Poll: Foreigners In Thailand: When You're Here, Do You Consider Yourself A "guest" Of Thailand?

Jingthing

The semantics of the word GUEST  

305 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest?

The Thais consider us prey to be harvested.

Some Thais consider us prey.

However, for those of us with loved ones or good friends that is not what they think. My closest friend didn't even want to accept a gift I got him, admonishing me that it was too expensive. Perhaps one day you will fall in love with one or be lucky enough to have friends like that.

• Like 1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised at the results so far. I figured a small majority would say NOT GUEST.

What term do you think best fits the description of foreign residents in Thailand that do not officially hold residency status?

Perpetual tourists...

I'm surprised at the results so far. I figured a small majority would say NOT GUEST.

What term do you think best fits the description of foreign residents in Thailand that do not officially hold residency status?

Perpetual tourists...

eXpats.

I'm not a guest as I work here.

I work here too and consider myself a guest...as simply if someone official/goverment department decides to change employment rules for what ever reason, I could find myself out of a job as could a lot of other people...ie we are here only as long as they want us here to work

• Like 1

Regardless of the poll results, examining this definition of guest, I'm now wondering if considering ourselves guests of an entire nation is simply incorrect:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/guest

From this definition, being invited is one definition. The country doesn't invite us. A visa isn't an invitation: you APPLY for a visa. You can also be a guest in a hotel and of course generally you just book or show up at a hotel and are not invited. So guest can be used for situations of being invited and also not being invited. So you could stretch it and see Thailand as a hotel where you stay and they never invited you. But I don't think that makes sense. A hotel is one thing, an entire nation something else. That's the key I think, if you really can see a nation the same way as a hotel.

Generally we need visas or even a 30 day stamp is a sort of official permission to stay in Thailand. You don't need a visa to get invited to dinner as a guest. To stay at a hotel, you can pay with a VISA card, but again you don't need a visa.

Does staying/visiting a foreign country really fit with the word guest? I think not so much.

I do nnot consider myself a guest. I consider myself to be a supernumeray of Thai society.

• Like 1

I'll always be a 'guest' here until I am allowed to buy a house in my name on a small plot of land I own. I do not want much land, enough to park my car, have a small garden and put the house on. I do not want to buy tracts of land to use for farming or to deprive the locals.

Edited by pattayadingo
  • Like 1

No I do not consider myself a 'Guest'.

I pay more taxes here than almost any Thai I have ever met and obey more laws here than most Thais would consider 'decent'.

Take my money... Take my f'king opinions too.

So you do not consider yourself a guest if you are living in Thailand. Now all you need to do is convince the Government, the Police, Immigration and the Thai public to share your views on this subject, as our opinions or whatever status we consider we have here, means nothing unless it has official backing and support.

Of course we are guests and as foreigners have very few statutory rights here in Thailand. We can be thrown out on the whim at anytime

I'm betting I enjoy more rights and suffer less abuse of my rights than the vast majority of Thais do in their own country.

Meaning:

If you become sick, you can receive Government funded benefits and healthcare,

You have the freedom to own any types of businesses, can be a sole owner or majority shareholder of any business or work at any job,

You can legally purchase and own your home, invest in real estate, property and land, have total control on your home utilities under your name,

Pay equal to the Thais for any services, goods, visits to national attractions - museums, etc, without prejudice.

Work voluntary either within your local community or on behalf of a charity without Government permission,

Form a band or drama group and play in public either for free or for a fee,

Have a say within your local community by being able to vote in any local community or authority elections,

Live freely or stay anywhere nationwide without the authorities keeping tabs on you,

And if you get down on your luck financially, you can beg, work or borrow without the fear of being arrested, detained by the police, fined and deported.

It may appear on the surface that we have relative freedom in Thailand, but the reality is that the Thai authorities have has well under the thumb, inhibited and restricted in many ways with virtually no statutory rights. I am not saying I don`t like it here, as in my case I am retired and financially secure, presently meeting the criteria, but I`m certainly not living a delusion that I am anything more than just permitted long term stayer in Thailand, having to be totally self supportive, independent and squeaky clean, entitled to virtually nothing under the Thai system.

Sorry guesthouse, but you don`t have that many rights to be abused.

Some of those you can get in a lot of countries, but a few of them youll never get without the proper papers (land, titles, voting rights. living freely, and in plenty of cases own your own visa)... Well, unless this was the 90s and you were buying yourself an irish passport. Wha im suggesting is that fighting fro basic rights (even as a tourist) is one thing, but demanding citizenship is quite another.

I work here too and consider myself a guest...as simply if someone official/goverment department decides to change employment rules for what ever reason, I could find myself out of a job as could a lot of other people...ie we are here only as long as they want us here to work

A guest is someone who has been invited, or receives hospitality from the inviter. I provide a service, receive a salary and pay tax. I'm not a citizen and, as you say, could be out of a job and the country at short notice, but I still don't consider myself as a "guest".

A guest is someone who has been invited, or receives hospitality from the inviter. I provide a service, receive a salary and pay tax. I'm not a citizen and, as you say, could be out of a job and the country at short notice, but I still don't consider myself as a "guest".

"So where are you living?"

"Well currently I am a guest of Thailand"

"Wow that sounds great! So you stay for free?"

"No I paid for a house in my wife's name"

"Oh, but you travel for free, right?"

"No I pay for all my travel."

"I see... Food vouchers then? Free visa? Expense account?"

"No... "

"Then why do you call yourself a guest?

"The Thai Visa 'you're a guest' brigade said I was."

And if that includes the land the house is situated on, and the real state is not part of your registered company, than you have broken the law and you are not entitled to any of it, and your Thai wife has also broken the law by accepting your money to purchase the land.

Everyone has to pay for they`re own food and travel, wherever they are.

And the fact that you need to obtain a visa free or otherwise, means you are a guest here requiring a regular visa or permissions to stay.