International Space Station Power System Radiator Leaking

webfact

International Space Station power system radiator leaking

The International Space Station has a radiator leak in its power system. The outpost's commander has called the situation serious, but not life-threatening.

On Thursday the six-member crew noticed white flakes of ammonia leaking out of the station. Ammonia runs through multiple radiator loops to cool the station's power system. Nasa said the leak is increasing from one previously leaking loop that can be bypassed if needed, and that fixing the leak might require that a portion of the station's cooling system be shut down for about 48 hours. Nasa spokesman Bob Jacobs said engineers are working on rerouting electronics just in case the loop shuts down. The Earth-orbiting station has backup systems.

Space station commander Chris Hadfield of Canada tweeted that the problem, while serious, was stabilised.

The space station always has enough emergency escape ships for the crew, but there are no plans to use them.

Source: http://www.ramadan.com/space/international-space-station-power-system-radiator-leaking.html

-- Ramadan 2013-05-10

Jee... one cannot take a leak even in empty space without being watched nowadays...

And some people ask here 'How tight is your g/f?' biggrin.png

Seriously: - it is nothing serious.

Edited by ABCer

I very much doubt they have eggs on the Space Station.

Sure they must have powdered eggs...just like during the war........

Pack up your troubles in your old...etc..........

I very much doubt they have eggs on the Space Station.

Sure they must have powdered eggs...just like during the war........

They did have plastic Easter eggs and an Easter egg hunt. Couldn't hide them too well, they kept floating up. biggrin.png

• Like 1

a lot can be done with epoxy. Awhile back, there was a leak in one of US space rockets. The leak was very hard to access. Someone reading the news, suggested epoxy. It was tried, and worked. I use epoxy for all sorts of things, though it's been awhile since I built any rockets.thumbsup.gif