Left My Bike With Friends, And Can't Tell What Caused Damage

Hello,

Just after spending a few weeks at home and came back to find some damage on my 2yr old Honda Click. I was told the fuel gauge had to be replaced while I was gone, which is fine.

But as soon as I got on the bike I noticed the left brake handle has broken off. There's some scratching on the front "bumper" and the left side has some new scratches too.

The plastics around the head lights used to rattle like hell but now they're dead silent so somebody has taken them off and re-fitted them (a simple tightening of screws didn't work for me before, so the only way to fix that noise was to remove the plastics and re-fit them).

The engine runs fine but the steering feels abit weird but I haven't riden in a month now so still just getting back into it.

Any ideas what might have happened the bike? Does it sound like a drop or a crash to you guys? I just want to be safe on the bike and hear your own opinions.

Cheers smile.png

Edited by byrne1916

If you're from England, the damage was done by Gremlins. If you not English, you should seriously assume that somebody used your motorcycle without permission... But not forget that if you said “take care of my motorcycle” you said nothing about not using it...

The not working fuel gauge can be unrelated, as fuel gauges are a regular failing part on a Honda motorcycle

I do not even leave my bike with my father!

For me it is like leaving your wife with your friends for a ride. Same thing:lol:

I lock it tight and cover it in a secure parking space if i am leaving it for some time.

Never leave your bike to anyone.

Edited by loserlazer

good lord

Left My Bike With Friends, And Can't Tell What Caused Damage

Answer: YOUR 'FRIENDS' CAUSED DAMAGE.

really, how hard could it be to figure that out on your own?

All well and good unless the OP has some sort of brain damage.

I forgot this was ThaiVisa...

Yes I left the bike with friends, they said it wasn't crashed or dropped, so I wanted to ask what did the damage sound like to you guys...

I understand this is alot to ask from this forum, seeing as most TV members struggle to reply to threads without at least hating on Thais. I apologise if this thread was too difficult for certain people to follow. I was trying to find out if the damage sounded like a crash or just fell over... again for sorry for asking.

To answer my own question - I found out the bike was involved in a crash which my "friends" didn't want to tell me about. They gave it to a girl who never drove a bike before, and kindly decided to drive their own one.

Today the fuel gauge broke (bad repair job I'm guessing) and now the headlights won't work either.

I was gone for just under a month so I wanted the bike to get a bit of driving instead of sitting up. They were English friends not Thai, but the Thai friends I do have are lovely.

I won't be leaving my bike with anyone again, the fact there was an accident didn't bother me, but not being told the truth is another thing.

• Like 1

Now that they have admitted the crash, try and get them to pay for the damage.

The good news is, the repairs it sounds like you need, probably won't cost more than 1000Baht.

Not sure about that op says steering felt strange so maybe more damage,depending on other factors I maybe inclined to tell friends that they crashed it so they now buy it,depends how much you like the really and how much damage their actually is

I forgot this was ThaiVisa...

Yes I left the bike with friends, they said it wasn't crashed or dropped, so I wanted to ask what did the damage sound like to you guys...

I understand this is alot to ask from this forum, seeing as most TV members struggle to reply to threads without at least hating on Thais. I apologise if this thread was too difficult for certain people to follow. I was trying to find out if the damage sounded like a crash or just fell over... again for sorry for asking.

To answer my own question - I found out the bike was involved in a crash which my "friends" didn't want to tell me about. They gave it to a girl who never drove a bike before, and kindly decided to drive their own one.

Today the fuel gauge broke (bad repair job I'm guessing) and now the headlights won't work either.

I was gone for just under a month so I wanted the bike to get a bit of driving instead of sitting up. They were English friends not Thai, but the Thai friends I do have are lovely.

I won't be leaving my bike with anyone again, the fact there was an accident didn't bother me, but not being told the truth is another thing.

This just goes to show you the quality of most Foreigners in Thailand that you might consider are friends. Personally it's not the Thai's I worry about, they are wonderful people and I have had very few try to take advantage of me, most are very friendly and helpful. The foreigners here they will screw their own countrymen over before a Thai will - and before the haters come out. YES, there is the exception to every rule meaning there are some nice foreigners here, but not many, most are bottom of the barrel trying to figure out how to get you to buy them a beer at the bar or invest in there unsuccessful going out of business venture. Other, sit at the bar all day doing nothing but getting fatter and bitter talking about how good life used to be LOL....

Oh wait, it's TV, most of those guys are here to hahahaha smile.png....

Anyway, if your bike has been wrecked and the steering is screwed up it means they probably hit something pretty hard. Scooters like most bikes are hard to fix because there isn't much to them and they bend very easily all over the place (frame bends, steering head out of alignment), etc. Most shops don't have the tools to fix these issues, they just replace parts to make it look good again but they never generally run right down the road. Generally you wreck a scooter pretty badly, you just have to sell it off to someone who doesn't care about the way it rides and then go get a new one.

I would sell it and get a new one... Somebody will buy it, move on to something else, lesson learned.

Edited by commande

It's been dropped, just fix t. The steering may feel weird as tyres deflate over time, check the pressures. The plastics stopped rattling as after being dropped, it jammed up. An easy fix for that is to put some foam (like a sponge) under it. A bike would have been fine to leave for a month or two, just leave benzine in it not gasohol. At worst you would have used the kick starter to get it going initially then the battery would get a charge on the first ride.

"This just goes to show you the quality of most Foreigners in Thailand that you might consider are friends. Personally it's not the Thai's I worry about, they are wonderful people and I have had very few try to take advantage of me, most are very friendly and helpful. The foreigners here they will screw their own countrymen over before a Thai will - and before the haters come out. YES, there is the exception to every rule meaning there are some nice foreigners here, but not many, most are bottom of the barrel trying to figure out how to get you to buy them a beer at the bar or invest in there unsuccessful going out of business venture."

I take the blanket approach, I don't trust anyone!

The problem with leaving vehicles with friends is that there is too much that can go wrong, and when something goes wrong, what do you do. They're friends, you're not going to set up a contract. Best to just take the key with you and have nobody touch it.

I left my car with a "friend" once; I didn't even know the guy very well but his handshake agreement that he'd just give me up to the worth of the car, which was only $3,000, if something went wrong was good enough for me. I lost $3,000.

Not malice, just negligence on his part, and I guess he didn't have the money either back then. Something broke and he left the car, racked up parking tickets and by the time I found out it had already been toed and getting it out of there + the tickets was more than the worth of the car. But hey- worse things can happen. One of the reasons I gave him the thing was that I knew it wouldn't be the end of the world if it turned out badly.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1