Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Yaowapa's Return Shores Up A Dynasty

webfact

" so the PM could smoothly manage the country without having to worry about her duties as an MP,"

yes those pesky MP duties, like defending the constitution, rule of law etc..they do get in the way of smooth management

So now Yingluk doesn't have to attend parliament because her sister does?

As a party list MP without a constituency, precisely what exacting MP duties are making life difficult for the poor dear?

Dynasty or Oligarchy?

I think oligarchy would suit the Shinawats better.

Oligarchy: ": a government in which a small group exercises control especially for corrupt and selfish purposes; also : a group exercising such control"

I would not consider them a dynasty yet as they really have no great history behind them. Thaksin has been the only power of substance so far.

Just a greedy, power hungry family.

We refer, with great respect, I believe, to the Chakri dynasty etc.

Dynasty:dy·nas·ty (dn-st)

n. pl. dy·nas·ties

1. A succession of rulers from the same family or line.

2. A family or group that maintains power for several generations: a political dynasty controlling the state.

I actually thought it a bit naughty of the paper to call them a dynasty, given how sensitive that topic is in Thailand.

I have said before I always thought the master plan was to get Yingluck into office first. Then when the government was packed full of Thaksin toadies, he does the triumphant return to glory here. Then Yingluck is overwhelmed by the office , and steps aside while Thaksin takes over as PM.

However the plan to return Thaksin is not going well , and is behind schedule. Thus support is lagging. So time to bring in She Who Must Be Obeyed to take the reins of power to keep Thaksin's return rolling along smoothly. It all makes me want to throw up... :-( Politicians governing for the good of the people is only a passing concept in the west, and is completely alien here in Thailand. What a fantastic country this could be if it was not being looted constantly.....

You demonstrate how appropriate your avatar is sir! Excellent comments.

I think Yingluck will simply hand over the reins to somebody more experienced. Party list dispenses with any election need. Job done.

I know Thailand seems to have always suffered from being looted - but just wait till the expert gets back. Notice from the OP how responsibility for budgets and spending is already carved up nicely.

The Shinawatra family learned a lesson and the consequences of using a figurehead outside the family when they entrusted Samak Sundaravej with the PM's hat.

They dumped Samak when he got too independent. He could have returned to PM after his disqualification, but he was proving not malleable enough, so the compliant milk-toast Somchai was installed. Then the even more submissive Yingluck was implanted. Followed by the family bulldog to keep all in check.

They clan doesn't trust outsiders.