England Feat 'close To Ashes Win'

Third Test, Mumbai, day five:

England 400 & 191 beat India 279 & 100 by 212 runs

post-1263-1143028897_thumb.jpg

Andrew Flintoff and Duncan Fletcher were jubilant after England's triumph

England coach Duncan Fletcher believes tying a Test series in India with five first-choice players missing is almost as big as winning the Ashes.

"It's a huge, huge achievement. It's close to that Ashes win," he said.

"To draw 1-1 with India on any occasion would have been great. To have won in India would have been as good as beating Australia in England.

"But it's right up there. With four, five of six guys missing it's a tremendous achievement."

England's victory kept them just above India in second place in the ICC world rankings behind Australia, who they visit next November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4832008.stm

It was a good win but it can't take the sting out of a very dissapointing Winter. Comparing this test with the ashes is a little OTT.

There are many positives however to take out of the Winter if we can put the Pakistan debalcles down to a 'Post Ashes Hangover'

The form of Alistair Cook, Ian Bell, Owais Shah and Paul Collingwood with the bat when the old hands didn't fire.

Jim Anderson's decent showing in his one test.

Monty Panesar should be stuck with and allowed to learn his game in the Test arena as he shows promise despite an indifferent last test. England's biggest problem in the past has been dickering with spin bowlers. Now we have a promising youngster on our hands. If he Summers well we could have a confident and dangerous addition to our bowling attack.

Liam Plunkett and Ian Blackwell have been blooded but should play out the Summer with their counties.

Shaun Udal and Ashly Giles should remain on standby but get a 'thank you' for you their recent performances but also return to the county circuit.

It was a good win but it can't take the sting out of a very dissapointing Winter. Comparing this test with the ashes is a little OTT.

There are many positives however to take out of the Winter if we can put the Pakistan debalcles down to a 'Post Ashes Hangover'

The form of Alistair Cook, Ian Bell, Owais Shah and Paul Collingwood with the bat when the old hands didn't fire.

Jim Anderson's decent showing in his one test.

Monty Panesar should be stuck with and allowed to learn his game in the Test arena as he shows promise despite an indifferent last test. England's biggest problem in the past has been dickering with spin bowlers. Now we have a promising youngster on our hands. If he Summers well we could have a confident and dangerous addition to our bowling attack.

Liam Plunkett and Ian Blackwell have been blooded but should play out the Summer with their counties.

Shaun Udal and Ashly Giles should remain on standby but get a 'thank you' for you their recent performances but also return to the county circuit.

I wouldnt call the Pakistan series a debacle - Pakistan are a decent team and could well be challenging everyone home and away in 12 months or so!

My mate, Mo - at work - informs me, there are very strong rumours going through the Indian community in the UK, that the "bookies" got to the Indian team.

This final day collapse was so unusual and out of character, they mean there could be no other explanation.

Anyone hearing something similar?

My mate, Mo - at work - informs me, there are very strong rumours going through the Indian community in the UK, that the "bookies" got to the Indian team.

This final day collapse was so unusual and out of character, they mean there could be no other explanation.

Anyone hearing something similar?

I think highly unlikely - remember the indian team are superstars - comparible with top football players - with similar salaries to boot. After the way Cronje and Azurhudin fell from grace it just doesnt make sense why anyone would go that way!

Perhaps its easier for Indian fans to accept they were paid than completely out played!

We will be getting hammered in the one dayers though -

I think it was a fantastic achievement, touring in India is not easy. The whole country gets in your face 24 hours a day. I know because as Max Boyce says "I was there." If you haven't sat in a test crowd in India you can't imagine the insanity of it all. It's so intense you can't sit in the cheap seats and have to blagg your way into the posh areas just to survive.

The players must be virtual prisoners in there hotel rooms. If they step outside they will be mobbed by huge crowds instantly no matter where they go. It's very easy for negative minds and unrest to set in when your touring India. To hold the team together was huge I thought Flintoff was imense in the tests, particularly his Captaincy and batting.