Thaksin Given Ultimatum To Resign Within 48 Hours

george

Caretaker PM given ultimatum to resign within 48 hours

post-128-1142978386_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave an ultimatum Tuesday evening that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns within 48 hours, or faces a decisive action to be ousted of office.

Sondhi Limthongkul, local media mogul turned arch critic against Mr. Thaksin, announced the ultimatum after a meeting of the PAD's core members.

"We'll give Mr. Thaksin this last chance to step down to pave the way for the country's second political reform. If he still insists to stay on, we'll take a further decisive action to oust him," he said.

Suriyasai Katasila, a coordinator of the Anti-Thaksin coalition, stressed that the PAD had a resolution to call for the embattled premier to step down within 48 hours.

“Unless Mr. Thaksin resign within 48 hours as demanded, we'll unveil a clear measure for a further major movement at 10:00 pm on March 23,” he said.

“For this moment, we'll assign a working group to gather opinions from academics and experienced persons toward ways to break the current political impasse so that they will be used to wrap up for a common approach in our next mass rally planned on March 25," he added.

Earlier, Maj. Gen. Chamlong, one of five core members of the PAD, invited members of the public to sign in a petition to be submitted to His Majesty the King, requesting the revered monarch to replace Mr. Thaksin with a new caretaker prime minister.

When rallying in Silom area and at the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Tuesday morning, the PAD's core members also invited members of the public to take part in the planned mass rally at Makhawan Bridge on March 25, from 02:00 p.m. onward, to show a strong people's power to force embattled Mr. Thaksin to resign.

Mr. Suriyasai conceded that Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuan raised the possibility of appealing for the royally appointed premier for discussion at the meeting. But it was not a main topic of the discussion.

He added that a proposal to move the anti-Thaksin demonstrators to Baan Chan Song La, a city residence of Mr. Thaksin, is also only a personal opinion of Maj. Gen Chamlong.

"We still stand firm to press for the resignation of Mr. Thaksin and the second political reform," he said.

The anti-Thaksin demonstrators plan to rally at the National Stadium here on Wednesday before moving to the headquarters of the Election Commission of Thailand (EC).

They have resorted to the new strategy of launching a roving campaign at many downtown areas since earlier this week to invite more people to join the PAD.

Meanwhile, a group of people calling themselves the "network of people who love peace", comprising of Bangkok residents and representatives of the private sector, demonstrated at the capital's downtown areas as well on Tuesday, calling for the anti-Thaksin groups to stop their rallies while inviting eligible voters to turn out for the early poll on April 2 to help determine the country's political direction within the democratic framework.

The network is a newly-formed one, separating from pro-Thaksin groups led by the "Caravan of the Poor", which have staged their rallies at Chatuchak Park and at some other areas in the city.

--TNA 2006-03-22

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key leaders call for royal intervention

Sondhi, Chamlong want HM the King to appoint new PM, say Thaksin has 48 hours to step down

BANGKOK: -- In a new round of attempts to oust defiant caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, two leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) called for the first time yesterday for a "royally-sponsored prime minister".

However, all five core leaders of the PAD met over the matter last night and decided to give Thaksin a final 48-hour ultimatum to step down - before taking a formal stance on such a demand.

"We have finally decided to give Prime Minister Thaksin 48 hours and within that 48 hours if Premier Thaksin has not stepped down to allow political reform to take place, we will come up with a measure that will be made known to the public," Sondhi Limthongkul told the anti-Thaksin demonstration last night.

During an early-morning rally of more than 10,000 protesters on Silom Road, Sondhi and Chamlong Srimuang, on a six-wheeled truck, urged passers-by, residents and office workers to join the PAD rally on Saturday (March 25).

They said the rally, to be held at the Makkhawan Bridge on Rajdamnoen Avenue, would be the people's "unanimous decision" to ask His Majesty the King to solve the political crisis by replacing Thaksin with his "own prime minister".

The rally organisers also asked the crowd to sign a petition supporting the idea of a royally-sponsored premier.

Other PAD leaders including Somsak Kosaisuk, Piphop Thong-chai and Somkiat Phongphaiboon did not respond.

Somsak said PAD's only goal at the moment was to oust Thaksin and they had not resolved how the post-Thaksin era should be.

The issue of "His Majesty's intervention", which Sondhi campaigned for during his anti-Thaksin talk shows, has been opposed by several key members of PAD because they do not want the return of the old days when the country was run by an absolute monarchy.

However, yesterday's campaign by Sondhi and Chamlong was the first call for royal intervention since the alliance launched its anti-Thaksin campaign early last month.

Earlier this month there were calls from academics, descendants of King Mongkut and King Chulalongkorn, senators and civic groups for His Majesty to appoint a prime minister to replace Thaksin.

But their petitions to His Majesty have not been answered.

Meanwhile, PAD spokesman Suriyasai Katasila did not confirm that protesters would go to Thaksin's home in Soi Charansanit-wong 69 to pressure him to make a "major decision".

The PAD rally yesterday went from Lumpini Park and down Silom Road to the Singapore Embassy.

When it passed the CP Tower, the headquarters of the CP Group, the Thai Rak Thai Party's key financial supporter, Sondhi told the crowd that the company's owner, Dhanin Chearavanont, conspired with Thaksin so his company could benefit from government contracts.

Shortly after the rally reached the Singapore embassy at about noon, the protesters sang the Thai national anthem in protest at Temasek Holdings' buyout of Shin.

Meanwhile, Thaksin cancelled trips to Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya and Angthong. He will reportedly preside over a TRT meeting today.

--The Nation 2006-03-22

It is only Thaksin himself or the elected members who can decide if the PM should resign or be deposed. The King of course also has that power.

Anybody else can only ask......not set deadlines

BANGKOK: -- Anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave an ultimatum Tuesday evening that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns within 48
Or what ?

Hold up traffic yet again, :o

BANGKOK: -- Anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave an ultimatum Tuesday evening that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns within 48

Or what ?

What a bunch of frustrated goofs...Whatever Thaksin did wrong, they're doing even worst for the country at this point...

Pathetic...

Edited by Miaow

What a bunch of frustrated goofs...Whatever Thaksin did wrong, they're doing even worst for the country at this point...

Pathetic...

This is just a little above mob rule, and as stated above, just a pathetic measure that subjects the country to world mockery.

Or what ?

Pathetic...

Is it my imagination, or is this Alliance for Democracy an anti-democratic alliance of those who have failed to be elected, or were thrown out for being corrupt. And of course the academics!

Key leaders call for royal intervention

Somsak said PAD's only goal at the moment was to oust Thaksin and they had not resolved how the post-Thaksin era should be.

--The Nation 2006-03-22

I think that just about says it all! Brain in neutral and no ideas. :o

Or what ?

Pathetic...

Afraid I cannot agree. These people could not in a million years do worse than Thaksin. As for being a goof (s) Thaksin is one of the biggest jokes to ever be visited on a country.

If you think these people are doing wrong please think back to the people in 1973, 1976 and 1992 who were influential in ridding the country of the monkeys then in power, the people now are doing their best to see that the wrongs of the past are not repeated adinfinitum.

To the people who are now pushing for Thaksins ouster we should all take our collective hats off to you.

What a turn around. Besides the usual sarcastic comments that you get on this board about Thailand and anything that anyone does is wrong, there is this idea that Thaksin now should stay? Surely a bunch of "goofs" numbering in the millions must have some complaint .... and I cant believe the person who mentioned the anti-demonstartors as corrupt (because Thaksin is such an angel), or the line about "academics" as if they are a problem!!

Thaksin has been using the country for his own benefit since day one. People are sick of it. The way Thailand works is that you need a mass showing against a leader as small groups or individuals get persecuted.

<american politics rant removed /admin >

I congratulate Thailand on reminding us that people do have a say in Democracy and when a leader does so much wrong he/she should be held responsible.

I agree democracy is about elections and if you can't win there then let's toss your opponent out on his ear. :o I'm afraid two more days will pass and the opposition will have progressed not an inch. A waste of time, shame they can't put the same effort in on constitutional reforms.

What a turn around. Besides the usual sarcastic comments that you get on this board about Thailand and anything that anyone does is wrong, there is this idea that Thaksin now should stay? Surely a bunch of "goofs" numbering in the millions must have some complaint .... and I cant believe the person who mentioned the anti-demonstartors as corrupt (because Thaksin is such an angel), or the line about "academics" as if they are a problem!!

Thaksin has been using the country for his own benefit since day one. People are sick of it. The way Thailand works is that you need a mass showing against a leader as small groups or individuals get persecuted.

I congratulate Thailand on reminding us that people do have a say in Democracy and when a leader does so much wrong he/she should be held responsible.

Thaksin surely isn't an angel, but these guys aren't really proving to be much different....What's on their agenda except that to create political turmoil? Wait your turn and get elected, they were democratically massively defeated in the previous elections, now what????

Again, i have to mentionned that i am not fond at all of

Thaksin, but these guys aren't impressing me either...

Pathetic...

This is just a little above mob rule, and as stated above, just a pathetic measure that subjects the country to world mockery.

In reality, outside of the region very few people if asked would have any idea about what is going on here.

In the international newspapers I have read where any kind of substantial space has been given to the issue, the protesters are actually cast in quite a positive light.

'People are sick of it'

Please rephrase as 'SOME people are sick of it'. The majority of voters (who matters) seem to say it is OK.

Let the voters decide if they want the opposition to lead Thailand.

Ultimatum and then what ?

The voters can't decide on the Opposition because the major Opposition has failed to field any candidates, or boycotted the election, same difference, and handed the election to the TRT. They planned on outside intervention as in the past and none has come and probably none ever will this time. Now they have themselves backed into a corner since the Constitutional Court, more or less, told the EC to sort out the election problems on their own and the EC is probably going to reopen nominations in constituency 3. The polls that were released today in the Nation are not in their favor and that was a poll of the BKK area.

Ultimatum and then what ? Probably another ultimatum.

The voters can't decide on the Opposition because the major Opposition has failed to field any candidates, or boycotted the election, same difference, and handed the election to the TRT. They planned on outside intervention as in the past and none has come and probably none ever will this time. Now they have themselves backed into a corner since the Constitutional Court, more or less, told the EC to sort out the election problems on their own and the EC is probably going to reopen nominations in constituency 3. The polls that were released today in the Nation are not in their favor and that was a poll of the BKK area.

Ultimatum and then what ? Probably another ultimatum.

If the movement against Thaksin is so strong as most on this forum seems to believe, the voters could also boycot the voting where only Thaksin' men are registerred. This would lead to a re-election where hopefully the opposition would then feel stronger to participate.

In reality, outside of the region very few people if asked would have any idea about what is going on here.

In the international newspapers I have read where any kind of substantial space has been given to the issue, the protesters are actually cast in quite a positive light.

this is true, but Thaksin himself was given a pretty

good casting also. the week after the Shin Corp

sale to Temesak was announced, The Economist

took the Thaksin line hook, line, and sinker that

the sale would remove the conflict of interest

issues over-hanging him, blah, blah. It was about

two weeks before they wrote of the uproar surronding

that was generated, re: tax-free transation, shady

share transactions, charges of corruption, etc. I don't

think either side got any real in-depth coverage of

the issues.

If the movement against Thaksin is so strong as most on this forum seems to believe, the voters could also boycot the voting where only Thaksin' men are registerred. This would lead to a re-election where hopefully the opposition would then feel stronger to participate.

The provision in the constitution is for a by-election if a seat is not filled within 45 days, not a total re-election. It may take many months to sort out but if the TRT wins 251 seats they will form the next government once the vacant seats have been filled or possibly the constitutional court may rule on the house sitting with less than 500 members, who knows, not us. I would also like to see the Opposition parties soften their stance and run in any by-elections after April 2, as I would hate to see a house with only TRT seats.

Out of respect for our hosts and the fact that we are mere visitors to this country, I will keep my comments to myself.

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

What a lot of people seem to forget (rather quickly) is that the protests are not about changing the party in power - they are about removing Thaksin from its leadership.

Perhaps the electoral boycott is meant to reinforce that by guaranteeing TRT returns to power, hopefully without TS?

On Monday night there was a pro-Thaksin rally at Thapae Gate in Chiangmai with banners all along the East Moat for days beforehand - when I went past around 8:30pm, there was a platform speaker, some banners and about a dozen supporters watched by a couple of dozen bemused farang tourists - hardly an overwhelming support in his home city is it?

I can't help wondering if TRT themselves would oust Cheerless Leader if the opposition parties were to properly contest the election, as the primary election issue would then be focussed not around party politics, but around "Thaksin or someone (anyone) else", which would allow a very good chance of TRT losing power.

Out of respect for our hosts and the fact that we are mere visitors to this country, I will keep my comments to myself.

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

He is well prepared to get deported and banned from entering thailand again. Hopefully, he is not one of our member.

I'm behind the protesters - just wish they had some bright new policies to offer. How about a 29 baht hospital visit (instead of 30 baht) - or 1,000,010 baht for each tambon that sides with their political party (instead of 1,000,000 baht). Seriously though, none of the political parties has made a mention of environmental issues or shown any seriousness about stopping corruption. Ok, make a lot of noise about how bad CPM Thaksin is, but offer uplifting alternatives for the little people - so they can have hopes of getting something better than Thanksin and his TRT thugs.