3G Mobile Services Attracting Large Numbers Of Users, Kicks Off In Thailand

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told him already that I look forward to his next excuse on Friday.

Too. Many. Words.

I bet he's really looking forward to dealing with you again.

smile.png

He's already added jbrain to his "ignore list". tongue.png

Some people just don;t seem capable of understanding how others perceive them.whistling.gif

I don't know why I even bother to reply to you Mr Lomatopologist, but it seems from your posts on this forum over a long period that you are the only TV member that has always the ideal relation with all those phone companies. Always maximum up and download speed, whatever provider is complained about on this forum.

What is your relationship in this matter, other then just bullying ?

It is clear from mine and others experiences, I recall you posted it yourself some time ago, that AIS clearly isn't ready to make the switch to 2100 Mhz and they are just telling their customers porkies.

And don't worry I'm not on his ignore list, he calls me spontaneously since they have agreed to freeze my bill for the past 3 months untill they get my issues solved.

And after all the number is registered in Thai name, so where they gonna get their money if they can't clear the matter?

Edited by jbrain

My Wife and myself both registered with AIS on the same day.

We both received the SMS saying that the signal would be available in our area in May 2013.

After a few days my Wife got the SMS for upgrading and now has 3G. (Previously only Edge)

I got nothing.

Tried registering again using the call center automatic system and was told that I was already registered and would receive an SMS when the signal was available in my area as it is not at the moment.

Strange that my Wife has it , living in the same house as me. rolleyes.gif

Maybe she sits in a different room.

OK... the penny has dropped..... i believe.

Is this MNP quota related ? If so, it will get interesting as there is a quota, and i wonder how they will migrate millions of numbers through a limited quota system.

Pretty sure this is one of the issues besides a patchy network as it grows.

Any idea's ?

Too. Many. Words.

And your point is ?

I stopped reading when you blew a fuse about getting a stock letter instead of a personalised grovel.

This doesn't work.

post-142120-0-06858200-1368755552_thumb.

• Like 1

Too. Many. Words.

And your point is ?

I stopped reading when you blew a fuse about getting a stock letter instead of a personalised grovel.

This doesn't work.

attachicon.gifjbrain.jpg

I blew a fuse ??

This is what I wrote in my post

.I have made them aware how I feel about insults since.

It sounds like the picture shows how you usually make someone aware of your feelings. And stock letter or not, it was their incompetence that was the reason my sim card needed replacement, so yes I feel insulted if they send me a letter and try to put the blame on me.

UPDATE UPDATE

At 1.30pm today finally upgraded to the new network, a bit overtime as they had said 9am, but according to the service center that was because I had mobile office and I had to deactivate it first.

Something I have never heard about, so definitely also hadn't subscribed to, so when I told them that the reply was Ooooh.

Fine I can finally connect to the 52003 network, no internet yet but they promise to send me a message with the settings.

1.55pm : No network available on my phone. Manual search network > find 52003 signal > register > message :can not connect to this network.

Back to THGSM smile.png

Make a call to 1175 and explain exactly what happens,

But sir you have to connect to 52003. Isn't that what I'm telling you that it doesn't allow me to connect.

Oh sir you have to go to the shop and go upgrade your sim. laugh.png

Come on Lomatopologist, tell me again how perfect the 3G network is in Thailand

Edited by jbrain

francescoassisi, on 14 May 2013 - 06:37, said:

I is a shame that people seem to think that giving frequencies is some kind of answer. I expected to get a Cheaper and faster service. There is NO INTERNET PACKAGE that does this. I have had the old 3G service for several years....at best it was a poor service. I now find having registered and had my SIM replaced that the old service is still the only internet only package available.

The whole thing seems to be a scam to get new customers without actually offering any improved product.

It really doesn't,t matter if it's 3G or 10G if there is no change in the products available to the customer

Can you share any details on your situation? Location, device(s), applications, usage, what "old" plan did you have? what was the price? pre-paid or post-paid; more detail is better than none of course.

We're very early on in the launch of new 2100 MHz 3G services so I might chalk up any issues: new plans, porting - to the newness rather than some scam.

Obviously TrueMove H and DTAC/Happy might have alternate (older, 850 MHz 3G or even some combination of newer 2100 MHz) suitable services for you, depending on your location and equipment.

I do see quite a few new bundled, voice/data, data-only (tablet) post-paid packages at AIS. http://www.ais.co.th/3g/th/index.aspx#tips

I think we can help you find the available services assuming we more fully understand your situation.

AIS - what a shambles!

Who are you anyhow? Do you work for AIS - if so I'd like to meet you.

PS - do you think it is good advice to tell a dissatisfied customer to go to another company? It sounds like AIS arre just trying to get rid of customers who see through their incompetence.

Edited by wilcopops

Do you work for AIS

PS - do you think it is good advice to tell a dissatisfied customer to go to another company?

When I said "We're very early on in the launch of new 2100 MHz 3G services...", I meant the collective "we", as in all of us here in Thailand.

I understand that English is not the first language of everyone here so I should be a bit more careful with my words.

I do not work for AIS, DTAC or TrueMove (H).

Yes, I absolutely think it is good advice to tell a dissatisfied customer to go to another company. wink.png

Do you work for AIS

PS - do you think it is good advice to tell a dissatisfied customer to go to another company?

When I said "We're very early on in the launch of new 2100 MHz 3G services...", I meant the collective "we", as in all of us here in Thailand.

I understand that English is not the first language of everyone here so I should be a bit more careful with my words.

I do not work for AIS, DTAC or TrueMove (H).

Yes, I absolutely think it is good advice to tell a dissatisfied customer to go to another company. wink.png

How would you like to be asked to go to another web site? If I don't like your opinion (and I don't) it would be much better for me if you went and posted elsewhere - How do you like that attitude?

the fact is that AIS are not up to offering a proper service and they are trying desperately to get rid of dissatisfied customers - this is because they simply can't be bothered offering a full customer service and their 1175 number is so overloaded the staff there just can't be bothered - in fact I'd suggest they even deliberately have taken it off-line form time to time.

It is so often the case in corporate Thailand that when the going gets tough.....the staff get going ......... and disappear...they just don't want to know.

Edited by wilcopops

the fact is that AIS are not up to offering a proper service and they are trying desperately to get rid of dissatisfied customers - this is because they simply can't be bothered offering a full customer service

this is my experience too, at the Serenade shop in Paragon, the Serenade shop at Central World and the call center

Oops. Did it again. Sorry.

I should have said that yes, I think it is good that we as ThaiVisa members, not affiliated with any local mobile telephone service provider in any capacity, recommend that other ThaiVisa members consider trying another service provider in the event that they are dissatisfied. Must stop using "we".

Obviously it is never a good idea for employees to drive away current customers.

Based on what appears to be a large number of dissatisfied customers, both here on ThaiVisa and on Thai social forums, AIS is facing challenges migrating customers to their new 2100 MHz 3G service. Perhaps it might just be best for AIS customers to wait a few more months, after all you've suffered with sub-par 3G service already for close to t wo years so what is a another month or two, before attempting to transition? Let others suffer as AIS sorts out their processes

DTAC, and TrueMove, seem to be taking a safer path, but then they already can offer decent 3G service.

Edited by lomatopo

Well, as for DTAC, it remains to be seen, since they haven't even launched their 2100 Mhz 3G service as yet... Announced it yes. Turned it on, no.

And regardless of what they end up doing with the new 3G band service, the broader question is can they be a decent phone/data service provider. Based on recent past history with their various service failures/outages, I'd say that's an open question.

As for True Move, aren't they forecast to continue losing gobs of money for the coming years? There must be some reason for that, apart from the cap-ex expenditures that all the carriers are having to make.

Yes, DTAC did suffer perhaps as many as five (5) service disruptions, several of which were severe, last year while they were completely revamping and modernizing their infrastructure to accommodate future growth and improve provisioning. While I was never affected by these disruptions I do know a few people who were. I think the good news is that DTAC may be best prepared to handle the challenges of provisioning new 2100 MHz customers? And, since DTAC's 850 and 1800 MHz concessions still have five-ish years to run, this investment was more justifiable than it might have been for TrueMove or even AIS?

As I was a customer of AIS's for ~ 7 years I just had to switch as I really wanted to have 3G, and AIS seemed incapable of delivering that, in part due to their lack of spectrum, and their aged infrastructure cobbled together from various and sundry suppliers over the years.

I think AIS should be able to get their act together at some point, so maybe just be patient? But even then they may not have enough spectrum for the sheer number of customers they are trying to accommodate? (excluding roaming agreements with TOT)

In the meantime I continue to get amazing performane from DTAC, and more than passable 3G from TrueMove H.

(Same hardware: GN4, same physical location: Wireless Road)

post-9615-0-36490100-1368850690_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-73886100-1368850703_thumb.jp

Easy enough to get good bandwidth results with speedtest.net. As has been proven lots of times the test results only show the speed to a cached copy in Bangkok. Only a few speed test websites such as dslreport.com shows actual international throughput. Of course as long as you're only using services hosted in Thailand it's not a problem, but very few websites are actually hosted in Thailand, even in Thai language and/or .th domain names.

For 3G speedtests, and even for fixed-broadband testing, most of the time we are really testing the access or edge performance to make sure that 'technology' is functioning acceptably.

I think everyone will stipulate to the fact that international bandwidth might remain the limiting factor in any/all sorts of end-to-end applications.

That said, for most smartphone applications, end-to-end performance may be less vital than say desktop apps. like streaming video (higher resolution), FTP, file sharing and the like?

I guess I would prefer 14 Mbps rather than say 75 Kbps given the choice.whistling.gif

Of course, but my point is that some people might expect actual better performance for their everyday usage based on these fake speedtests. All I'm saying is for most people it will not make much, if any, difference to their everyday usage experience using 4G, so paying extra money for it would really be a waste - particularly if it is true that 4G consumes considerably more battery power.

I think it all depends on how any particular user uses data services on their smartphone/tablet.

With my smartphone, most of the time, I'm using data messaging or VOIP calling (which is relatively low demand on bandwidth) and Google search. So for that, for me, the comprehensive availability of mobile data via 3G (or even Edge) is more important than the speed of the data.

But on my Android tablet, I'm more using the high bandwidth data consumption/streaming services, which usually aren't based in or co-located here. And I don't care so much about the broad availability, since I mostly use the tablet at home (on my own house wifi) or when traveling (and usually using hotel wifi, etc).

And that's just me. Obviously, different people have different use profiles even for their mobile devices. Some folks here seem to use their mobile data service, via tethering or whatever, as their main internet connection for their home.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Not sure how we made the leap to 4G as this topic is primarily about 2100 MHz, and most service providers are offering 3G data and voice on this new spectrum. (Yes, TrueMove are deploying some 4G/LTE in select areas on 2100 MHz.)

I have zero experience with 4G, either usage or battery life.

Just to reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient. I'm sure AIS will eventually sort things out, and by all accounts, customers who have successfully migrated to AIS's 2100 MHz service (both of them ? ;)), the service seems quite good.

Again, I will strongly agree that a robust, high performance 3G link will not, or may not, result in significant performance increases for those applications which require international bandwidth. But I'd still rather have decent 3G performance vs. crappy 3G or 2G performance, given the same approximate price points.

.. reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient.

Or MNP to True 3G / 4G with 10x more coverage if your not. Can always MNP back later if AIS sorts out their mess

Then again, AIS has great brand loyalty, and better CRM, still does not compensate for a decent network for me

Just to reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient. I'm sure AIS will eventually sort things out, and by all accounts, customers who have successfully migrated to AIS's 2100 MHz service (both of them ? wink.png), the service seems quite good.

Really ? Then how do you explain that I who have been " successfully " migrated to the 2100 MHz network yesterday, get disconnected from the network every 15 minutes.

When I make a manual network search and find the 52003 network, in 90% of the case it will give me the message " can not connect try again later ". When I'm able to connect to it I will be disconnected again 15 minutes later.

Now I'm on the THgsm network again wit and " R " from roaming next to my phone signal and no internet.

Keep in mind that I'm within 300 meters of several major landmarks, like Highway 7 and Highway 36, and I every possible provider is visible when I do a network search at my location

Just to reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient. I'm sure AIS will eventually sort things out, and by all accounts, customers who have successfully migrated to AIS's 2100 MHz service (both of them ? wink.png), the service seems quite good.

Really ? Then how do you explain that I who have been " successfully " migrated to the 2100 MHz network yesterday, get disconnected from the network every 15 minutes.

When I make a manual network search and find the 52003 network, in 90% of the case it will give me the message " can not connect try again later ". When I'm able to connect to it I will be disconnected again 15 minutes later.

Now I'm on the THgsm network again wit and " R " from roaming next to my phone signal and no internet.

Keep in mind that I'm within 300 meters of several major landmarks, like Highway 7 and Highway 36, and I every possible provider is visible when I do a network search at my location

Maybe you need to change your sim card.

Did you read my post higher up that they upgraded my sim card twice already since 21 March ?

Just to reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient. I'm sure AIS will eventually sort things out, and by all accounts, customers who have successfully migrated to AIS's 2100 MHz service (both of them ? Posted Image), the service seems quite good.

Now I'm on the THgsm network again wit and  " R " from roaming next to my phone signal and no internet.

Keep in mind that I'm within 300 meters of several major landmarks, like Highway 7 and Highway 36, and I  every possible provider is visible when I do a network search at my location

Did you read my post higher up that they upgraded my sim card twice already since 21 March ?

Nope. Didn't read that :P

I'm happy to report no problem for my Gf upgrading to 2100 Ais 3g.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

.. reiterate the message to the frustrated AIS customers, be patient.

Or MNP to True 3G / 4G with 10x more coverage if your not. Can always MNP back later if AIS sorts out their mess

Then again, AIS has great brand loyalty, and better CRM, still does not compensate for a decent network for me

I assume that MNP is transfer your number to another provider right ?

I just inquired with AIS about this and they told me it would take only 3 working days to transfer my number to another provider, whereas I think to have read reports onhere that it takes months in fact.

Can anyone report about experience with transfer number to another provider.

I've done that, first from DTAC to AIS and later on to True. No problem.

Thanks Phil, but can you confirm that it was only a matter of a few days instead of weeks before your " old " number was active with the new provider .

Edited by jbrain