Money Saving Tip, Turn Off Your Pump Timer

stevehaigh

my pump timer s&%t the bed about 6 weeks ago and i have yet to get around to fixing it. so i turn the pump on and off manually.

but been lazy, i started leaving it longer and longer between pumps and now i have found that i can leave my pool for 1 week without any problems at all.

so now, i add chlorine once a week and run the pump all night (about 10hrs) once a week and the pool is perfect and using, i guess, a few baht a month in electric

i'm sure some of you will tell me this is a bad idea, but it works great for me and saves money so i'm sticking with it

Edited by stevehaigh

This does sound as you are storing up a problem for the future. The water really needs to be circulated to ensure even chlorine distribution. Maybe if the pool is used a lot, then this is taking care of the circulation for you.

I am also surprised you add chlorine just once a week. Are you using liquid chlorine or pucks/granules?

• 2 weeks later...

This does sound as you are storing up a problem for the future. The water really needs to be circulated to ensure even chlorine distribution. Maybe if the pool is used a lot, then this is taking care of the circulation for you.

I am also surprised you add chlorine just once a week. Are you using liquid chlorine or pucks/granules?

i'm using granulated chlorine and 1 time per week is easily enough to keep it clean. i put it in when i turn on the pump so it does get circulated.

i use about 1 liter of chlorine and the pool is 9x4

i do have the pool well shaded so the water stays cool which also helps

anyhow, i suggest anyone wanting to save a bit of money try my idea. what's the worst that can happen.

I tried to do the same but the house we rent has pool maintenance as part of the rental. The company comes in 3 times a week to clean and service etc. I turn the pump off but they come and turn it on again. I tried to explain what I was trying to do but oh no, they cannot do that because the owner not happy if pool/pump/water go kaput.

I still manage to save some power consumption but not as much as I'd like. I suspect that one day soon the pool maintenance company will override the manual setting as there were two blokes looking at the switches last week and I suspect that was there plan.....devious little buggers!!

Don't pay the maid or clean your house either. That'll save more money. No need to incur all that pumping cost for flushing the toilet either. :-)

Pumping costs can be eliminated by stealing a bucket of water from the neighbour's pool to flush your bog. ;-)

• Like 1

i'm using granulated chlorine and 1 time per week is easily enough to keep it clean. i put it in when i turn on the pump so it does get circulated.

anyhow, i suggest anyone wanting to save a bit of money try my idea. what's the worst that can happen.

Adding that granulated chlorine once per week is going to give you a chlorine spike just after it's been added, and it will likely drift down close to zero after 7 days. Better to add a smaller dose every other day. Why not replace that timer as well - surely around B1000 max?

Running the pump is not very expensive. You probably have 1 hp? Running it 3 - 4 hours per day will likely cost less than B1000 per month.

Worst that can happen - a green unsanitised pool.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/617814-even-the-doc-gets-nailed/