Fined 15,000 Baht For "smuggling"

cardholder

I hesitate to post this personal experience as I am sure it will attract some smart arse comments. I guess I finally decided to post to enable
my experience to serve as a warning to others.

Anyway, went to the border market yesterday in the jungle near Ban Kruat. For those who don't know it, it is about 10 km through Ban Kruat and a
market is held on Friday and Saturday mornings. It is actually in Cambodia and one of your group has to leave ID at the border point in exchange for a number. You then drive into the woods for almost 1km before parking up and walking into Cambodia.

The market is well used by local Falangs who can buy a carton of ciggies for 110 Baht, wine for 200 to 500 Baht and 3 cans of Angkor or Leo for50 Baht. Copy dvds are 20 Baht and bargains can be had on charcoal,chicken feed, straw roof panels and wooden handles for tools etc etc

They are VERY strict on what you can take out and each individual has their bags checked to ensure that the carton of fags, 4 cans of beer, 1
bottle of liiquor etc is not exceeded.

I took the missus, 2 sisters, a friend and two kids. Five adults.

I did what I have done before - bought 20 cans of Angkor (packed 4 per bag) and 5 cartons of Marlborough lights - also packed in individual bags. When we left each adult took out their allotted allowance.

Headed back home and dropped off the passengers. The missus and I decided to go and eat at Deiters restaurant in Prakhonchai. From there I called my
friend and said I would drop round some ciggies for him - I don't smoke!

As I pulled up outside his house two grey 'customs' vehicles sped up the drive and ordered us out of the car. They took out the 5 cartons ofciggies and accused us of smuggling. They were not interested in my story about the cigarettes being brought in legally to Thailand and one smart-arsed xxxx just kept shrugging his shoulders and saying "I no see 5 people - I see only 2 people and 5 cartons of cigarettes".

Obviously some discussion and debate took place. We established that the going rate for a 'smuggling' fine was 35,000 Baht. It seemed that 28,000 might be acceptable. My suggestion to the missus to give them 2,000 Baht and tell them to f£$% off was not well received.

We also established that we could go to court (some time next week) but in the meantime te car could be impounded and I was concerned about the possibility of one, or both of us, being incarcerated.

To cut a long story a bit shorter, the missus finished up paying 14,355 Baht - which I discovered from talking to a friend (who had a friend go through this) was something of a result.

Here we go then - what did I do wrong?

Edited by metisdead

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who dobbed you in?

At the border market there is a"snitch". He is well known to the Falangs and I thought he was perhaps a Cambodian who earned a 'cut' on tip offs.

I now believe he is Thai and maybe part of the customs team. Cannot be 100% sure but I think he followed me back towards Prakhonchai, saw me drop off the family members and then waited while we had our meal. I am pretty certain that as I got into my car he was lurking at a nearby Thai shop. He wasn't wearing his customary woolly hat but I thought he looked very similar (regrettably the Penny did not drop at this point!). I guess he must have phoned the local Customs guys because they came from the amphur offices just outside Prakhonchai. Prakhonchai is about 40km from the border market.

He could not have been certain that the ciggies had not been taken taken by the family but I guess there is a very probability that the fags would finish up in the Falangs possession.

Next time I go I am thinking about buying 5 cartons of fags, walking up to the 'snitch' and saying "Look, I have another 5 cartons - fancy a run out to Prakhonchai you b4stard?". This time I would leave each adult to take their own carton home and I would pick up at a later date !!

By the way, this is not just a Falang targeted thing - I have heard of several Thais being stopped - usually from the border at Chong Chom, and they usually have to pay a lot more than I did.

• Like 2

Just a scam .theives whether it was fake or genuine customs officials the 14000 baht was pocketed by them . This is the LOS .AND IT AINT SMILES

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just a scam .theives whether it was fake or genuine customs officials the 14000 baht was pocketed by them . This is the LOS .AND IT AINT SMILES

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Money paid over at Prakhonchai police station - I have a receipt.

Your point remains valid.

Next time I go I am thinking about buying 5 cartons of fags, walking up to the 'snitch' and saying "Look, I have another 5 cartons - fancy a run out to Prakhonchai you b4stard?". This time I would leave each adult to take their own carton home and I would pick up at a later date !!

Getting smart to the face of Thai criminals who are working with bent criminal officers.

Not advisable Jim.

Just take it as a lesson in how Thais really are.

Iknow, i know - I was just looking for some childish satisfaction out of this wai.gif

Maybe you were 'marked' at the point of sale since you bought 5 times the permitted amount.

Let you keep 2 packs of ciggies because that was the allowance for you and wife. As to the beer, obviously they were whisky drinkers..

Do not know what the official fine rates for 'smuggling' are, but since the op himself bought 5 times the allowance, distributed them to other people and the collected them on the Thai side he, in my view, guilty of smuggling.

Next time better to let each adult buy there own allowance and, as suggested,, collect from them the next day.

Each person came in with their single pack. Who is smuggling?

Maybe you were 'marked' at the point of sale since you bought 5 times the permitted amount.

Let you keep 2 packs of ciggies because that was the allowance for you and wife. As to the beer, obviously they were whisky drinkers..

Do not know what the official fine rates for 'smuggling' are, but since the op himself bought 5 times the allowance, distributed them to other people and the collected them on the Thai side he, in my view, guilty of smuggling.

Next time better to let each adult buy there own allowance and, as suggested,, collect from them the next day.

I understand your point and it is well made.

However, at the pointg of sale the vendor asked me how many people the purchase was for - hence the individually packed cartons.

Did I break the law ? - I ask this as a genuine question.

Edited by cardholder

But the people carrying the goods did not buy them. They were carrying them for someone else. ergo

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if

i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

ii) the quantity are reasonable; and

iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free
personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

• Like 1

not sure how that is relevant, it is legal to purchase as much as you want in country, the limitation is how much any individual can carry across the border

Not trying to start any arguments but I thought, maybe erroneously, that the duty free allowance had to belong to the person carrying it across the border, in this case it did not.

edit ..posted same time as PoorSucker above.

Edited by ThaidDown

But the people carrying the goods did not buy them. They were carrying them for someone else. ergo
Why should it matter who bought them? Each person was carrying their allowed amount. ergo .....

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if

i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

ii) the quantity are reasonable; and

iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free

personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

If for personal use,this can include smoking them, gifting them, or if so inclined, depostiting them where the sun don't shine!

Cardholder committed no criminal offence.

5 Adults passed through the border from Cambodia to Thailand, with their personal allowance of 1 carton of cigarettes each. It matters not who bought them on the Cambodian side.

Is there a lawyer in the house who will take this case on, and take the corrupt customs officials to court?

My brother in law, married to a Khmer went to Cambodia to visit the relatives and on his way back he did the same. Each adult of the group bought one carton of cigarettes. Back in Thailand the group split and he went on with his wife and the cigarettes. Shortly later police stopped him and fined him for smuggling. In his case it was 5000Thb, which is for him more than a month income. As you said before, Thais are targeted as well.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

In Europe the same. Customs can also stop you 40 clicks inland. If you have too much ciggies or booze in your car (exceeds the allowance for each person in the car), you get fined.

When you informed them you just dropped of 4 other familiesmembers, you still get fined. No any difference.