Thaksin Given Ultimatum To Resign Within 48 Hours

george

CNN and BBC cobverage of the Rallies has been pretty sparse.

Seems that if they move the demonstrations into the major business/shopping districts that it may not be long before the Governments of other countries start suggesting that people avoid the rallies specifically in the shopping districts and then the International press will cover it more.

Rubbish.

The international media doesn't cover the demonstrations much because the French demonstrations are far closer to home and get therefore far more space. Advertisement quotes don't exactly go up much by reporting on some completely uneventful third world shithole demonstrations that go on and on and on without making any difference or impression.

Get more than a few people slaughtered and the international media will cover it, but only if not somewhere more important to the west something happens.

Demonstrating at some department store in Bangkok will only be seen as another episode of a childish Thai soap opera not worth mentioning.

Nice ....... :o

Really though ... kinda a sad commentary on the way you think. :D

I sure hope that things stay calm like they have and no one gets hurt along the way. There has been some press from CNN ... as recently as yesterday. Not to mention Thaksin granting them an interview and actually getting a few decent questions lobbed his way.

Yes the violence and unruly demonstrations get more press ... I hope that's not what you are hoping for here, and that instead your remarks were meant more as a personal rebuke for me!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there were a lot more than 100,000 people at the demonstration on 25th. But does the actual number matter once you've got a group of people large enough to attract the attention of the media?

The fact is there is going to be an election. A lot of people have had enough of Thaksin. But there is no oponent with vision and foresight enough to properly govern the country. What are the policies for reform? Where is the rising political star of Thai politics?

Thaksin was a wealthy man before entering politics and he will remain wealthy afterwards. In fact, if he were to leave politics to concentrate on his business ventures he would probably be even wealthier. Men of his calibre don't need to be in politics to further their own business ventures. In fact, they prefer a lower profile so as to not draw attention to their personal business deals.

It looks to me like the crew is trying to get the captain to walk the plank. But then, the ship is in danger of being lost with all hands ....

Animal farm: after the pigs ousted the humans all the animals were happy ... but the pigs still sent the horse to the knackery .....

:o

Nice ....... :o

Really though ... kinda a sad commentary on the way you think. :D

I sure hope that things stay calm like they have and no one gets hurt along the way. There has been some press from CNN ... as recently as yesterday. Not to mention Thaksin granting them an interview and actually getting a few decent questions lobbed his way.

Yes the violence and unruly demonstrations get more press ... I hope that's not what you are hoping for here, and that instead your remarks were meant more as a personal rebuke for me!

Not even a rebuke.

Just an honest albeit slightly cynical comment on the rather sad state of affairs of the fourth estate.

What i hope for is the impossible - a responsible government. But that seems to be an anachronism.

There has been some press from CNN ... as recently as yesterday.

There may have been some coverage on CNN in Asia but I have CNN Atlanta on all day in my office and there has only been one blurb on a ticker in a month " Thailand's PM Thaksin has called a general election for April2." That's not some coverage it's NO coverage. The newspapers are no better I read one small article about the election that was on about the 20th page of the Vancouver Sun and the other papers have had nothing. The Thai election is a non issue for the rest of the world, they really just are not interested.

I wasn't there. Actually I don't know anyone who went to PAD rallies - everybody who's got kids won't risk going there, there's no place to park and taxis do not take people to protest against Thaksin.

What?!

Why do you always come up with complete inventions? Where do you get this misinformation from?

I was many times observing those rallies, and i always take taxis to them and back home. So far not one single problem.

I have met actually many taxi drivers who are sort of glad to take advantage of these rallies as they are garanteed fares at night from people going home. I always make a point on asking their opinion, some were pro Thaksin, a few against Thaksin, but most did neither care any way, or disliked both sides.