Controversial? Sedating Kids On Long Haul Flights

ill be flying with my 11 month old and this is what ill be doing.

giving her some calpol before take just in case her ears hurt and she is in pain,i don't give a dam if somebody gets upset if she cries as long as i know she is ok, and the first person to say something or give me a crooked look will have a problem.

i will also give her some glycerine & aniseed on her soother when taking off and landing. its great stuff fro keeping kids quite,tasty too.

sedating kids is wrong whatever way you look at it

That is the whole problem with many parents. It is great to make sure your child is happy and healthy, but when you brought her into the world, this was not the only responsibility you took on.

what are the other responsibility's i took on?My child is my number 1 concern, by doing what i said i was going to do,my child should be happy and not disturb other passengers and there will be no need to sedate her.if passengers cannot put up with a child crying for a portion of a flight,what sort of parents are they going to be

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

giving her some calpol before take just in case her ears hurt and she is in pain,i don't give a dam if somebody gets upset if she cries as long as i know she is ok, and the first person to say something or give me a crooked look will have a problem.

i will also give her some glycerine & aniseed on her soother when taking off and landing. its great stuff fro keeping kids quite,tasty too.

That is the whole problem with many parents. It is great to make sure your child is happy and healthy, but when you brought her into the world, this was not the only responsibility you took on.

what are the other responsibility's i took on?My child is my number 1 concern, by doing what i said i was going to do,my child should be happy and not disturb other passengers and there will be no need to sedate her.if passengers cannot put up with a child crying for a portion of a flight,what sort of parents are they going to be

Some of us aren't parents and never want to be, that is our choice. Your choice was to be a parent, so act like one.

Some of us aren't parents and never want to be, that is our choice. Your choice was to be a parent, so act like one.

i don't get your point,did you not read my posts or did you just jump in head first

Truly amazing to even read that. What other responsibilities did you take on? Your attitude is of the quintessential inconsiderate parent, of which there are many. You can't make an argument saying "what kind of parents will you be if you don't want to hear a baby cry". That is under an assumption all will be a parent.

Anyway, I will answer your question. I am not saying you should drug your child, but you should put the utmost effort into trying to quiet and control them. That is your job as a parent. Your kids aren't the problem of other people, as so many of you parents seem to think. You seem to feel entitled because you are tired and run down or something. Well, that is the choice you made. You need to man (or woman) up and deal with it, just like the poster above this post mentions. He has a great attitude.

Edited by utalkin2me

Truly amazing to even read that. What other responsibilities did you take on? Your attitude is of the quintessential inconsiderate parent, of which there are many. You can't make an argument saying "what kind of parents will you be if you don't want to hear a baby cry". That is under an assumption all will be a parent.

Anyway, I will answer your question. I am not saying you should drug your child, but you should put the utmost effort into trying to quiet and control them. That is your job as a parent. Your kids aren't the problem of other people, as so many of you parents seem to think. You seem to feel entitled because you are tired and run down or something. Well, that is the choice you made. You need to man (or woman) up and deal with it, just like the poster above this post mentions. He has a great attitude.

see your point is totally wrong. the only responsibilities i took on when becoming a parent was to look after my child and if you read the post again you will see the actions i will take will help my child not cry and disturb other people. i wont be tired or drinking and will do everything i can to stop her from crying,if she does then there is nothing i can do but comfort her.please read my post more carefully,

If you are an adult

Sedate yourself.

Years ago, flying long haul from west coast to Japan, there were very few young children in tow.

It was mostly business passengers, as I recall.

The airlines should really make more of an effort to put children and family in an area of the plane where they will be least annoying to other passengers, but this is difficult to do when most planes in Asia are packed.

I just carry a letter from my "physician" stating that I cannot be exposed to screaming children, or the risk of being exposed to these ankle biters. If I see a few around, I will ask to either be moved or get off the plane. I will not sit for 15 hours next to one of these, these, these..... behaviorally maladapted little people.

Let us not forget that some children really do have behavior disorders which can cause them to scream without letup for 2 and 3 hours at a time. How they are physically able to do this, is still a mystery to science.

Disembark the plane is sometimes the only solution.

"And btw my main gripe is the plonkers who can't get out of their seat without pulling back on the seat in front. What's that all about? I don't do it!!"

Flying C class or First

Why would you do it?

I never fly coach

All children in C class or First

Should be thrown out on their ear

And I never

Never

Sit at the children's table at dinner.

Edited by OldChinaHam

The airlines should really make more of an effort to put children and family in an area of the plane where they will be least annoying to other passengers, but this is difficult to do when most planes in Asia are packed.

They do. Parents with babies sit in the seats next to the bulkhead, where cots attach to the wall. Book seats to the rear of the plane if you're likely to be disturbed.

Good advice. Also, I think my point was to fly first class or business class on all long haul flights, if for nothing other than to improve one's chances of not being next to toddlers, even if not avoiding tipplers. As I mentioned, there are children who are not capable of getting through the day without being subject to rage episodes. What do you do about these unfortunate children, just ask them not to fly? Most grow out of this involuntary behavior by the time they are 5 or 6, as far as I know.

You know, if it came to a choice between them flying me air cargo in a box, and sitting next to some of these noise makers, I would choose the box and a liter of Bushmills. Surely someone who enjoys reading should understand my greatest fear of flying.

see your point is totally wrong. the only responsibilities i took on when becoming a parent was to look after my child and if you read the post again you will see the actions i will take will help my child not cry and disturb other people. i wont be tired or drinking and will do everything i can to stop her from crying,if she does then there is nothing i can do but comfort her.please read my post more carefully,

YOU said "i don't give a dam if somebody gets upset if she cries".

If you want to recant, that is fine. You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you take all the precautions you can to quiet that creature, not matter how tired you are or hard it is, you DO in fact care, right?

Here is my main point, sorry if I was not clear (and sorry about my font, it wont let me change it!). Parents should be 100% vigilant and giving all their energy to making sure their kids behave and don't bother others. We all know this isn't the case. Parents tend to get lazy, and feel entitled to "let their child go" a little all the time. I don't think that is right at all. I am sick of it to be honest. If you have a kid, deal with it, and don't let it become other people's problem.

Sedating Kids On Long Haul Flights

The fun begins when you need to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency. Same-same for the adults who've drunk themselves into oblivion.

a friend and his mother boarded a flight from LA to jo burg, each took a halcyon and had to be wheelchaired off when the flight did not take off due to a mechanical issue they could not manage to fix.

"a friend and his mother boarded a flight from LA to jo burg, each took a halcyon and had to be wheelchaired off when the flight did not take off due to a mechanical issue they could not manage to fix."

Do you mean after taking the halcion, they were too plastered to fix anything?

Please do not forget that in the US, it was often common practice to feed paregoric to children to keep them quiet.

A little tincture of opium can sometimes be very useful once in a while, and there is probably very little downside to it.

Infants get the cribs attached to the planes bulkheads, next to the TOILETS!!
Children and family's are put up front there also.
These are the worst seats on the plane for disturbance!!!

Also on the subject of subsidised childrens tickets- if you have tried to book tickets for children then you'd know that the price is similar to the adult fair.

So the members who are complaining about the odd cry from a baby really need to be aware of the facts before shooting from the hip.

CCC

I don't think most of us are bothered by an "odd cry". A baby gets hungry, starts to cry and it takes the mother a few minutes to get a bottle in his mouth. That doesn't bother me. Kids kicking the seat, endlessly opening and closing the tray table, running up and down the aisles, crawling under the seats, climbing over my seat, pulling my hair, throwing things and screaming for more than an hour are what bother me.

I don't understand what is wrong with giving a kid a small dose of cold medicine (unless that is against your religion or beliefs). You give it to them when they are sick, right? The cold medicine doesn't cure the cold, it only makes them feel better and sleep. When kids get sick they cry because they are over tired, uncomfortable, and cranky. On an airplane kids cry for the same reason. A little bit of something to help them be more comfortable doesn't sound so bad to me.

I was on a flight IAD to NRT, 13 hours. There was an older guy with a baby. He put the baby in the crib and it started to cry so he put on noise cancelling head phones and ignored it. That kid cried for almost the entire flight. The flight attendants (ANA) took turns holding and rocking the baby, but they couldn't do that the entire fight. What a miserable experience for that baby. It was hard to believe how LONG he could cry. It might have been pressure on his ears to make him scream for so long and not sleep like most babies do. I can't help but believe that if he had been given a little baby allergy medicine it might have opened up his airways a little and put him to sleep. 13 hours is a long time for a baby to be in that kind of pain.

What I'm getting from this thread is most parents would rather have a miserable screaming kid making everyone elses trip a nightmare than make their kid comfortable.

Parents who have good kids, we're not talking to you. Quit being so defensive. If your kid isn't bothering us chances are we don't notice them and they aren't the subject of sedation.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

I don't think most of us are bothered by an "odd cry". A baby gets hungry, starts to cry and it takes the mother a few minutes to get a bottle in his mouth. That doesn't bother me. Kids kicking the seat, endlessly opening and closing the tray table, running up and down the aisles, crawling under the seats, climbing over my seat, pulling my hair, throwing things and screaming for more than an hour are what bother me.

YES! And if this is the case, and you aren't stopping it, that is the issue most of us have really. I can only speak for myself actually, but you have stated exactly how I feel. Why does a kid need to pull my hair 5 times? Did the parent not see one of those times? Do they not care to stop it? Either way, I think it is grossly negligent.

Just when this thread started to die.....

For all of our more thoughtful members who posted that children should be put in the cargo hold - you are not alone!!!

'Babies belong in the hold': Clarkson sparks controversy after airline tweet

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has prompted a strong reaction after suggesting that children should be stashed in the luggage hold during flights.

Following a flight to Scotland earlier this month Mr Clarkson tweeted: "When will British Airways realise that babies belong in the hold?"

Justine Roberts of the website Mumsnet responded to his comments in the Mail on Sunday, saying: "There are plenty of Mumsnet users hoping British Airways will realise Jeremy Clarkson belongs in the hold."

The presenter acknowledged the vociferous response, saying "I have sparked FURY at the Mail for saying babies should travel in a plane's hold."

"Mine didn't fly till they were old enough to behave."

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for BA told the Mail: "We welcome families, including infants, in all cabins."

Full article here: http://m.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/babies-belong-in-the-hold-clarkson-sparks-controversy-after-airline-tweet-20130520-2jvrv.html#more

• Like 1

For all of our more thoughtful members who posted that children should be put in the cargo hold - you are not alone!!!

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has prompted a strong reaction after suggesting that children should be stashed in the luggage hold during flights.

Following a flight to Scotland earlier this month Mr Clarkson tweeted: "When will British Airways realise that babies belong in the hold?"

Justine Roberts of the website Mumsnet responded to his comments in the Mail on Sunday, saying: "There are plenty of Mumsnet users hoping British Airways will realise Jeremy Clarkson belongs in the hold."

The presenter acknowledged the vociferous response, saying "I have sparked FURY at the Mail for saying babies should travel in a plane's hold."

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for BA told the Mail: "We welcome families, including infants, in all cabins."

Full article here: http://m.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/babies-belong-in-the-hold-clarkson-sparks-controversy-after-airline-tweet-20130520-2jvrv.html#more

Yeah, Clarkson's a tedious, attention-seeking cock-end who appeals to the lowest calibre of moron in Britain.

Yeah, Clarkson's a tedious, attention-seeking cock-end who appeals to the lowest calibre of moron in Britain.
He's a petrol head who inhales to much of the vapor.

Who does however, from time to time voice the opinions of The Man On The Street which entertains me and even better is that it gets up some peoples noses.

• Like 2

Who does however, from time to time voice the opinions of The Man On The Street which entertains me and even better is that it gets up some peoples noses.

At last, the voice of reason. This is also why I love it when he comes out with these obviously outrageous comments - because it really does get up peoples noses.
  • Like 1

Only if you believe that The Man On The Street is a risible fool. I don't.

Only if you believe that The Man On The Street is a risible fool. I don't.

But I have no delusions of grandeur and appreciate his "Man on The Street Views" as opposed to some trendy lefty PC correctness.

• Like 1