What Is Your Secret Wish For Chiang Mai ?

orang37

Sawdusted Cupcakes, TV CM Friends,

I found ourselves thinking today ... fantasizing really ... about what I wished Chiang Mai might have.

Two visions crowded the two of me:

A once-a-year day called "I Love Chiang Mai Day," where everywhere you went and saw a Farang, you'd see them in a beautiful t-shirt that had those words on it, front, and back, in Thai ("Rak Muang Chiang Mai"), and English. This t-shirt would be designed via a design contest open to everyone in Chiang Mai, perhaps via a web-site. Perhaps (in an ideal world) this could be done by a non-profit, and all profits donated to various Chiang Mai charities.

Submerging deeper into utopian fantasia, I envisioned that everywhere in Chiang Mai, on that day, Farangs would wave to each other, whenever they met, or passed on the sidewalk, and sing-out ... you know what.

Second, I would wish that Chiang Mai had a vibrant "Open University" where Farangs could, legally, offer free courses for Thai and Farang.

Well, from the comfort of such cozy dream fuzz-balls, so distant from the shore of reality ... I bid you a beauteous day.

I look forward to hearing your dreams !

~o:37;

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re

o 37

A once-a-year day called "I Love Chiang Mai Day," where everywhere you went and saw a Farang, you'd see them in a beautiful t-shirt

already done by the harri crishnas at the flower festival : )

electrified

35% of the expat population to leave and go home.

ok .. on thai airways .. bye bye .. sob sob : (

diamond king

This site gets sadder by the day

hes right : (

just joshin .. dave2

post-42592-0-45513500-1368443493_thumb.j

post-42592-0-15403600-1368443535_thumb.j

post-42592-0-76017500-1368443565_thumb.j

What Chiangmai (desperately) needs:

a: a car free center, like this has great effects on many European cities. Some roads open for delivery trucks from 2am - 7am, then only for pedestrians by automated roadblocks, they work great in Europe. All motorized traffic, including taxi's, motorbikes etc. to be banned from large parte of the center. High fines for trespassers, 10.000b for a car or truck and 5.000b for a motorbiks, to be paid immediately or vehicle to be confiscated, eventually shredded when fine not being payed within one month.

b: sidewalks to be managed (eventually confiscated) by the government/city management and all made wheelchair friendly, this means they become convenient and safe for pedestrians as well and all items like phoneboots, advertisement signs, traffic signs to be removed, trafficsigns to be replaced to the side.

c: all songteaws (red taxis) older then 15 years to be destroyed immediately, owners to give free modernized samlors (bicycle taxis) as compensation. all newer songteaws must have a carbonfilter installed within 3 months, otherwise being fined for 50.000b, or to be shredded within 3 months.

d: samlor plan, adding 500-1000 modernized samlors (bicycletaxis) to the city,

e: all dirty building fronts to be painted within 6 months, fine for ignoring 100.000b.

f: removal of incapable/ignorant citymanagement, to be replaced by professionals.

g: montly publication of the cityplan and improvements and everyting involved.

h: personality tests for policemen, corrupt ones to be sacked.

i: city management working with foreign volunteers.

j: etc. etc. Chiangmai CAN become a great city !

Modern bicycle taxi, they have them in many countries, why not in Thailand ? Lift your ass and move your feet lazy songtaew/tuktuk driver ! smile.png

bicycle-taxi.png

Now that's what i call really dreaming !!

Move the airport to San Kamphaeng. Convert the entire old airport area to a lake with beautiful sand beaches.

Aren't they already doing that?

They're trying to as the Shins are reported to own all the land there (here we go again!)

What Chiangmai (desperately) needs:

a: a car free center, like this has great effects on many European cities. Some roads open for delivery trucks from 2am - 7am, then only for pedestrians by automated roadblocks, they work great in Europe. All motorized traffic, including taxi's, motorbikes etc. to be banned from large parte of the center. High fines for trespassers, 10.000b for a car or truck and 5.000b for a motorbiks, to be paid immediately or vehicle to be confiscated, eventually shredded when fine not being payed within one month.

b: sidewalks to be managed (eventually confiscated) by the government/city management and all made wheelchair friendly, this means they become convenient and safe for pedestrians as well and all items like phoneboots, advertisement signs, traffic signs to be removed, trafficsigns to be replaced to the side.

c: all songteaws (red taxis) older then 15 years to be destroyed immediately, owners to give free modernized samlors (bicycle taxis) as compensation. all newer songteaws must have a carbonfilter installed within 3 months, otherwise being fined for 50.000b, or to be shredded within 3 months.

d: samlor plan, adding 500-1000 modernized samlors (bicycletaxis) to the city,

e: all dirty building fronts to be painted within 6 months, fine for ignoring 100.000b.

f: removal of incapable/ignorant citymanagement, to be replaced by professionals.

g: montly publication of the cityplan and improvements and everyting involved.

h: personality tests for policemen, corrupt ones to be sacked.

i: city management working with foreign volunteers.

j: etc. etc. Chiangmai CAN become a great city !

Modern bicycle taxi, they have them in many countries, why not in Thailand ? Lift your ass and move your feet lazy songtaew/tuktuk driver ! smile.png

bicycle-taxi.png

I take it you own a shredder machine and are trying to drum up business.giggle.gif

The modernized samlors In my opinion would be just as they are except the covering on the back would be higher allowing a 360 degree view with out having to scrunch down.

If that picture is a bike it would take a lot of practice for the driver and the rider along with the offset build of the bike itself to stop it from falling over. It looks more like a trike to me. Now that I think of it no silly looking contraptions like that picture allowed in public.

All sidewalks to have a minimum of 1and 1/2 meter clear walkway preferably 2 meter. It would also be nice to have bicycle lanes all over the city with strict penalties strictly inforced for motor bikes using them. This would encourage people to ride bikes more often and give them a safer place to do it

When I stop to think of it they would have to tear the city down and start all over to accomplish these goals and still leave room for traffic.

Maybe we ought to stick to the I love Chiang Mai T shirts. Perhaps with a map of Thailand on it and Chiang Mai location with a big circle. Maybe a small circle for Bangkok location. Wouldn't want any one to think Bangkok was to important. No other cities on it.rolleyes.gif

I don't know, I talk freely about an MRT, ot having a police force that actually works and gives a damn. A government that looks at the environment as something to protect vs rape.

I guess my secret wish is for some clubs/bars/restaurants would start having a dress code. No wife beaters, sandals, or boarding shorts, mind you only some places, not a city wide ban on it. Wouldn't mind a fine for wearing no shirt in public unless doing manual labor.

I actually wouldn't want to change all that much; it's moving along just fine. But if I had to pick two, then these:

And:

No Smokey Season.

Also, we need more gogo bars.

• Like 1

Somehow being able to instill in all a sense of how wonderful the natural envirionment is without seeing it terms of it being either the enemy or in baht terms so it can be protected for our grandkids and their grandkids. .

And with the built envirionment a sense that it can be both aesthetic and functional and that all residents and visitors will take pride in the beauty of the Chiang Mai Valley and surrounding mountians.

Hopeless dreamer i am !

• Like 1