Always Check With Railways.

Recently arrive at Surattani station at 0045 to catch the 0125 train to Butterworth only to find there was a 3 hr delay. Train eventually arrived at 0545 am. Late in my bunk very tired ! but was woken up by a very "loud mouthed" Chinese/Tai lady who had boarded at Bangkok, had a full nights sleep getting up at 0630 and proceeding to babble on constantly to her partner apparently attempting to be louder than the bogies underneath. She could see that almost everyone else were trying to sleep ! Because of the late arrival at the border we were all disembarked and put on a bus to Butterworth, the northbound passengers were bussed up and waiting to board so that the scheduled trip could be met. Very tiring trip indeed, think i will fly next time

• Like 1

So pray tell us all oldsailor35, why travel at night in Thailand when it is too dark to see this Great Country?

I drive during daylight hours, I see and photo quite a lot in my years here.

Win thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kan Win

So pray tell us all oldsailor35, why travel at night in Thailand when it is too dark to see this Great Country?

Win thumbsup.gif

Perhaps because he chooses to? "Pray tell us all", why the condescending tone to your post?

• Like 1

I've checked on a few trips I'd like to make by rail, and they all seem to be scheduled overnight. I guess the idea is to sleep on the train and get there the next morning.

But, like you, I prefer to travel slowly during the day and see the sights. So I fly, when I would have preferred a train ride.

Oldsailer, my heart goes out to you on your "neighbor". A recent thread goes into great detail describing the misery of flying with screaming kids. But I'd rather have a screaming kid than a loudmouth adult any day.

• Like 1

Win thumbsup.gif

Perhaps because he chooses to? "Pray tell us all", why the condescending tone to your post?

And in witch part of me post was that then blink.png ? "Pray tell us all" member coffee1.gif

Win w00t.gif

Mr. Kan Win may be right after all.

Last year i decided to travel by train from BKK to Chiang Mai at night.

After spending quite some money on overpriced beer Leo, and socializing a bit with fellow travellers, at about 2 am i was fully ready to enjoy my couch, only to be woken up by bunch of screaming Danish with wives and kids, who had jumped on the train somewhere around Sukhotai. ( nothing against the Danish, in general they seem to be civilized people )

I will not do that again, a very disappointing trip.

• Like 1

Sorry Mr Kan Win, but i was unable to get Thai Rail to change their schedule to accommodate my travel during day light hours. Had all gone to schedule i would have travelled down the Thai leg in 4 hrs of darkness, the remaining 8 hrs from Hat Yai in daylight and the opposite on the return journey. There, does that satisfy your curiosity. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Here's another little bit of advice for first timers going south from Bangkok. Do not think you can get a decent meal in the restaurant car, it is absolutely crap ! and overpriced, so forget it! However at Hat Yai a number of ladies boarded with very good food for sale. Also nearing the border a concern was cleared up for me when a money changer boarded offering very good rates.

It's not always possible to take the long train trips during the day, they are often overnight

I rarely get a 'proper' sleep on the trains anyway, even on the sleepers. I am always kind of disappointed when that guy comes along and makes the beds up ... I prefer the chairs and looking at the window with a couple of drinks sad.png

Why not simply have a polite word with her along the lines of: "Excuse me, everyone is trying to sleep including myself. Could you talk quietly please?" It might not work, but it usually does. They tend to get fed up of whispering after a while and get the idea.

Same goes for the Danes.