a Thai passport (and I don't think he has an ID card). He was on a non-O visa because his mother is here. He has now changed to a non-B visa and has a work permit. I am assuming this is all due to the conscription issue, but he has never said for sure.

Best of luck.