Thaksin Given Ultimatum To Resign Within 48 Hours

george

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brit and others online now, did any of you even think to respond to what I asked before? Don't you understand a protest, with music and poems and love ......................... think about our own countries and protest marches..........

Naught wrong w/protesting and that is something that should be admired. Unfortunately worst bit about the whole affaire is constant slagging off towards each other, but thats politics I suppose. :o

Out of respect for our hosts and the fact that we are mere visitors to this country, I will keep my comments to myself.

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

Could be me and you may see me again, get used to it.

Why have I no business there when my Thai wife asks for me to be with her and says I have every right to be there. SOME people looked at me and I simply smiled back as I've learned to do in Thailand and never one second felt unwanted there when they smiled back. People shared their plastic sheets to sit and food with us. One thing though, whenever everyone was shouting OK PAI! I did not. When asked why by my wife, I explained that by respect, I'd shout as well only if I was allowed to vote ( That'll be he dayyyy- Buddy Holly).

If Thaksin resigns, TRT will be a very different animal. The first and foremost task of the new parlament would be Constitution Reforms, and with Thaksin out of the picture there's a chance that the reform panel will do it's job independently. Then there will be no more 90 day rule and MPs will quickly re-allign themselves.

But it's too far in the future to speculate.

Headless chicken with a bad limp. :o

Damaging verdict hits ruling party where it hurts

The ruling was not unexpected. But the Supreme Administrative Court has shocked the Thai Rak Thai Party with surprisingly strong, hard-hitting reasons why the planned privatisation of the Egat Plc must be stopped.

Buoyed by the court's verdict, opponents of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra intensified their calls for his resignation yesterday, saying the ruling confirmed their charges that he is not morally fit to continue ruling Thailand.

Apart from dealing a major blow to one of the Thaksin government's major economic schemes, the much-anticipated ruling dwelled on what critics believe are serious flaws of the administration - such as conflicts of interest, the tendency to ignore public voices in key national matters and alleged cronyism.

It was the grounds for the verdict, not the verdict itself, that sent the ruling party reeling. Thai Rak Thai insiders admitted the timing of the setback was particularly bad for the embattled prime minister, who is facing massive protests for alleged "policy corruption". The mention of Olarn Chaipravat in the court statement hammered home what the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the organisers of the sit-in demonstration at Government House, has been trying to tell the public.

"The court hit where it hurts," said a Thai Rak Thai source. While the pre-verdict attention was centred on the pros and cons of the Egat privatisation, the court has sharpened the focus of the issue on the intriguing triangle of Olarn, Shin Corp and Egat.

Reaction from Thaksin, who said the government would need to go through the points that made the court suspicious of the scheme, sounded lame given the severe punches from the court.

Olarn's connection with Shin Corp and his involvement in the legal preparation for Egat's privatisation, enhanced the PAD's claims that cronyism is a big part of the Thaksin government. The court used this to doom the Egat scheme and gave the government virtually no chance to defend the privatisation process.

"The Egat listing plan has been the government's important policy all along, so when a mistake this big was allowed to happen, the prime minister must resign," said Chamlong Srimuang, PAD leader and Thaksin's friend-turned-foe.

PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul last night called on Thaksin to take responsibility for submitting flawed laws for His Majesty the King to endorse.

Democrat Kiat Sithi-amorn described the verdict as historic, as it touched on the issue of conflict of interest for the first time.

"The court has given us hope that we still have one agency that is accountable and reliable," he said. "But other so-called independent bodies in our system of checks and balances have to take a look at themselves in the mirror."

Media reform activist Supinya Klangnarong, who won another historic legal battle with Shin Corp for her right to speak against its alleged profiteering from government policies, also declared this was a "big slap" in the face to the Thaksin administration.

"The government has been insisting it did everything the right way. This is a big slap in its face," she said.

A floodgate of lawsuits will open, she warned, citing other policies that smack of conflict of interests such as free-trade agreements with certain countries.

"The verdict is the people's victory and it will inspire more lawsuits," she said. "If the prime minister still wants to be in office, he'd better prepared for a cascade of lawsuits."

- TN

Out of respect for our hosts and the fact that we are mere visitors to this country, I will keep my comments to myself.

However, I must state that I strongly oppose to the one farang that I saw present (on television) at the political demonstration and feel that he is out of line for even being there.

Why? Are you saying that only Thai's should be allowed to demonstrate?

There are many farang living and working in Thailand, helping to support the Thai economy, bringing money and experience to Thailand, supporting their Thai husbands/wives, family, friends and communities. Many also have Thai children, whose lives may be affected by the political decisions made in the present. Granted, we may just be 'farang' here, aren't really 'valued' much, and aren't eligible to vote ourselves, but I still think we should be allowed to represent and discuss our opinions and views amongst the voting Thais if we wish to.

Personally, I haven't had time to follow this story in detail, so I don't profess to have an informed opinion, but from what I can gather from my Thai friends, the news, the odd taxi-driver and the posts on this forum, it seems that this is a crap state of affairs. Not one party with a candidate worth voting for. Looks like there'll be months more bickering, and still no sign (yet?) of a decent party/candidate likely to actually use a position of power for the good of the Thai people instead of for their own personal gain. Is there really no-one in Thailand that can do the job without being corrupted by the power and the money?

Also how do you know that the farang is not a Thai national, born and raised in Thailand? or maybe has residency here and can vote? Never judge a book by its cover mouse.

Noodles.

Chavalit said to have urged PM to resign

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra should resign, take a political break, and postpone the election to end the current political crisis, his adviser Chavalit Yongchaiyudh is reported to have told him.

One of the leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who asked not to be named, said Chamlong Srimuang had informed a PAD meeting yesterday that former prime minister Chavalit had met Thaksin on Wednesday and advised him to resign.

At the meeting, Thaksin hesitated but said he would consider the suggestion and would give Chavalit an answer later, the PAD leader said, adding that Chavalit had already told Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda of his meeting with Thaksin.

Appearing to be in a good mood, Thaksin laughed off rumours suggesting he had written a resignation letter at Government House yesterday morning and declined to comment further.

"The current political situation will gradually ease now, despite the PAD's deadline tonight. Some of the PAD leaders will tomorrow register for the Senate election so they will issue their last campaign words before registering," Thaksin said.

He denied he would declare a state of emergency.

Thaksin said Cabinet secretary-general Borwornsak Uwanno had asked him to do his best to ease the political tension, but denied Borwornsak had suggested he resign.

The PAD yesterday set the stage for the next phase of protests by calling for a mass rally tomorrow to petition for royal intervention to appoint a prime minister to replace Thaksin.

"Only the royal benevolence of His Majesty the King, to bestow a prime minister, can end the political crisis," anti-Thaksin campaigner Sondhi Limthongkul said, reading a PAD statement to crowds of protestors.

Sondhi said the protests had to intensify further because Thaksin has been stubborn and has clung to power, even placing the country's future in peril.

"Despite nonstop protests since February 4, Thaksin has refused to quit and instead, tries to perpetuate his misrule by staging a snap election that lacks any legitimacy.

"The political turmoil, if allowed to persist, will result in ruin for the country and the April 2 election will drive a deeper wedge into society, leading to possible tragic consequences and cracks impossible to bridge," he said.

Sondhi said that to preempt economic ruin, it was necessary to petition His Majesty the King to bestow a new prime minister to initiate a round of political reforms and to purge the country of Thaksin's flawed leadership.

"The reforms are expected to steer politics away from domination by greed and excessive capitalism."

He said the royally-appointed prime minister would be in charge of setting politics on course as soon as possible and rectifying mistakes left behind by Thaksin. "These include negotiations to conclude certain free trade deals considered unacceptable by the public and the surrender of satellites, telecom frequencies and air waves to foreigners."

Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee again denied yesterday that Thaksin would resign.

"Does that rumour still exist?" Surapong asked. "I can tell you that it's not true. I have just met Thaksin this morning. He looks fresh and relaxed after resting for a couple of days. He came to Government House to clear his work."

Due to concerns about the potential for violence at tomorrow's anti-Thaksin rally, Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya yesterday chaired a meeting of security authorities in preparation for the event. Attending the meeting were the National Security Councils chief, General Winai Patiyakul, Police chief General Kowit Wattana and the National Intelligence Agencys chief Pol General Jumpol Manmai.

After the meeting, Kowit said there had been concern about reports suggesting that a third party may try to instigate disruptions tomorrow.

"We are very concerned that the situation may become chaotic. We believe there are some groups who want to manipulate the demonstration in order to create disruptions," Kowit said.

When asked to describe the kind of situation he was referring to, Kowit said: "Wait and see." :o

At the meeting, Chidchai ordered police to set up more checkpoints around Bangkok to help screen and block certain groups of people wanting to join the protest, a source said.

Police will also prepare back-up teams in case the situation turns violent.

Chidchai also recommended that police should oversee Saturday's protest to ensure it goes ahead peacefully.

"There are a lot of rumours that suggest the protesters might try to destroy public property, including telephone booths and traffic lights, in order to instigate disarray, in an effort to prevent the April 2 election from going ahead," the source said.

The security authorities are also concerned that Democrat Party supporters from the provinces, who are heading to Bangkok to attend the party's rally at Sanam Luang today, might stay longer to join the PAD rally tomorrow.

Thaksin plans to stay in Bangkok for the whole of next week to help with Thai Rak Thai candidates campaign for the snap election.

The prime minister returned to Government House yesterday after being absent from his office since March 10, when the PAD-led protesters besieged the compound.

He has also cancelled plans to visit the South next week, to spend time in Bangkok to concentrate on election campaigning.

His schedule next week will see him visiting each of his constituencies in Bangkok on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings to speak to voters.

On Tuesday he will go to Government House for a cabinet meeting, while on Friday he will deliver a speech at Lumpini Park on the direction of Thai Rak Thai Party. On Saturday he plans to make his final campaign appearances before Sunday's election.

- TN

Residency does not entitle one to vote in Thailand

I think you will find PR does. :o You can apply for Thai citizenship once you have had PR for 5 years and meet the other qualifications. Once you have Thai citizenship, you can own land, vote, be a Thai shareholder and do not need a work permit.

Edited by English Noodles

a Natrualized citizen (or a citizen) can vote ... after all you are a citizen

Residency does not entitle one to vote

http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html.

and according to that ^^

An alien with permanent residency status will be eligible to apply for Thai citizenship after 10 consecutive years under this classification.

Edited by jdinasia

King meets privy council members for consultation

His Majesty the King called the biggest gathering of privy councillors in many years for consultations on the political situation yesterday, sources close to the privy council said. Gen Prem Tinsulanonda, the privy council chairman, and Gen Surayud Chulanont, former army chief, were among the 17 privy councillors who attended the audience at Klai Kangwon Palace in Hua Hin, the sources said.

The meeting lasted about three hours, ending shortly before the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) issued an appeal for His Majesty the King to appoint a new prime minister.

One of the sources said His Majesty was very concerned with the political situation, but the source could not provide any further details of what was discussed at the meeting.

The PAD yesterday formally called for a royally-bestowed prime minister to replace caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, as the 48-hour deadline it imposed on Mr Thaksin expired last night.

- BP

TV news editor axed after report

Channel 9's morning news editor has been given the axe, allegedly over a report implying that only a small number of supporters turned up at caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's election campaign speech in Chiang Rai last week. Chalermchai Yodmalai was removed from his position as editor in charge of the morning news programme yesterday after Mr Thaksin expressed dissatisfaction over a Channel 9 report that only 10,000 to 20,000 people attended his public address at Chiang Rai's provincial stadium on Monday.

The actual attendance at the event was said to have reached about 100,000.

It was reported that the lightning transfer took place after caretaker Natural Resources and Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat telephoned the Mass Communication Organisation of Thailand president Mingkwan Sangsuwan and condemned the report.

On Tuesday, around 100 Thaksin sympathisers in Chiang Rai laid a funeral wreath at the Channel 9 television provincial office in protest at the report.

Over the past few months, Channel 9 has won praise from media scholars for being fair and balanced in its coverage of the political crisis. Recently, it broadcast interviews with government critics including former prime minister Chuan Leekpai, who said the station had not approached him for an interview for the past five years.

Mr Chalermchai graduated from Chulalongkorn University's political science faculty. He began his career with iTV and later joined Channel 9, where he was promoted to news editor.

The transfer drew condemnation from the Campaign for Popular Media Reform, which denounced the government for abuse of power in silencing the media and demanded that Mr Thaksin quit, saying he was no longer a legitimate leader.

It said if the government remained in power it would continue to suppress press freedom and civil rights and obstruct media reform

- BP

BANGKOK, Thailand (Reuters) --

Leaders of a street campaign to oust Thaksin Shinawatra have called for one million people to demonstrate for royal intervention after the Thai prime minister failed to meet their latest deadline to quit.

"The 48-hour deadline has passed and a stubborn Thaksin has not bowed to our ultimatum," media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul, who launched the campaign against his ex-business ally last September, told thousands of protesters in front of Thaksin's headquarters.

So, he said, one million people should demonstrate on Saturday to persuade King Bhumibol Aduladej to appoint a neutral prime minister, who would institute political reforms, before the April 2 snap election Thaksin called three years early.

"If we allow this unfree and unfair election to take place, the country will be deeply divided, which will inevitably incur violence," Sondhi said.

The fear of violence has been constant since the campaign to oust Thaksin intensified in January when his relatives sold a controlling stake in the telecommunications empire he founded for a tax-free $1.9 billion to a Singapore state investment firm.

So far, however, the anti-Thaksin protests have been peaceful in a country with a long and relatively recent history of coups and the military have stressed many times it sees no reason to intervene.

Thaksin is campaigning for the election, which the three main opposition parties are boycotting, as the one standing up for democracy and refusing to bow to "mob rule".

His opponents, who accuse him of corruption and abuse of power, say it cannot be fair because he has taken over institutions meant to be neutral.

The idea of royal intervention, through a clause in the constitution which allows the king to act in situations the charter does not cover, has been floated frequently in the past few weeks.

But there has been no indication from the palace that the king plans to act and Thaksin insists the election will go ahead.

Nor does there appear to be any great support for the idea in the capital Bangkok, according to a new poll.

Only 30 percent of 1,500 people surveyed by Assumption University said they agreed with the idea and 23 percent said they disagreed. The rest said they had no opinion.

The poll also showed Bangkok residents were increasingly fed up with the campaign against Thaksin, with fewer people wanting him to quit and more wanting him to stay on than in the first week of March.

Locals tell Chamlongto get out of province

Kanchanaburi _ Villagers called on Chamlong Srimuang to leave the province yesterday, claiming he had ''upset'' His Majesty the King by joining the socially-disruptive anti-Thaksin movement. About 300 villagers led by former Third Army Region commander Ruamsak Chaikomin chanted ''Chamlong Get Out!'' in front of the leadership-training school Maj-Gen Chamlong has set up in Muang Kanchanaburi district.

Lt-Gen Ruamsak said he met Maj-Gen Chamlong on Feb 23 and asked him not to join the Bangkok rally, to no avail.

He said Maj-Gen Chamlong replied: ''It's too late. We are on the opposite side. The country is divided into two sides.''

Lt-Gen Ruamsak said his group had nothing to do with the conflict between Thaksin opponents and supporters.

There would be a grand celebration to mark the 60th anniversary of His Majesty's accession to the throne this year. Any conflict which marred this celebration and upset the King was unacceptable, Lt-Gen Ruamsak said.

BP

But there has been no indication from the palace that the king plans to act and Thaksin insists the election will go ahead.

Should email the Bangkok Post article (2 posts up) to Reuters.

Nor does there appear to be any great support for the idea in the capital Bangkok, according to a new poll.

Only 30 percent of 1,500 people surveyed by Assumption University said they agreed with the idea and 23 percent said they disagreed. The rest said they had no opinion.

30 is a higher number than 23 last time I checked.... so it seems MORE people agree with the idea than disagee.

The poll also showed Bangkok residents were increasingly fed up with the campaign against Thaksin, with fewer people wanting him to quit and more wanting him to stay on than in the first week of March.

As they failed to provide the numbers, are they similarly misintepreted/misrepresented as above???

Has Reuters contracted with Pattaya City News for their reporting??? :o

Go ahead John, you don't need my permission but perhaps you should check with PAD first.. :D

30 is a higher number than 23 last time I checked.... so it seems MORE people agree with the idea than disagee.

Even at 30%, still leaves a big no comment % that's higher than 30 or 23.

As they failed to provide the numbers, are they similarly misintepreted/misrepresented as above???

Ask them in your email, maybe they did not think that the numbers were necessary for their article. :D

??????? :D

Go ahead John, you don't need my permission but perhaps you should check with PAD first.. :D

I don't feel the need as I'm not the one posting their inaccurate/incomplete reporting. :D

Exactly, I was just trying to be accurate of the numbers that DID respond. Of course, ANY poll that has almost a 50% "no opinion" result negates the poll's significance. For Reuters to conclude that the smallest number of all three represented the majority opinion is clearly misleading.

Ask them in your email, maybe they did not think that the numbers were necessary for their article. :D

Perhaps that task is better suited for the person who posted their article.

Referring to a typically incomplete/inaccurate media outlet here. As Reuters is generally much more credible than this junk-written article reports, I was wondering if they had given up their normally reliable news sources. I am quite disappointed in them for dropping their typically high standard so much.

Edited by sriracha john

I don't feel the need as I'm not the one posting their inaccurate/incomplete reporting. :D

Exactly, I was just trying to be accurate of the numbers that DID respond. Of course, ANY poll that has almost a 50% "no opinion" result negates the poll's significance. For Reuters to conclude that the smallest number of all three represented the majority opinion is clearly misleading.

Referring to a typically incomplete/inaccurate media outlet here. As Reuters is generally much more credible than this junk-written article reports, I was wondering if they had given up their normally reliable news sources. I am quite disappointed in them for dropping their typically high standard so much.

I don't have to take responsibility for posting an article from a very credible worldwide news source any more than JaiDee or anyone else is responsible for the articles they posts. Possibly it's just the one sided propaganda from the Nation that is the standard you are accustomed to. :D

I'd love to know how ABAC does these polls as they really don't reflect the mood I'm witnessing around me.

There's an entire "caravan of the people very pissed of with Thaksin" around me going to attend tomorrow.

The best ABAC poll was the one about people wanting Thaksin to resign - apparently around only 20% of the people supported this view the first time round. They done the poll again a few days later where this figure had somehow managed to rise above 50%. There's a poll about it somewhere on this forum.

Utter folly.

I don't have to take responsibility for posting an article from a very credible worldwide news source any more than JaiDee or anyone else is responsible for the articles they posts.

The TNNBPRD will win a Pulitizer Prize long before whoever wrote this agreeably un-typical bit of junk.

I'd love to know how ABAC does these polls as they really don't reflect the mood I'm witnessing around me.

There's an entire "caravan of the people very pissed of with Thaksin" around me going to attend tomorrow.

The best ABAC poll was the one about people wanting Thaksin to resign - apparently around only 20% of the people supported this view the first time round. They done the poll again a few days later where this figure had somehow managed to rise above 50%. There's a poll about it somewhere on this forum.

Utter folly.

Polls reflect the questions that the pollsters ask. If you ask a question that elicits the answer you want it's not a valid poll or if you only ask a certain element to get the poll result you want it's not valid.

If you asked the question "Do you like Jewish people?" and you asked it in a Synagogue you would have close to 100% "yes" if asked in a Mosque you would have close to 100% "no". A good poll is a cross section of the population, possibly your circle of friends only represent a portion of that cross section, while to you it appears that they are the majority because of your proximity to them.

What you personally witness can be very deceptive, both depending on the environment you move around and the Thai tendency to follow whatever you may feel in order to avoid friction and conflict.

I enjoy asking as many people as possible for their opinions, but i have stopped discussing politics other than with people who are clearly open minded enough to accept other's opinions. My neighborhood is mainly lower middle class, lower class. Most of my neighbors are pro Thaksin, not fanatical though. Most of my more educated friends/acquintances are against Thaksin. Most of my lower class/gangster friends are either against Thaksin or don't care.

The two villages up north i am very familiar with are to a large extend pro Thaksin.

I try to ask every taxi driver on which side they are. So far the vast majority, about 70% does not like to take sides, either because they don't like any side, or because they feel it does not make a difference anyhow. 20% pro Thaksin, and about 10% against. Most of those taxi drivers are at first reluctant about expressing their opinion, many say that they go with whatever their clients wish to hear as they are scared of arguments and losing customers.

What though almost everybody i asked fears is a violent end to this situation.

As long as the majority of Thai people support Thaksin I think it's unlikely he will be ousted by royal intervention, unless the government resorts to excessive violence in dealing with protestors. The king of Thailand is the king of all Thai people regardless of their political affiliations, ousting a government with majority support of the people is probably not in the best interest of the monarchy.

The article about the privy council meeting says nothing about what was discussed or concluded in the meeting so one can only make assumptions. Making assumptions is poor journalism.

And 30% is not "great support" any way you spin it.

Yes, but Thaksin has hit a brick wall - he can't go on farmers' support only. All other sectors clearly want him to go.

The country will be paralised if he doesn't resign. Privy Councelors have to think about the future, cos farmers don't particualry care, or know, about anything but themselves.

Thaksin support up in new Abac poll

A new Abac poll shows Bangkok residents are becoming fed up with the anti-Thaksin street demonstrations, and increasingly want Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to stay in office.

Eight out of 10 of the people said they wanted all rallies to end and nine out of 10 favoured a negotiated end to the impasse, according to the poll by Assumption University

Just 28.1 percent of respondents now wanted Mr Thaksin out compared with 48.2 percent on March 6. Those who wanted him to stay had rose to 47.2 percent from 35.5 percent, it said.

"The more offensive the campaign, the less support they get from the masses," chief pollster Noppadon Kannika said in a statement.

The Abac poll also showed little support for the military to step in, or any other type of "emergency" action. It said about 27 percent of respondents said the government should declare one now, but only 40 percent said they would support one at all - even if there were violence.

The poll said 65 percent of respondents said they would vote. It did not ask them how they would vote. (BP)