Just Back From My Second Visit To Thailand

Rik325i

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Integration ?? you will be tolerated but never accepted .So with houses being built ,businesses being thought about ,brother in law wine bar etc etc,i sense your in a world of hurt within 2 yrs ,i could be wrong but good luck with all that buddy

why would he never be accepted? going by your own bad experience ?

Wise up, "paddy ken", farangs are never accepted, just tolerated for their atm. Only a fool would build houses and buy trucks for the wifes brother

Am i the only one who is sat shaking their head at some of the replies on here ? There are some sad people out there with some bad attitudes, maybe they should have listened to their own advice.

OP , good on you for having a good holiday away from the bars, wish i could do it sometimes.

As I said, big learning curve, perhaps you are at the beginning of your learning curve. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Am i the only one who is sat shaking their head at some of the replies on here ? There are some sad people out there with some bad attitudes, maybe they should have listened to their own advice.

OP , good on you for having a good holiday away from the bars, wish i could do it sometimes.

As I said, big learning curve, perhaps you are at the beginning of your learning curve. coffee1.gif

I find trusting my instincts, rather than some bitter men on a forum, has always worked for me coffee1.gif

Yeh but you are 15, wait till you have dealt with stuff eh. coffee1.gif

ps do you ever get used to thai music ????

Nope, never!

More likely to be Morlam or Kantrum where the OP stayed............................... and definitely NEVER!

the place i stayed was Meaung Lopburi to be fairly specific, why, does it make that much difference ??

They are not suggestions as to your location but the styles of Thai music most common in your location..

hey rik i forgot to ask do you have a w.p.

m.m.who rattled your cage.whistling.gif

no, i dont have a w.p., why would i need one, i wasnt paid for anything i did, i was just helping the family out so technically speaking wasnt employed and thus have no need of a work permit, the question did come up however and the gfs brother in law who is a policeman told us not to worry about it wai.gif

• Like 1

no, i dont have a w.p., why would i need one, i wasnt paid for anything i did, i was just helping the family out so technically speaking wasnt employed and thus have no need of a work permit, the question did come up however and the gfs brother in law who is a policeman told us not to worry about it wai.gif

I also do my own jobs around my house but have on occasions recieved some cautionary advice from a local family friend

who is also a policeman, a work permit is apparently required to do any work that would normally incur a payment, so you

not recieving any payment would not matter just that if a Thai did the work they would recieve payment and the fact you are

doing it for free would be seenas you doing somebody out of a job, i never have got ome to do my own jobs, but i suppose

if somebody wanted to cause problems they could.

[

no, i dont have a w.p., why would i need one, i wasnt paid for anything i did, i was just helping the family out so technically speaking wasnt employed and thus have no need of a work permit, the question did come up however and the gfs brother in law who is a policeman told us not to worry about it Posted Image

* Whether you are paid or not has nothing to do with the necessity for a WP.

* I wouldn't assume a police officer would know much, if anything at all, about work permits.

* "Don't worry about it" is often the default position for a Thai. (I'm sure he's sincere and thinks there's nothing to worry about, but many Thais go through life somewhat blithely saying that and once in a while when they are wrong, just say, "Sorry! Thought it'd be OK..."). Not saying advice is useless and shouldn't be sought, but as a general rule...

You'd be wise to make your own determinations about what to worry about.

• Like 1

the family is quite large

Safe to say OP's met all the brothers, then. rolleyes.gif

There arnt any brothers directly, but lots of uncles and cousins, ive met quite a few of them and they were also very likeable when understandably wary at first but very open and inquisitive towards me but not in any way offensive or derogatory.

of course, not being able to speak thai i didnt know what was being said but they all tried to communicate with what little english they knew and tried to teach me new words in thai, thankfully before the meal i was pre warned by the gf not to try and say the thai word for banana as that could be hilarious if i got the inflection wrong laugh.png

I also do my own jobs around my house but have on occasions recieved some cautionary advice from a local family friend

who is also a policeman, a work permit is apparently required to do any work that would normally incur a payment, so you

not recieving any payment would not matter just that if a Thai did the work they would recieve payment and the fact you are

doing it for free would be seenas you doing somebody out of a job, i never have got ome to do my own jobs, but i suppose

Thank you for this advice, much appreciated, i will take care in the future, i suppose the fact that the father was also working beside me could have made a difference too ??

• Like 1

I find trusting my instincts, rather than some bitter men on a forum, has always worked for me coffee1.gif

Yeh but you are 15, wait till you have dealt with stuff eh. coffee1.gif

A cloistered life might be safe and free of tragedy but it's a meal of white rice with soy sauce—not very exciting. Sure, men are prone to flights of fancy. It's not always bad, as instinct has its own intelligence. But such flights of fancy can also be the source of future tragediesfinancial, emotional and otherwise. How things turn out depends on a combination of luck, one's disposition and one's ability to learn and change. It's more interesting to live by the seat of your pants. The real tragedy is failing to learn from experience and in repeating one's mistakes. As the saying goes: good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

As in the Chinese story of The Lost Horse, good luck and bad luck are interrelated; people should not fear bad luck as much as they do, nor should they rejoice in good luck as if that is where the story ends.

T

BTW, those coffee-drinking emoticons drink in synchrony; I was annoyingly mesmerized for a moment.

• Like 1

m.m.who rattled your cage.Posted Image

no, i dont have a w.p., why would i need one, i wasnt paid for anything i did, i was just helping the family out so technically speaking wasnt employed and thus have no need of a work permit, the question did come up however and the gfs brother in law who is a policeman told us not to worry about it Posted Image

Thank you for this advice, much appreciated, i will take care in the future, i suppose the fact that the father was also working beside me could have made a difference too ??
If you make the working a part of your life in Thailand were money is involved eg: making furniture whether that is " just helping out" then you need a work permit. If you are just cutting the grass at your home.. no (but even that COULD be classified as work)

Just be careful.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

There arnt any brothers directly, but lots of uncles and cousins ...

WOOSH ...

But give him his due and wish him happy sailing ... laugh.png

There arnt any brothers directly, but lots of uncles and cousins, ive met quite a few of them and they were also very likeable when understandably wary at first but very open and inquisitive towards me but not in any way offensive or derogatory.

of course, not being able to speak thai i didnt know what was being said but they all tried to communicate with what little english they knew and tried to teach me new words in thai, thankfully before the meal i was pre warned by the gf not to try and say the thai word for banana as that could be hilarious if i got the inflection wrong laugh.png

i learnt a lot about uncles,aunties,cousins when you meet them look into their eye's you will see the £ signs,then after you give them a few leo's they burst into song,what was that big hit abba hadwhistling.gif

i learnt a lot about uncles,aunties,cousins when you meet them look into their eye's you will see the £ signs,then after you give them a few leo's they burst into song,what was that big hit abba hadwhistling.gif

Fernando? Didn't know that was a big hit out in the boonies.

BTW, those coffee-drinking emoticons drink in synchrony; I was annoyingly mesmerized for a moment.

The emoticons are synchronized because they are all the same image (moving .gif) being pulled and placed onto the page in various places. At the source, it's just one.

They remind me of all of the farangs who have posted in synchrony in the Marriage and Divorce section. tongue.png

Edited by NeverSure

Mate i wish you luck, but having lived here quite a long time i have heard story's like yours quite often and they do not all end happily, hope yours will, just keep looking through those rose tinted glasses, how old are you by the way as you sound a bit naive. rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

mca quote abba's big hit "fernando" not that one.

here's a clue ----y ----y ----y its a rich farangs world,ha ha ha ha if we had a little ----y.

and its not fanny fanny fanny.cheesy.gif

Nice work and nice story. Good luck with your future visits to your lovely girlfriend and her family. I just hope that you don´t get burned, as many of us have been before with Isaan girls. Not many first time visitors pass by Isaan, so where and how did you meet your girlfriend? If you met her in one of the large tourist destinations, there is very good reason to be suspicious. Specially if you met her in a bar or a club.

@ the OP...A feel good story.....but just second trip here.....I hear alarm bells.

My two bob's worth, don't make any promises that tie you down.....but most important of all, get out and about and see what else this wonderful country has to offer before you tie yourself down in the first location you have come across.

I'm sure you feel great by being readily accepted by your GF's family.....just feels a bit hasty for me.

Anyway I wish you luck whatever your endeavours.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Safe to say OP's met all the brothers, then. Posted Image

of course, not being able to speak thai i didnt know what was being said but they all tried to communicate with what little english they knew and tried to teach me new words in thai, thankfully before the meal i was pre warned by the gf not to try and say the thai word for banana as that could be hilarious if i got the inflection wrong Posted Image

Uncles and cousins? In other words, the whole village. :)

• Like 1