Poll: Foreigners In Thailand: When You're Here, Do You Consider Yourself A "guest" Of Thailand?

Jingthing

The semantics of the word GUEST  

305 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted no simply on the basis that guests don't pay to stay. Whilst upmarket hotels use that term, it's really just a touchy-feely version of 'customer'

Errr...all hotels use that term. It is, by definition, the correct one.

these 6*-hotels are using that term:

Slum-hotel.JPG

Hands up if your brain took some time absorbing this picture. Lol.

as long you need a visa you are a guest, like it or not! I am a german citizen with a US green card ( ALLIEN resident, but not US citizen ) and have a retirement visa for Thailand, how much better can it be ?

but I feel I am a guest in US and in LOS, I have more rights in the US but more fun in LOS, so : go with the flow btw I am 53 years young, male and healthy and independent ( financially and s.xually )\ I don't complain about politics, taxes ( I pay none), corruption ( just use it to your advance) and I will get my retirement check in five years from Germania, life is good. as a guest life is much better, because you can leave anytime without regrets and find another place or go home ( Germania ) and live in assistant living home and the government pays for it, I feel sorry for the expats here in LOS who burned all the bridges and are stuck here and jumping left and right from roof tops or balconieshit-the-fan.gif or hang themselves, or shoot themselves at a shooting range, if I would be ever out of money and would not be able to get a job, my family would take care of me in the most pleasant way ( for me ), so back to the top : guest! as long you are not a citizen of the country you are living in, and this is especially a message to this farangs who are saying : I pay more taxes than all the thai people I know,

btw : If you pay taxes you make a shitload of dosh, more than in your homecountry, don't complain and be whyni pants, get a good accountant and don't let your wifey doing the bookscheesy.gif keep her in the kitchen and in the bedroom,

raise the kids and clean the house, don't let her drive the new range rover, get her a junker, you drop of the kids at school and YOU pick them up in the new RR (leased not owned) because you are THE MAN but still a guest and hopefully smarter than

the average numnutscheesy.gif but who are they ? all of us expats ? shure, or better : yes, indeed, nity nite, sweet dreams for all of us, love youwub.png

I think the only suitable word is guest. Retired and enjoying the hospitality of Thailand as a guest, sure.

I rather be called guest, than alien which is the welcoming phrase in US when you visit. Alien certainly do not have a nice ring to it.

I think the only suitable word is guest. Retired and enjoying the hospitality of Thailand as a guest, sure.

I rather be called guest, than alien which is the welcoming phrase in US when you visit. Alien certainly do not have a nice ring to it.

Really, who welcomes visitors with that phrase in the US?

Are you aware that in fact, by definition, you are an alien? And that by law that is what you are classified as here in Thailand?

I couldnt care less what they call me, not that insecure to be questioning what my status is in Thailand, I am here to work, I get paid...and as long as I keep getting paid correctly they can call what ever they want...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Are you aware that in fact, by definition, you are an alien? And that by law that is what you are classified as here in Thailand?

They dont not in my experience of travelling in and out the US...but obviously under written law...its Alien

I couldnt care less what they call me, not that insecure to be questioning what my status is in Thailand...

Nor me. Though I suppose in some circumstances I'd care what Thais called me - but what I really don't care about is the proper thing to call myself (which is the question in the OP).

I I guess as a US citizen you will not be regarded as alien, but US Immigration, TSA and Homeland security do refer us non US citizens as aliens.

I guess as a US citizen you will not be regarded as alien, but US Immigration, TSA and Homeland security do refer us non US citizens as aliens.

No, of course not. By definition, a citizen is not an alien. Again, who welcomes visitors to the US with that phrase?

And again, the Thai government agencies also classify you as an alien, just as those of the US use the term for foriegn citizens as such - because that's correct BY DEFINITION.

I I guess as a US citizen you will not be regarded as alien, but US Immigration, TSA and Homeland security do refer us non US citizens as aliens.

I have travelled in and out the US extensively over the years and have never been once referred to as an Alien by US immigration, Grant "alien" is the word used in the written law

but no immigration offiical has ever said to me " Hello Mr Alien, what are doing in the US ?"

I donot consider myself a quest. I feel I am on a pay as you go extended holiday, I can leave any time give the wife the house sell the car and bike and be gone in 2 days.Not a quest, not a resident just a guy enjoying life here for the moment.I could be in Brazil next month for all I know.

I have travelled in and out the US extensively over the years and have never been once referred to as an Alien by US immigration, Grant "alien" is the word used in the written law

but no immigration offiical has ever said to me " Hello Mr Alien, what are doing in the US ?"

Of course not, neither does the Thai immigration or any other for that matter but US officially refers to you as an alien. No other country that I have visited use the term alien, albeit correct by definition.

I have to correct myself here, Latvia does apparently use the word alien for certain passport holders, but not in general for all non Latvians.

Edited by Svante

No other country that I have visited use the term alien, albeit correct by definition.

And AGAIN: Thailand does.

Perhaps you've never visited a lot of places? Japan for instance - they use it.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Been reading most of the posts and seen lot of bickering around terms and definitions... so I will try to give you my 5 cents, based on the following definitions:

- Guest: A person to whom hospitality is extended in one’s country / city / house

- Immigrant: A person that comes to a foreign country to take up permanent (legal) residence
- Resident: A person who lives in a place for some length of time
- Alien / foreigner: A person belonging to or owning allegiance to another country

From those definitions, what will I be when I live in Thailand on a non-imm Visa with 1y retirement extension?

A ) I will be a guest in Thailand, because they extend their hospitality to me (ok, various degrees possible) while I stay in this country
B ) I will always be an alien / foreigner, because I will never apply / qualify for Thai citizenship and I must report my stay in Thailand every 90 days.
C ) I will be a resident in Thailand with a residence permit called Non-Imm Visa, and I must renew my extension to stay every year.
D ) I will be an immigrant into Thailand, because I will come to live for the rest of my life and I can do that as long as I fulfil the requirements that the Thai government has set out.

I know... now some posters will tell me “what do you not understand from the term “non-immigrant Visa””? For those people, my answer is simple: It is a question of the mindset, how you define / see yourself as when living in Thailand. Other countries have other Visa terms but those Visa tipes also require the Visa holders to re-qualify on a regular basis. Switzerland knows Visa types L, B, C, G as one example, also special Visa types for retirement (no work allowed, must have health insurance, must prove sufficient funds, can be given permanent or renewable). So that is not too different from Thailand, of course with the exception of the 90d address reporting which is automatic in Switzerland.

Foreigners, in what ever country they are, have to follow the rules and fulfil the requirements to uphold their permit to stay, whatever that permit is called. For me, the term “non-imm visa” is purely technical and does not impact my thinking of my status as described above. But that is just my 5 cents.

I am here for 6 years. Retired. Live in my own place.

As my immediate surrounding is concerned - I am a Thai resident.

As my political views are - I am a guest (keep my mouth shut).

As my immigration status - I am an ALIEN! (that ugly dangerous creature laying eggs, remember?).

As my personal freedom is concerned - I am on a 90 days Notice, like 99% of the rest.

I think that overall my position is ugly, insecure and not justified by any logic.

I like Thailand. Thailand does not like me.sorry.gif

Thank you for such a perfect example of mindset:

- logic: Since when do laws and requirements have logic in it? They existed when you came here and since this is Thailand, they will probably not change in our lifetime

- insecurity: why do you feel insecure? Do you have problems fulfilling the requirements, i.e. 800K in the bank for the retirement extension? If so, is that the problem of Thailand or your own problem?

- yes, you are a guest, a resident and an alien (foreigner), as every foreigner is in every other country he lives in. What is the problem with that if not your mindset?

- 90 days notice: that is not true, since your extension to stay is renewed annually. Yes, it can be annoying (ugly) to plan travelling around the 90d address reporting, everybody would be happy with more flexibility. But again, that rule exists for long and is unlikely to change.

Are you willing / able to change your mindset about these points and accept them and deal with them without getting upset / emotional? That is the big question, is it not?

Six months or so ago the neighbor (Thai) asked me when I was going home. I said I wasn't, never planned on going home again (with possible family emergencies aside). He said "good". and left it at that.

Never considered myself a guest here.

• Like 2

Six months or so ago the neighbor (Thai) asked me when I was going home. I said I wasn't, never planned on going home again (with possible family emergencies aside). He said "good". and left it at that.

He was asking because guests usually have to go at some stage.

I think he was giving you a hint.

I am here for 6 years. Retired. Live in my own place.

As my immediate surrounding is concerned - I am a Thai resident.

As my political views are - I am a guest (keep my mouth shut).

As my immigration status - I am an ALIEN! (that ugly dangerous creature laying eggs, remember?).

As my personal freedom is concerned - I am on a 90 days Notice, like 99% of the rest.

I think that overall my position is ugly, insecure and not justified by any logic.

I like Thailand. Thailand does not like me.sorry.gif

Thank you for such a perfect example of mindset:

- logic: Since when do laws and requirements have logic in it? They existed when you came here and since this is Thailand, they will probably not change in our lifetime

- insecurity: why do you feel insecure? Do you have problems fulfilling the requirements, i.e. 800K in the bank for the retirement extension? If so, is that the problem of Thailand or your own problem?

- yes, you are a guest, a resident and an alien (foreigner), as every foreigner is in every other country he lives in. What is the problem with that if not your mindset?

- 90 days notice: that is not true, since your extension to stay is renewed annually. Yes, it can be annoying (ugly) to plan travelling around the 90d address reporting, everybody would be happy with more flexibility. But again, that rule exists for long and is unlikely to change.

Are you willing / able to change your mindset about these points and accept them and deal with them without getting upset / emotional? That is the big question, is it not?

Hi, Swiss 1960.

-logic: usually the laws and requirements do have some logic in them. Also this stupid 90 days reporting is a novelty. It did not exist before its introduction - check it out. I comply, but this does not mean it is not stupid.

-insecurity: no problems with 800K. But the Thai requirements can change any day. Enough in itself for insecurity.

-yes: It was me who said I am a guest and a resident and an alien here. However the attitude to guests, residents and foreigners in most countries is different. From this point only Thailand is not the most welcoming place.

-90 days notice: lucky me to agree with you on this one.

What was your comment about?whistling.gif Ah, yes, my mindset! As can be seen from my post my mindset is fine. I do deal with all requirements. I am here. I sleep well. I am not emotional. I expressed my opinion on the existing rules.

Obviously you are a 100% happy type in any place. Sorry, I'm not you...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is not our perception that counts. Not even our neighbor's.