Law-Enforcement Agency? People Begin To Wonder: Thai Editorial

webfact

The only reason we are seeing more of the accused police corruption, is because of U Tube, Facebook, Skype and the internet. Before it was the accused police denial of a problem , now it is recorded and within minutes thousands of people know about it. cowboy.gifph34r.pngph34r.png

• Like 1

The Thai police will never be reformed while the likes of Thaksin & Chalerm have government power.

They are used by PTP (& Thaksin's previous incarnations) for the following:

1. Promoting their relatives & supporters into key positions

2. Dumping unemployable offspring

3. Capturing, torturing, killing & removing troublesome activists

4. Controlling unfavourable groups protesting

5. Allowing & running gambling joints, massage parlours & extortion rackets

6. Protecting cronies & thuggish supporters

A top-dpwn realistic anti-corruption drive, starting with politicians, followed by the police & then others such as the military is the only way that systematic reform will occur in Thailand.

• Like 2

There are so many problems in regards to the police in Thailand that it is hard to say where to begin the clean up. A good start may be paying the police a decent living wage. It is unreasonable to expect people to do a dangerous and difficult job for 8 to 10,000 baht a month. If police were paid more, maybe the temptation to supplement income through bribery would decrease. Of course there needs to be better screening and testing to get a higher standard of individual in the force. We are all aware that many of the high ranking officers are rotten to the core and nothing can be done to change them. It will take a very brave and powerful individual to get the rotten apples out of the force. The police in Thailand are really a reflection of the society. People accept corruption in Thailand. Poll after poll states that Thais don't have a problem with corruption as long as it benefits them. To see real change in the police, we will need to see real change in the whole society.

Although they probably should get a higher wage, I don't think that will do anything to stop their corruption. That would be implying that rich people aren't corrupt.

You need higher wages and stricter discipline. It's worked elsewhere and a long time ago.

The Thai police will never be reformed while the likes of Thaksin & Chalerm have government power.

A top-dpwn realistic anti-corruption drive, starting with politicians, followed by the police & then others such as the military is the only way that systematic reform will occur in Thailand.

Hate to burst your "Anti-Thaksin" bubble, but this crap was going on long before Dr T was out of diapers. And, NO, I am not a Red shirt or Thaksin fan.

Edited by Just1Voice

Hate to burst your "Anti-Thaksin" bubble, but this crap was going on long before Dr T was out of diapers. And, NO, I am not a Red shirt or Thaksin fan.

Some of it - yes. Never to the same extent as it is now. The police (& the DSI) are now under one party's control & that's why it has become a 'bubble'.

Yeah i think it starts with that police officers have a very low salary which almost forces them into this. One thing that is needed if a reform can succeed or not is a hike in salary with at least 10.000 baht. A normal thai police officer have a salary around 13-15.000 baht per month and this is in Bkk how many of you can live off of that. Thats what i spend on a slow week.

So for bribery cases to hike police officers salaries and then when that is done they need to be reprimanded or fired and put on trial like everyone else for their crimes.

A few years ago i was in moscow playing american football in the eurobowl. One of the days during our stay there two of my teammates where robbed in broad daylight by police officers just outside our hotel.

Its not only thai police that are corrupt.

The salary they get is considered their base salary. Police management knows they can get more. It's like a waitress getting minimal salary knowing she will get tips.

• Like 1

It appears that many in the force believe they can take advantage of the criminal justice and law-enforcement systems. Greed and lust have more influence on them than their conscience and their duty as protectors of civil peace and order. And they seem convinced that, with the law and corrupt colleagues "on their side", they can get away with anything.

Why wouldn't they think they can get away with it, they are, and have for a long time. All they have to do is look at the example set for them by their leaders who would kiss Thaksins feet instead of arresting him if given the opportunity.

it's high time reform of the police topped the national agenda.

Well, there might be differences in opinion, but I think policing ought to be a local issue and not something on national agenda lists.

There is a good amount of evidence that where matters are kept at a local level, for things which are mainly of local concern, corruption is considerably less.

Have to disagree. Reforming the police NEEDS to be on a National Agenda.

Running the police offices can be handled locally, but you need the reform FIRST.

I disagree Here in Chiang Mai the immigration is run on the National level and the powers that be have said Chiang Mai can have 14 more officers.

How ever they have to be hired at the national level and as a result no new officials.

I am not going to get into how bad the need is but to put it bluntly they desperately need 14 new officers.

If handled at the local level the problem would have been solved long ago.

I might mention that the immigration officers are part of the BIB I think

• Like 1

I do believe former Thai minister Thaksin was a former policeman? Could he have amassed his fortune on a policeman's salary?

He started on his fortune when he got a contract to supply computers to the .... (wait for it) .... police, and then getting a monopoly deal in communications. But is family, and particularly his ex-wife's family, are also quite rich. It should also be noted that a few of his businesses went bankrupt. He only seems to do well when he doesn't have competition.

• Like 2

You forgot something...

7. A large percent of the contract killings are done by off duty

Thai policemen.

It is a bit like a mafia neighborhood. If someones needs to be killed

it will be handled by a local mafia guy. If they let outside people in

to do the killing, that would make the mafia look weak.

Some of it - yes. Never to the same extent as it is now. The police (& the DSI) are now under one party's control & that's why it has become a 'bubble'.

What the hell does when this stuff started have to do with it. khunken is talking about today. Why are you trying to side track it?

The one point I might suggest is the top down includes the head cop let him go first and when they get the other scum out of the picture they will all ready have a head start on the police. When I say scum I mean on both sides of the aisle. I am not pointing at parties here just at corrupt officials. I don't care what political part they belong to.

Police involved in all sorts of wrongdoing is nothing new and maybe there's more publicity these days and similarly editorials like this are not new either but unfortunately they never make any difference. Like corruption and so many other hot topics, officialdom promises to clean things up and promptly do nothing.

The editorial would have been complete if it had also questioned why the DSI has become the enforcement arm of the PTP.

Nothing will happen till it comes from the top.

The only reason we are seeing more of the accused police corruption, is because of U Tube, Facebook, Skype and the internet. Before it was the accused police denial of a problem , now it is recorded and within minutes thousands of people know about it. cowboy.gifph34r.pngph34r.png

Expect a full ban on all video recording devices (including phones) any time now. To preserve Thai culture of course.

• Like 2

It should also be noted that a few of his businesses went bankrupt. He only seems to do well when he doesn't have competition.

Thai business rule number one, if the competition have level playing field, change the playing field.

Considering the chief of police is Chalerm, who as anyone who has lived here for a while knows is nothing short of a thug, what hope is there for a cleaner police force. If aiding and abetting the murder of another policeman, intimidating witnesses, evading arrest, tampering with a crime scene and compulsive lying lead to rapid promotion to chief of police in this red democracy, I think the Thai people fully deserve the bed they are now stuck in.

Nothing changes because the people of thailand are taught from a young age right through to adult to do as they are told and dont ask questions.

How ironic there is a group of politicians and their dead head followers who want amnesty for criminals.

Just shows there isnt much future for the place

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by allalong

Considering the chief of police is Chalerm, who as anyone who has lived here for a while knows is nothing short of a thug, what hope is there for a cleaner police force. If aiding and abetting the murder of another policeman, intimidating witnesses, evading arrest, tampering with a crime scene and compulsive lying lead to rapid promotion to chief of police in this red democracy, I think the Thai people fully deserve the bed they are now stuck in.

The "chief of police" in Thailand is the Commissioner-General, Police General Adul Saengsingkaew, Chalerm is a deputy Prime Minister and, I think, Minister of the Interior (?)

The "chief of police" in Thailand is the Commissioner-General, Police General Adul Saengsingkaew, Chalerm is a deputy Prime Minister and, I think, Minister of the Interior (?)

I feel a song coming on.

Saengsingkaew everybody knows one.

Saengsingkaew every garden grows one.

Me and you

Are subject to

The browns now and then.

And when it starts to feeling good.

You just pay out again.

You just pay out again.

Saengsingkaew is there in name only, Chalerm holds the reins.

I do believe former Thai minister Thaksin was a former policeman? Could he have amassed his fortune on a policeman's salary?

He started on his fortune when he got a contract to supply computers to the .... (wait for it) .... police, and then getting a monopoly deal in communications. But is family, and particularly his ex-wife's family, are also quite rich. It should also be noted that a few of his businesses went bankrupt. He only seems to do well when he doesn't have competition.

He was also a Royal Thai Police officer after many of his failed businesses. His contract to supply computers was after his employment with the Royal Thai Police.