ผีมะพร้าว

joorakee

Concluding from the context, the word ผีมะพร้าว must refer to 'ladies of the night'. I came across this term for the first time when leafing through Thailand-related news (see the link below) yesterday and found it quite funny. A 'coconut ghost' - sounds nice, doesn't it?

Does anyone happen to have heard or seen this euphemism before? I'm too shy to ask some of my Thai acquaintances whether ผ.ม. is commonly used in spoken language. sick.gif

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/th/2013/05/07/%e0%b8%95%e0%b8%b3%e0%b8%a3%e0%b8%a7%e0%b8%88%e0%b8%9e%e0%b8%b1%e0%b8%97%e0%b8%a2%e0%b8%b2%e0%b8%81%e0%b8%a7%e0%b8%b2%e0%b8%94%e0%b8%a5%e0%b9%89%e0%b8%b2%e0%b8%87%e0%b8%9c%e0%b8%b5%e0%b8%a1%e0%b8%b0/

It's said that the term was coined by parents when asked by their young children what those exotic ladies were over there. Calling them ghosts avoided telling the truth, and made them scary, so the children would keep their distance.

ผีกขนุน (Jackfruit ghost) is perhaps more common than ผีมะพร้าว.
  • Like 1

I think it's just the newspaper's spin on the term ผีกขนุน making it into ผีมะพร้าว since it's beach side with palm trees.

It's not a common term and without knowing the context a Thai would not know what it refers to.

• Like 1

It's said that the term was coined by parents when asked by their young children what those exotic ladies were over there. Calling them ghosts avoided telling the truth, and made them scary, so the children would keep their distance.

ผีกขนุน (Jackfruit ghost) is perhaps more common than ผีมะพร้าว.

I guess people justify euphamisms in their own way; a friend put it like this: ผีขนุน refers to prostitutes standing beside ต้นขนุน lining คลองหลอด near สนามหลวง which used to be a popular spot. ผี because why would a woman remain so close to a tree for no reason ? she must be the tree's spirit. ผีมะขาม closer to สนามหลวง was a spot for more upmarket - expensive woman.

It must be read in context though doesn't it? it would be a pity if one couldn't say ผีขนุน when one meant it.