Thai National Anthem

moradave

I am so impressed with Thailand's National Anthem that I penned (with my word processor) English lyrics to be sung to the melody of the Anthem.

I tried as much as I could to keep the meaning of the Thai lyrics.

Here they are:

Thailand is the flesh and blood of all the Thais,
Land of Thailand belongs to Thais,
Sovereignty has always long endured,
Because the Thais seek love and unity,
Thai di rak di mo, and away we go,
No one can our freedoms take away,
Thais will give up every drop of blood,
For our nation's victory today. (Hurrah}

I am so impressed with Thailand's National Anthem that I penned (with my word processor) English lyrics to be sung to the melody of the Anthem.

Here they are:

My favorite part was, "Thai di rak di mo, and away we go"

(Don't give up your day job.)

• Like 2

Thanks for the translation. I don't know why but I found many anthems to be "pathetic". Maybe because that's the way to forge a nation...

"No one can our freedoms take away". Freedom? Is there such a concept in thailand?

"Land of Thailand belongs to Thais". So if you are not Thai, it doesn't? Anyway, I still have Earth that belongs to me and 7 other billion people.

I am not trying in any way to justify the meaning of the lyrics, only to supply an English set of lyrics to this beautiful melody. The theme of the lyrics is that Thailand has always belonged only to the Thais, and not to some foreign power. And that Thailand will fight to the "last drop of blood" to keep it that way.

I admit that I took liberal use of artistic license with the line "Thai di rak di mo, and away we go". It just sounded so good, and I felt the lyrics needed a little whimsy. If anyone has a suggestion for a better line, let me know.

When you guys have finished your contributions, I would like to send the final version to Asian Update Channel, ASTV channel, PM Yingluck and former PM Abhisit (hurrah).

It seems that your innovative line fits ; ไทยนี้รักสงบแต่ถึงรบไม่ขลาด 'Thailand likes peace but when trouble comes is not found wanting/not scared/ not cowardly etc.

'Thai di rak di mo' if it is supposed to be transliterated Thai seems to say: 'good Thais love well' so what does 'mo' mean?

I have tried fitting the English words to the tune and can't do it.

Here they are:

My favorite part was, "Thai di rak di mo, and away we go"

(Don't give up your day job.)

Please elaborate: Thai di rak di mo. "........and away we go" , is in contrast to "Don't give up your daily job".

It's probably something like a "key-sentence" and I would really like to know what it truly means.

Thanks & cheers.

I seem to be getting a lot of attention to the line "Thai di rak di mo, and away we go" . Two of the many translations I have found is "The Thai people are peace-loving, But they are no cowards at war" and "Thais are peace-loving, but fight with courage".

This seems to me like a rally cry, so that is what my line is meant to be. "Thai di rak di mo" is my attempt at phonetic spelling of the way the lyrics sound to me when sung in Thai. "And away we go" is the rally cry. I admit this is a stretch but it's cute, and fits the melody perfectly.

I do not speak Thai (obviously), and I am not a lyricist (also obvious). I'm just trying to have a little fun doing something new, and I don't have a day job (retired).

Once again I am welcome to suggestions to change that line, or any line, to more accurately convey the meaning. However any changes must fit to the melody. So come on guys, give me suggestions.

I read the translations in Wikipedia. They are not lyrics. They are translations which do not fit the melody. My goal is to write a set of lyrics with roughly the same meaning which fit the melody.

"Thai di rak di mo" is MY phonetic spelling of what I hear when I listen to the anthem being sung. In fact it is the only part of the Thai lyrics which I can comprehend the sounds at all.

Once again a replacement is requested.

bifftastic wrote:

"The part you transliterated as 'Thai di rak di mo' (ไทยนี้รักสงบ) is, in fact ไทย นี้ รัก สงบ Thai ni rak sa ngop 'Thais love peace' "

I am going to change the controversial line to read:

"Thais love peace you know, but to war we'll go"

Thank you bifftastic.

Comments please.

Okay, I changed the "Thai di rak di mo" line to English. I changed all "we's" to "theys". I think this is more appropiate for a foreigner crafting the lyric. I tweaked the lines to better fit the melody.

Here is the Thai version on You Tube I used as a guide"

You can play it while singing my lyrics. It's not perfect, but is close as I can get without altering the meaning.

Here is my latest version of the lyrics:

For the Thais seek love and unity,
Thais love peace you know, but to war they'll go,
No tyrant can their freedoms take away,
The Thais will give up every drop of blood,
Long last the nation's pride and victory hooray.

Any final comments, suggestions etc.?

I like the sound of "English lyrics by Moradave" in the by-line.

I think the meaning has been changed in the first line. 'Yes Thailand is the flesh and blood of all the Thais' I think the original meaning is that the country, the nation state itself, unites the flesh and blood of all the Thai people. In that, the country is comprised of different groups of people (speaking different languages/dialects) but the fact that they are all Thai, is meant to be a uniting factor. Whether it actually is or not, is another subject completely :)

• Like 1

Thank you beautifulthailand99. The flag video is a very nice tribute.

Here is the latest version of the lyrics:

Thailand unites the flesh and blood of all the Thais,
The land of Thailand belongs to all the Thais,
Their sovereignty has always long endured,
For the Thais seek love and also unity,
Thais love peace you know, but to war they'll go,
No tyrant can their freedoms take away,
The Thais will give up every drop of blood,
Long last the nation's pride and victory hooray.

Try singing the lyrics while playing the Thai flag video posted above by beautifulthailand99.

Hint: start with "thaiI-LAND". Accent on the second syllable.

Edited by moradave