Whose Stealing The Traffic Light Countdown Timers?

EBF

I've noted in the last few days that at two different intersections along the Superhighway that the countdown timers have all been removed. What else will I look at while waiting the two minutes for the lights to change green (and the extra few seconds before I can go due to red light runners)?

Well they are the most ridiculous idea that leads to either jumping lights or racing to get through

Maybe a falang just got appointed to the highways committee and is leading a common sense debate

Well they are the most ridiculous idea that leads to either jumping lights or racing to get through

Maybe a falang just got appointed to the highways committee and is leading a common sense debate

I think its safer with timers

..What..

I love the timers.. So you know you won't make a green light anyway, or

you know you have enough time to make it so no need to rush. They're

great!

Exactly.

• Like 2

indeed, because farang are so well remarked for their common sense, especially while here in Thailand.

god bless those silly thais, they are pretty darn cute, but they would be lost without us.

Just makes you wonder how the Thais managed to get anything done before so many of us arrived!

• Like 2

I love these countdows. Always gives me an opportunity to check my pulse rate. Resting pulse rate whilst waiting on the Super Highway this morning was 48 bpm. Unfortunately, the Mrs started to wind me up and I got somewhat annoyed. At the next traffic lights the BPM was up to 67.

During certain times of the day the timer shows just a red bar, did you see that, or was the whole thing removed?

Nope, completely removed. Even some wires from the aforementioned timers left on the posts. Specifically San Kamphaeng/Charoen Mueng and Superhighway intersection.

indeed, because farang are so well remarked for their common sense, especially while here in Thailand.

god bless those silly thais, they are pretty darn cute, but they would be lost without us.

Certainly seems like - at times... Service people never show up on time. Workers go to work late, etc. My stepkids won't do anything that doesn't have instant use - planning is not in their vocabulary.

During certain times of the day the timer shows just a red bar, did you see that, or was the whole thing removed?

Nope, completely removed. Even some wires from the aforementioned timers left on the posts. Specifically San Kamphaeng/Charoen Mueng and Superhighway intersection.

They were there today when I drove through heading south from MAKRO. Countdown is in the "amber" light.

I actually thought they were a novel idea when I first came to Thailand, they were everywhere in Phuket; but apart from racing to get through, and getting away 3 seconds before zero another couple of flaws you notice.

If you approach them and it reads 142 seconds as it inevitably does, look how many cars and bikes shoot off the left then 30m up the road hang there wanting to u-turn and continue with another left turn. not very sensible, I have done it myself several times albeit late at night when not much traffic.

The lights outside Robinsons Central; some incompetent designer only designed for 2 digits, so when they are are your usual 142 seconds wait, a red bar shows until the timer gets down to 99 and then it starts!! How annoying is that?

You have to ask yourself what is the reason for so many traffic accidents in the central box of a large traffic intersection,...well, you can ask yourself...if you want.

Personally I think the safest option is traditional 3 colour lights with at least 5 seconds after a red light before green kicks in.

Certainly seems like - at times... Service people never show up on time. Workers go to work late, etc. My stepkids won't do anything that doesn't have instant use - planning is not in their vocabulary.

too true, we are just better.