First Ride In Many Years

jonnyscot

A wee bit of humour in the topic title,, thankfully I posted it in the correct forum, I hope?

Following my topic a few weeks back "recommend a 2nd hand MTB" finally took the plunge and picked up a KHS Alite 1000, MTB, in immaculate condition,, didn't want a road bike because the seating position of the MTB feels more comfortable for me, could've chosen a hybrid,bike but, I'll see how things.

eager to get started I got the wife to drop me off on the way home from picking up the bike and managed only 15k averaging 26kph before I had to pull up I felt absolutely drained, most likely i think because of the heat, fair enough it was getting on to the warmest part of the day, but thought I'd manage a bit more than that,, although I'm a wee bit overweight now at 179cm and 88kgs, the extra weight in carrying I suppose could've been a contributing factor, but hey, this is why I bought the bike to lose some unwanted kgs.

I've motivated myself by earlier agreeing to join the local bike club on their next 60k bike run in 2 weeks time, although I'd assume they plan their start time for a cooler time of day,

I'm planning to build up the kilometres each day, maybe tomorrow I'll try for 20 kilometre but early morning at a cooler time in the day.

but just wondering whether any of you regular cyclists have any other advice on how best to feel more comfortable with the weather??

I did purchase a pair of padded shorts and a cycling top,, I've never used any of those drinks or energy bars or any of that stuff,, would these help ?

Maybe I'm expecting to run before I can walk so to speak, although I was a regular MTBer many years back and did a lot of running until recently, but admittedly this last year I've let myself slip mainly due to a change in job.

anyway any advice/recommendations appreciated

Thanks

Jonny

Jonny<br />Don't be discouraged. I started riding about 5 years ago on a MTB doing less than 20km/day. I just returned from a trip to Singapore with a friend covering over 3500kms in 2.5 months on a Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bike. It will take time to build up your endurance so don't rush it. I'm 67 y/o and don't plan to stop cycling anytime soon. I don't use energy bars but I do consume drinks like M-Sport and Sponsor both of which are widely available here in Thailand. I carry 2 Polar brand insulated water bottles with me, one filled with cold water and the other I add Zero Brand electrolyte tablets. The Zero tablets have no calories and taste good when mixed in a bottle of cold water. I also add ice to both bottle as the insulation will keep things cool for a couple of hours.<br />I suggest you don't try to keep up with the faster riders and seek a pace you're comfortable with. I normally ride every Sunday with a local group of riders here in Udon Thani who generally ride about 20-22kph. I generally ride 18-20kph. They know I'm a slow rider and wait for me to catch up when they break. It doesn't both me to ride slow and you shouldn't feel bad riding slow either especially when you're just starting out. I would also suggest you ride as early in the day as possible as the temps are low. Cloudy days are also good days as the clouds help keep the temps down.

Well done on that long ride, that's certainly given me added motivation, now I see some of my problems,, I think I'll need to slow down a bit for starters, difficult as I've always been a competitive sort of person and used to push myself to the limit, so much so that I used to virtually collapse after each run, guess I'll have to try slowing the speed and pacing myself a bit better, I'm now over 50 myself, I'll maybe try some of those drinks and see if that helps. I'm looking forward to the bike run in a couple weeks, I'll give it a go anyway, don't know what the average speed some of those people in the club do, but I see most of them also have the MTB's rather than the racing type, hopefully I'll manage to not lose sight of them otherwise I'll most likely get lost and the wife and daughter will have the search party out,,, hehehe

Good advice already about re-hydrating and time of day to start. I get out about 5.30am as it's cooler. One thing I would not be without and that is a rear-view mirror, especially for when riding alone. I also carry a large chain with very heavy padlock which I wrap around the cross-bar and the seat stalk. Useful for security and any dogs if necessary!

I am always amused to see Thais dressed for the Tour-de-France when they cycle, with gloves, helmets, cycling vests and shorts and shoes, but they never wear a helmet on their motorcycles!

The helmet issue may tell you a bit about the "intelligence level" of motorcyclists who think they are protected from harm as long as they honk their horn at every shrine they see.

Good advice about the mirror I never go anywhere without one.

You've got to pace yourself and let the group leader know you are new to cycling and cannot ride fast. Any group leader worth his salt will make sure you're ok along the way. The guys I ride with ALWAYS know where I'm at and one will usually fall back to ride with me. I'm not ashamed of my abilities/inabilities at all and am not afraid to remind myself and others that I can ride with a full load of 4 panniers and bar bag for upwards of 100kms per day just not at 25kph.

Electrolyte drinks and water are important especially in the hot weather as a shortage of which could cause you to pass out. Not an exciting thought when riding a bicycle.

For dogs I spray them with water from my water bottle. It works every time because they don't know what's in the water. For the occasional stubborn mutt I'm getting real good with planting my left foot right in its mouth.

I'll take heed of the tip re the mirror, that thought crossed my mind on my first effort on the bike, especially when having to pull out when there's no left hand lane crossing the bridges, just bought some royal-D electrolyte powder sachets from the local pharmacy tonight, they didn't have any of those tablets that you mentioned but I suppose they'll do the job,

thanks guys,

Jonny

Some great bits of advice. I've previously been a keen long distance cyclist, and now just staring to take it up again. But in the intervening few years since I stopped, the stomach has grown, and I now weigh 135kgs. When I went out yesterday on a route to our local town that I used to take on my laid back looking chopper - as its the only bike strong enough to carry me, several locals waved and cheered. As thais do they are always keen to tell me what a big porker I've become.

Anyway I rode the 7klms into town, no problem, but coming home I thought the seat was a bit lower and my reach to the handlebars longer. Looked down to see that the 1"+ high tensile steel seat tube had given up under the bulk above, and bent almost at a right angle. Long walk back through town to the bike shop. They all thought it was very funny. Bike repaired, rode home all's well. But I' very happy to be cycling again, and perhaps I'll lose the weight now. So for all you reborn cyclists - just go for it !

• Like 2

Tim

Certainly your weight is a problem. However, it's not the primary problem which caused the bike failure. I'm 95kgs and I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker made from 4130 Chrome Moly Steel without any problems. To my own weight I also carried more than 30 kgs of luggage in 4 panniers, a seat bag and a bar bag. I carried this for over 3500kms from my home in Udon Thani to Singapore without so much as a hint of a problem with the frame, seat tube, wheels or tires. I would recommend you look at a better bike. For reference purposes before I bought my currrent bike I rode an aluminum framed Merrida for many years also without a hitch covering many more kms than the 3500kms mentioned above. High tensile steel is not very strong.

I'm disappointed I cant make that 60km run now,, sitting in the huffs at the airport waiting on my flight back to west Africa for work,, I got less than 2 weeks of what was supposed to be a 5 week break at home,, but certainly I'll be getting back in the saddle as soon as I arrive home again,, hopefully I'll join the club for their next ride after I get back,,

Mike,

The chopper is only to get me used to the idea of riding again. I also have a Merida - great bike but I'm not ready for it yet. Good recommendation about the Surly long haul trucker. I'm looking for a secondhand one or a Trek 520 as both seem to get good all round reviews.

Both are great bikes. I'm not sure about second hand ones but the Surly is available from the BKK distributor at a very reasonable price. I bought the frame for 13,000Baht and assembled the rest from my old Merida. I then bought the components from an LA bike from my local dealer (he kept the frame) and I sold the Merida with the new components. My current Surly is a sweet ride for long distances especially when weighted down.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

No problem Tim. I know exactly what you mean about Singapore. I just returned from a Udon Thani to Singapore bicycle trip with a friend. Quite a contrast between Thailand/Malaysia & Singapore. Of course the cost of living is also significantly higher.

• Like 1