Thaksin Given Ultimatum To Resign Within 48 Hours

george

I wonder how many anti-taksin supporters on this thread have been in thailand long enough to remember the last time thailand had a democrat leader.

The results weren't pretty.

The opposition have nobody can that do his job as effectively as he does, nobody that can even come close. I don't believe there is even someone in the TRT party that can do his job as effectively as what he has done.

Tax schemes, electoral fraud, corruption. These are all part of thai politics, they aren't going to change.

Time to face it. Deadlines mean nothing. The real result will happen on the 2nd of April. :o

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only Thaksin himself or the elected members who can decide if the PM should resign or be deposed. The King of course also has that power.

Anybody else can only ask......not set deadlines

===========================================================

Yep; Mr. Krub; I do believe you are correct.

I only just hope they leave HM the King nicely out of it; the King doesn't really need this kind of pressure at this juncture in his life. I find it utterly disgraceful that either party even dares to mention his name (inferring his involvement).

[incidentally; the King was first "involved" when our great "Leader" suggested some time ago, that the only person who could make him give-up his political (very lucrative) career, would be the King himself] - in my opinion a real daft and totally un-respectfull move on Taksin's part]

Just hypothetically speaking: IF this great Leader would only allow himself another 48 hours; he would still be able to 'pick-up' an nice multi-million Baht "departure-bonus" in the process; don't doubt it for a minute !

The problem is, that he has been stealing, swindling etc., so much for so long, that IF he became a "normal citizen again, he realizes ###### well that the investigations against him can be legally commenced. THAT is on of the two (2) reasons why he will not voluntarilly step down. The other reason is, guess what: his incredible arrogance.

:o

Chock-Dee-Krahp

I think it is Sad that the Protesters can not have Faith in the Electorial Process. But I also believe that The Republicans bring this kind of thing upon themselves by operating in such Deceptive ways, which breeds mistrust among the people. And Republicans are not just acting that way in Thailand, they do it all over the World. It is their idea that they think they are better than everyone else, therefore they think it is okay to Manipulate the System to Force THEIR Beliefs on everyone, and use the System for their own personal gain.

People are not stupid, even though many Republicans THINK they are. People can only Stomach so much of the Republican Oppression, before they finally get fed up, and lose faith in the System. Then many people come to the Conclusion that the only thing Republicans can understand is Violence or Public Revolts. It is the actions of the Republicans that creates the Mobs. But the Republicans refuse to admit any Guilt EVER. This is why the people believe that their only course of Action is to Revolt against the System.

If the Republicans weren't doing anything wrong, then they would not create such Emotions in the people.

I feel like these Protesters are Very Brave Freedom Fighters, and I Salute them, and wish them the Best of Luck in their Efforts. And let this be a lesson to all the Republicans around the World, if you think the people are going to sit down, and shut up, and act like your Stupid little Pawns, as you Destroy their Freedoms, and try to control them, and take away every bit of Happiness they have, just so you can feel like you are Forcing them and Controling them to live as YOU Believe, then you will find out just how wrong you are.

Freedom is greater than Oppression,

and there are many in this world who don't understand the Difference in those two words.

The Protesters DO.

If Toxin goes and TRT falls apart and gets kicked out of power they only have themselves to blame.

That's true. So who would you suggest could actually run the country? The point is there really is no choice for a viable alternative. All the opposition has shown it's not capable, PAD leaders like Sondhi are a joke. It's one thing to criticize it's completely another to govern.

The system stinks and is full of holes but it's the Thai system and the majority of Thais don't really give a hoot, they are too busy trying to earn a living to feed their families. It's the ones that are more well off the middle class that want a change. We'll see on April 2 who the majority of Thai's support.

Webninja, there's no Republican party in Thailand, what are you on about?

I wonder how many anti-taksin supporters on this thread have been in thailand long enough to remember the last time thailand had a democrat leader.

Last democratically elected leader or last Democrat leader?

What was so bad about Chuan's rule? He picked up the country devastated by 1997 crisis, guided it through IMF reforms, and lifted it up to 4% growth in three years. That's not a small achievement.

Politically Taksin's rule is a huge step back from Democrat led government.

TRT being effective? Look at the mega-projects mess, and that's his showcase.

Edited by Plus

If Toxin goes and TRT falls apart and gets kicked out of power they only have themselves to blame.

That's true. So who would you suggest could actually run the country? The point is there really is no choice for a viable alternative. All the opposition has shown it's not capable, PAD leaders like Sondhi are a joke. It's one thing to criticize it's completely another to govern.

The system stinks and is full of holes but it's the Thai system and the majority of Thais don't really give a hoot, they are too busy trying to earn a living to feed their families. It's the ones that are more well off the middle class that want a change. We'll see on April 2 who the majority of Thai's support.

Good point. The majority who need to work for a living do not feel Thaksin is preventing them form feeding their families. if they did the demos would be real and real ugly.

It is some part of the well off middle class and some disgruntled business tycoons who have time to sit around days after days and give deadline after deadline without any concrete alternatives but a big vacuum.

Edited by Krub

Last democratically elected leader or last Democrat leader?

What was so bad about Chuan's rule? He picked up the country devastated by 1997 crisis, guided it through IMF reforms, and lifted it up to 4% growth in three years. That's not a small achievement.

Politically Taksin's rule is a huge step back from Democrat led government.

TRT being effective? Look at the mega-projects mess, and that's his showcase.

this argument that there is nobody more qualified than Thaksin to run things surfaces here at least once a week, if not on a daily basis. But, put someone's feet to the fire and nobody can really come up with anything of lasting consequence (the 30 baht medical scheme is in financial straights, OTOP was pretty much repackaging up existing rural businesses with no clear net benefit, no major transportation projects started last 5 years - few finished, gdp growth at 5% pre-thaksin, now projected to be sub-5% this year, etc.). The only thing Thaksin appears to been proficient on is lining his own pockets.

i don't think anyone ever said that Sondhi or Chamlong are positioning themselves for PM. those guys are not clearly suited for the job. They are suited for calling Thaksin to task on what has happened under his tenure. The erosion of the democratic institutions that occured under Thaksins tenure is the primary reason Thailand might be in need of someone of a dictatorial stature to take the helm now - not because Thailand should have someone like Thaksin to begin with.

Edited by dan10400

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

Imagine if on the news in the UK you made a comment like that because you saw a black person present at a political demonstration.

Let people decide who should lead the country. Taksin's has broken Constitutional rules and shoud be banned from politics, not stand the elections.

Good point Plus, the problem they are facing is still one more, the majority is not aware about this, I am referring to the people from the provinces, the poor peasants and the old ones...I am sure they don't have a clue about what Taksin is doing, I am sure they don't know the man even owns a private satellite (I am sure that most of them don't even know what a satellte is)...what I mean is that the masses will not care about who the PM will be :o

Edited by alexth

We all have a vested interest in this country, or at least those that live here and/or have families here. Just because i don't have citizenship doesn't mean i don't have an interest.

My wife is an ardent Thaksin supporter and i'm not. However, she can't remember Sonthi or Chamlong saying they want to be PM. There are many able administrators in Thailand, just because they aren't famous doesn't make them invisible to many of us who have to deal with them or have them as friends.

For evil to flourish it requires only that the good do nothing. :o

Let people decide who should lead the country. Taksin's has broken Constitutional rules and shoud be banned from politics, not stand the elections.

I almost always agree with your posts, but I am confused on your logic here.

I don't have any problem, and agree with the part on letting the people decide who should lead the country. They are the ones who will decide by what they do or not do April 2nd. However, by the same token, shouldn't we allow those same people decide who and where they should get inputs from? To tell some other farang to sit down and shut up, because we are 'guests' here is in essence a form of self-censure. If the Thai people don't want to listen to the guy, I am sure they will tell him.

I have been to a few of these demonstrations as an observer because I find it interesting. However, I don't find it prudent to take a 'public' position one way or another. Primarily for saftey concerns.

48-hour ultimatum for Thaksin to resign

549000004531501.JPEG

More than 10,000 people marched along Silom Road yesterday to encourage business people to join the protests by the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Leaders of the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) last night gave caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra 48 hours to resign or face more drastic pressure.

The latest ultimatum, announced at the main protest site near Government House shortly before 10pm yesterday, came after what was described as a successful march through Bangkok’s main business district along Silom Road in the morning.

“We will give Thaksin until Thursday night to resign,” key protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul told a cheering crowd at the Makhawan bridge rally. If Thaksin fails to do so, Sondhi declared, PAD together with all other allies will mete out more drastic measures.

Meanwhile, PAD will continue organizing more marches throughout the week. PAD leaders said the week will end with a dramatic last act on Saturday night, but declined to be more specific.

Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, a leading member of PAD, proposed that Saturday’s demonstration be held outside Thaksin’s Chansonglar residence. This plan, however, has yet to gain the full support of the alliance’s four other main leaders.

“It remains Maj-Gen Chamlong’s personal opinion and PAD will announce later what Saturday’s activities will be,” said Suriyasai Katasila, a founding member of the anti-Thaksin coalition.

Suriyasai also yesterday denied that PAD was pushing for a royally appointed government to replace Thaksin. “Those who set up tables asking for people to sign a petition to demand a royally appointed government are not part of PAD,” Suriyasai said. “It is the action of another group that is taking advantage of the situation.”

According to Suriyasai, PAD leaders have never officially discussed seeking a royally appointed government or calling on HM the King to intervene in the crisis by exercising the powers granted him under Article 7 of the Constitution. He would not, however, rule out calling for royal intervention in the future.

The group has described its series of marches and rallies as a “guerilla war” against the caretaker government. Another protest will be held this morning as demonstrators march from the National Stadium on Rama I Road to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Yesterday’s march began at 9am and was led by Sondhi and Maj-Gen Chamlong. As PAD was organizing demonstrators, an unknown group of people set up tables nearby to gather signatures in support of a royally appointed government.

The march along Silom and Sathon roads drew more than 10,000 people and was aimed at gaining support from urban middle-class businesspeople.

In orderly files, demonstrators held strongly worded banners and colorful flags and chanted “Thaksin Get Out.”

Police closed Silom Road to traffic from Rama IV Road to the Narathiwat Ratchanakarin intersection. PAD stopped in front of the Charoen Phokpand (CP) headquarters at the corner of Convent Road and rallied there for about half an hour.

Speaking from atop a truck, Sondhi criticized CP chairman Dhanin Chearavanont for aiding and benefiting from several allegedly corrupt government schemes. He also urged businessmen to join PAD’s fight to oust Thaksin.

White-collar workers and business owners along the route came out from their offices to watch the march. “I know that Thaksin is immensely corrupt and I do not like him either,” said a CP marketing officer, who requested anonymity.

“But please understand that we do not like our work to be disrupted or to be stuck in traffic for two hours.”

Security at CP Towers yesterday was significantly tightened. The march then moved to Sathon Road as the protestors approached the Singaporean embassy. Outside the embassy demonstrators sang the national anthem.

Meanwhile, a defiant Thaksin dismissed the significance of PAD’s continuing demonstrations and Maj-Gen Chamlong’s threat to march to his house on Saturday. “No problem, they can do what they like,” he said.

Source: ThaiDay - 22 Mar 2006

Dan10400, I don't understand what you particularly disagree with?

Yes, people should be able to decide where to get "inputs" from. Right now they are denied the right to information, or at least until very few days ago they had no chance of accessing information about PAD's activites, for example.

And I said that shouting "Taksin Awk Pai" better be not done publicly.

The 48 hours ultimatum' may be because voting in advance begins this Saturday and then it becomes unconditional to stop the election.

I wondered about the PAD's wish to see 1 million protestors coming on Saturday, adding the figures who'd attended their rallies they came to the conclusion if they all came at once they would total over 1 million. But of course it's often the same people attending!

For anyone who has attended the rallies, watched ASTV or listened on the radio, the rallies have been full of debate over policies, apart from accounts of misdeeds of the government. Usually the only time most Thais have access to this is in a government censure debate, in the past under the Chuan, Chavalit and Banharn governments discussion programmes were prevalent on TV and the radio. Thaksin silenced them all.

I think some posters maybe confusing PAD with the previous Parliamentary Opposition; Jamlong, Sonti, Somsak,etc have no intention of becoming MPs, they'd rather be in civic groups, more freedom and autonomy.

I'm looking forward to the Democrats rally on Friday, it will be interesting to hear their thoughts.

Dan10400, I don't understand what you particularly disagree with?

Yes, people should be able to decide where to get "inputs" from. Right now they are denied the right to information, or at least until very few days ago they had no chance of accessing information about PAD's activites, for example.

And I said that shouting "Taksin Awk Pai" better be not done publicly.

I think were on the same page about the 'public' bit. There is nothing that I am aware of that legally prevents public demonstration by non-Thais, but it sure isn't a smart idea considering the level of emotions that are running on this particular subject.

However, when you made the comment "Let people decide who should lead the country." I may have misinterpreted its meaning as it was in the subthread regarding "farangs should be seen and not heard".

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

Imagine if on the news in the UK you made a comment like that because you saw a black person present at a political demonstration.

Firstly you wouldn't make a statement like that as it would be..."Politically incorrect" and you have every nationality at demonstrations/rallies in the UK anyway. They could be nationals or they could be tourists, nobody seems to mind.

However, many of the foriegners here, have just as much right to attend a rally if they so desire, as Thai nationals do. They live here, work. invest capital, employ Thai staff AND pay taxes, and in my opinion have every right to be interested in the politics of the day, as it directly affects their way of life.

BANGKOK: -- Anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave an ultimatum Tuesday evening that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns within 48

Or what ?

Hold up traffic yet again, :o

What a bunch of frustrated goofs...Whatever Thaksin did wrong, they're doing even worst for the country at this point...

Pathetic...

Afraid I cannot agree. These people could not in a million years do worse than Thaksin. As for being a goof (s) Thaksin is one of the biggest jokes to ever be visited on a country.

If you think these people are doing wrong please think back to the people in 1973, 1976 and 1992 who were influential in ridding the country of the monkeys then in power, the people now are doing their best to see that the wrongs of the past are not repeated adinfinitum.

To the people who are now pushing for Thaksins ouster we should all take our collective hats off to you.

Not true, these are the very same people, Banharn, Sanan, Sanoh, who bankrupted the Country in 1997 causing the collapse of the Baht. Billions of Baht were squandered by these MPs and the Country had to be rescued by the IMF. Thanksin took over and soon paid off the IMF loan and put Thailand back on it's feet. Now the Economy is doing very well, and Thanksin was voted back in with an overwhelming DEMOCRATIC VOTE.

Now Corrupt Politicians in their parties are desperate to get hold of the undertable money from the many Mega-Projects that TRT have soon to award. How can a minority MOB paid for by the smaller oppostion parties be allowed to unseat a properly elected Prime Minister. If a Minority Mob who takes to the street is allowed to remove a Prime Minster elected by the Majority, then Democracy will be dead in Thailand. Thaksin is doing the right thing in putting it to the vote on April 2nd, Let all the People Decide, Thailand should not be ruled by the mob.

48-hour ultimatum for Thaksin to resign

549000004531501.JPEG

More than 10,000 people marched along Silom Road yesterday to encourage business people to join the protests by the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Source: ThaiDay - 22 Mar 2006

the picture looks doctored.

i was in the area that morning and hardly saw a crowd.

i wonder who owns Thaiday. :o

The Thai election is all very interesting. Thaksin Shinawatra has, like most leaders, enacted some positive plans and some negative, even damaging plans.

The upcoming election should be allowed to go ahead, but only after the somewhat 'weakened' Electoral Commission has sorted out the mess caused by opposition parties withdrawing from the registration process. It is a complete 'cop out' for the Constitutional Court to fail in their duty to rule on some of the electoral issues now facing the country.

If the election goes ahead in its current form, there will be plenty of well-educated Bangkokians who will be deeply unhappy (as will those from the South of Thailand), at the prospect of a further term with Thaksin at the helm.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the Democrat leader, Abphsit (I believe), few other politicians can truly stand up and be counted for their 'transparency' when it comes to 'familiar political habits' like nepotism, cronyism, bribery, corruption, favouritism and other 'unfair' and 'illegal' activities.

I continue to watch with interest, and hope that violence, from whatever quarter (recall the 'mentally handicapped' man at the Erawan Shrine, and his lynching?) is avoided at all costs.

Laulen

BANGKOK: -- Anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave an ultimatum Tuesday evening that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns within 48

Or what ?

Hold up traffic yet again, :o

What a bunch of frustrated goofs...Whatever Thaksin did wrong, they're doing even worst for the country at this point...

Pathetic...

Afraid I cannot agree. These people could not in a million years do worse than Thaksin. As for being a goof (s) Thaksin is one of the biggest jokes to ever be visited on a country.

If you think these people are doing wrong please think back to the people in 1973, 1976 and 1992 who were influential in ridding the country of the monkeys then in power, the people now are doing their best to see that the wrongs of the past are not repeated adinfinitum.

To the people who are now pushing for Thaksins ouster we should all take our collective hats off to you.

Not true, these are the very same people, Banharn, Sanan, Sanoh, who bankrupted the Country in 1997 causing the collapse of the Baht. Billions of Baht were squandered by these MPs and the Country had to be rescued by the IMF. Thanksin took over and soon paid off the IMF loan and put Thailand back on it's feet. Now the Economy is doing very well, and Thanksin was voted back in with an overwhelming DEMOCRATIC VOTE.

Now Corrupt Politicians in their parties are desperate to get hold of the undertable money from the many Mega-Projects that TRT have soon to award. How can a minority MOB paid for by the smaller oppostion parties be allowed to unseat a properly elected Prime Minister. If a Minority Mob who takes to the street is allowed to remove a Prime Minster elected by the Majority, then Democracy will be dead in Thailand. Thaksin is doing the right thing in putting it to the vote on April 2nd, Let all the People Decide, Thailand should not be ruled by the mob.

What ya smokin? :D

Sorry Chavalit was the PM and Thaksin was the Deputy PM when the baht was floated. They both survived the mess by buying dollars just before 2 July 1997 crash. Then Chuan paid most of the IMF back. Thaksin just sent the last cheque and got the credit. :D

The Thai election is all very interesting. Thaksin Shinawatra has, like most leaders, enacted some positive plans and some negative, even damaging plans.

The upcoming election should be allowed to go ahead, but only after the somewhat 'weakened' Electoral Commission has sorted out the mess caused by opposition parties withdrawing from the registration process. It is a complete 'cop out' for the Constitutional Court to fail in their duty to rule on some of the electoral issues now facing the country.

If the election goes ahead in its current form, there will be plenty of well-educated Bangkokians who will be deeply unhappy (as will those from the South of Thailand), at the prospect of a further term with Thaksin at the helm.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the Democrat leader, Abphsit (I believe), few other politicians can truly stand up and be counted for their 'transparency' when it comes to 'familiar political habits' like nepotism, cronyism, bribery, corruption, favouritism and other 'unfair' and 'illegal' activities.

I continue to watch with interest, and hope that violence, from whatever quarter (recall the 'mentally handicapped' man at the Erawan Shrine, and his lynching?) is avoided at all costs.

Laulen

The Opposition has done a great job with discrediting the upcoming elections in the most simple way ..... Hard to claim to be a Democracy in reality when it's devolved into a one party system by relying on populist promises and making sure that minority opinions have no voice.

Edited by jdinasia

The protesters aren't trying to run the country they just don't want to be represented by a corrupt dictatorlike leader. Thailand is suppose to have freedom. Thaksin is suppressing that freedom by controlling the media. Let the demonstartions get out live on the airwaves on Channel 3,7,9,11, and ITV and its over for Thaksin right now. That won't happen so the chaneg is going to take time.

In addition...

It's easy to see that the TRT is a collection of weak individuals led by a megalomaniac. The only strong TRT members have left to join the protestors. It's easy stay in line and follow your leader but it takes something special to go against that leader when he or she is wrong.

Gosh, what would the TRT do without Thaksin?

Thaksin is going. His only option is to use violence to suppress all the people in the country. Dictatorship.

And if Pm Thaksin doesnt go, and is supported by the vast majority of the people who elected then what? Few just as corrupt people are gunning for him, plain/simple - can't prove their allegations, so this is the sad result of their efforts.

And if anyone thinks the HRM will get involved they are mental. This is a political matter and the great King is above all this and should be.

Thai army cautious on deployment against anti-Thaksin

protestors as tension grows

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Political tensions were on the

boil again Wednesday, as anti-government demonstrators gave

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra a deadline to resign, and

the Thai leader consulted with the country's army chief on

how to contain a big protest rally scheduled for the

weekend. Leaders of the movement seeking Thaksin's

resignation for alleged corruption and abuse of power have

said that unless he steps down by Thursday night, they will

escalate their campaign against him. The prime minister on

Wednesday met with Army Commander Gen. Sondhi

Boonyaratkalin to discuss crowd control plans for the

rally. «As the army chief controlling the troops, I

informed the prime minister about how they would be

deployed,» Sondhi told reporters. «I told the prime

minister that it is not good for the army to step forward

too quickly. It would be damaging for the government,» he

said.Thaksin would be required to declare an official state

of emergency before the military could be used to contain

civil unrest. He has said that he is ready to do so if the

situation turns violent.

221342 mar 06GMT

Just be careful if you're in BNK during the next few weeks. A kind of March Madness in infecting many inhabitants...such as the poor mentally ill man who took a hammer to the Erawan Buddha and was killed by a mob whose reasoning seems to be that if you hammer a statue of the Buddha the Buddha would want us to hammer you to death. I do remember 1992...and my Kiwi friend, Ian, was shot and killed by plain clothes police and soldiers a few minutes after Suchinda's goons picked Chamlong off the street. There is a very good chance of violence anywhere there is a crowd. Be careful my thaivisa.com friends.

Edited by tomchaam

And if Pm Thaksin doesnt go, and is supported by the vast majority of the people who elected then what? Few just as corrupt people are gunning for him, plain/simple - can't prove their allegations, so this is the sad result of their efforts.

And if anyone thinks the HRM will get involved they are mental. This is a political matter and the great King is above all this and should be.

The vast majority of people voted for Thai Rak Thai, not Thai Rak Thaksin. The vast majority may even have only voted for TRT because they paid more money for their votes.

Let's remember that Thailand doesn't have a President, therefore the election in theory is based on party politics, not a popularity poll. If Thaksin is ousted as Prime Minister, then Thai Rak Thai should remain in control until the Democrats force their way back to the top.