Serious About Learning Thai

wellred

I'm wondering if maybe replying on programmes such as pimsleur is not the best way to go abouts learning Thai. A few people have said I should learn to read and write too as this will accelerate my learning and also remove my reliance on transliteration. I wanted to get your views on this and also get your opinions on this book.

I actually purchased the book on one of my earlier trips on the way back. I was all emotional at the time leaving my teelak in the airport and wanted to take back a little piece of Thailand with me. Since however I've not touched the book so wanted to get your views on this learning approach and title.

Thai for beginners by Benjawan Poonsan

Thanks

There is no one "best" way to acquire a second language. Some people find it easiest to acquire the language through the written word, others through hearing it.

The Pimsleur approach has the merit of getting you to focus on the sound of the language without the distraction of the written word and, at least theoretically, should lead to better pronunciation. It's also said that since this is how babies learn it's more "natural" and so superior. (A very dubious claim in my opinion.) One real positive is that it gets you to a point where you can interact with native speakers much faster than if you start with learning to read/write. (Learning to read fluently takes many months of study.)

Anyway, when I was a schoolboy, for the first year I was taught French it was all listening and speaking - no writing at all. Similar to the Pimsleur approach. I made very little progress since I'm strongly a visual learner. Things improved dramatically in the second year when the classes included reading and writing.

Think about your learning style and just do whatever you feel works best for you.

Learn the script. Just do it. It's not very difficult, and the benefits are enormous. Learn it right away!

Yes, that book is great.

Totally agree. Learn your A, B, C's - gor gai, kor kai, khor khuad.

And do the exercises in Becker's book - practice how to write the letters. It's all useful stuff.

I don't think a lot of those books.

If you have a Thai friend, buy a Prathom 1 Thai book and work through it, then Prathom 2 etc.

I did that then used the AUA writing/reading book and did 1/2 an hour every day for a month.

Edited by Neeranam

Wellred,

First, define your goal or level in learning Thai. Then, ask yourself how many people you know who have achieved that goal using books and tapes. If you know several such people, then go right ahead.

My own goal is to become completely fluent in Thai so that I can have the kinds of conversations I have in English when speaking with Thais. That includes reading Thai books, writing Thai and understanding broadcasts. The number of people who have reached that level using books and tapes I would guess to be zero. So, I think the books and tapes are completely useless. Perhaps if you just want to be able to order in a restaurant they might have value. But for the serious study of Thai, not at all.

In my opinion.

• Like 1

Whilst books and tapes may not get you to the level of fluency where you can discuss politics, science, art and music etc.

If you currently speak no Thai whatsoever, then they are a good, accessible way to start.

It is also my goal to become fluent in Thai, I am now at the stage where I can read fairly well, converse quite well, and understand what is being said to me.

I am now broadening my vocabulary to include things that you might not find in the books and tapes described in this thread.

That doesn't mean they are completely useless, it just means that I have moved on a little.

I found Thai for beginners, and the Pimsleur recordings, an excellent starting point for me.

If you find it works for you, then use it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I am learning english and thai in the same time, and I think the first thing to learn is the alphabet and grammar ; for this, books are very good and enough

later, of course, you must practise to gain vocabulary and to understand the "turn" of the language ; reading is very important, ( for me, reading TV is very good )

I don't know what you mean by "speaking a language fluently "; for me, it means to speak and understand like a native: I think that to be fluent in a foreign language, you must be born with it;

otherwise, it's impossible : you can approach but you will never have the level of a native. Learning a foreign language is an endless work, and it's nice.

as for thai, I have learnt it ( long time ago ) with " the fundamentals of thai language ", not printed anymore, but still available on Internet. Exceptional book !

• Like 1

Ok I already downloaded the pimsleur series on my phone so will complete those and then start on the book.

The Pimsleur Method is excellent but Pimsleur Thai falls short. You'll quickly get phrases dripping off your tongue (it's quite amazing) but you'll have to relearn a few things.

I like the way they always repeat what was learnt in the previous lesson. But with any of this I think practice is key.

If the Pimsleur method is how you learn, with Gradint you can take an existing audio course and create your own version. I haven't done it yet (soon....) Or you can record your Thai lessons and plop them in.