Why Is It So Damned Hard To Get Staff?

raro

Again, the problem here is not retaining staff but getting them to sign up in the first place. Where to recruit them?

Many Thais find jobs, or apartments, or whatever by walking around, perhaps randomly. Do it the Thai way and put a sign out easily visible from the street w/ salary ranges.

The Tahitian Queen Go-Go has some incredibly long-serving staff. Might be a good case study. smile.png

I agree, and had forgotten about this, recently some friends in town put up a sign outside their restaurant and they had many locals enquire. I think I will try the same before I hit the radio advertising

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the problem here is not retaining staff but getting them to sign up in the first place. Where to recruit them?

Many Thais find jobs, or apartments, or whatever by walking around, perhaps randomly. Do it the Thai way and put a sign out easily visible from the street w/ salary ranges.

The Tahitian Queen Go-Go has some incredibly long-serving staff. Might be a good case study. smile.png

I agree, and had forgotten about this, recently some friends in town put up a sign outside their restaurant and they had many locals enquire. I think I will try the same before I hit the radio advertising

I have had a sign out for over 2 years and occasionally some pop in, though in 2 years did not employ anyone from those who poped in, but i might be picky smile.png

Many Thais find jobs, or apartments, or whatever by walking around, perhaps randomly. Do it the Thai way and put a sign out easily visible from the street w/ salary ranges.The Tahitian Queen Go-Go has some incredibly long-serving staff. Might be a good case study. :)

Mostly on stage!

Many Thais find jobs, or apartments, or whatever by walking around, perhaps randomly. Do it the Thai way and put a sign out easily visible from the street w/ salary ranges.The Tahitian Queen Go-Go has some incredibly long-serving staff. Might be a good case study. smile.png

Mostly on stage!

From the looks most of them were there already before the stage.

• Like 1

Have someone outside BigC, Tesco Lotus and other big shops handing out flyers to the people as they walk in / out.

Same could be said for the bigger markets like on Soi Buakhao twice a week.

I've seen similar things before, but not often.

I have found that:

1) Thais hate commissions. Commission means they must stay on the job long time and establish a customer base. There is no fun in that - only hard work. Therefore they will not do it.

2) If the job has zero "fun", Thais will not like it.

3) If the job does not overpay 1000% for doing nothing, Thais will not like it.

I have personally employer Cambodian workers for the last 6 years, and have been very very happy. But than my jobs do not require customer interactions and English skills.

Have you tried placing an add in a Thai Language news paper, or web forum ?

Ask some Thai friends what a good place.

Good Luck,

luudee

The Tahitian Queen Go-Go has some incredibly long-serving staff. Might be a good case study. Posted Image

Sorry, but I do not believe that Thais who are other than desperately poor walk, yes WALK, around perhaps RANDOMLY in the heat of the day looking for work or a place to stay! It just does not happen. They get jobs and rooms through friends, on the internet, through adverts. They wouldn't walk around randomly in the heat of the day to save their mothers from being eaten by polar bears.

They don't walk but they do go round on motorbikes looking.

I have found that:

1) Thais hate commissions. Commission means they must stay on the job long time and establish a customer base. There is no fun in that - only hard work. Therefore they will not do it.

and this has to be admired !

I wished westerners would show more resistance to being transformed into employees.

I have found that:

I have personally employer Cambodian workers for the last 6 years, and have been very very happy. But than my jobs do not require customer interactions and English skills.

Good Luck,

luudee

Nonsense. I have loyal Thai employees that have stayed for years. They work very hard when it is necessary and are being paid a reasonable salary - not a huge one. They do not like to work alone though. Most of them like to socialize.

I have found that:

Good Luck,

luudee

Nonsense. I have loyal Thai employees that have stayed for years. They work very hard when it is necessary and are being paid a reasonable salary - not a huge one. They do not like to work alone though. Most of them like to socialize.

Location plays a huge part on work ethics.

Not sure about Bangkok or other places but Pattaya is very bad and staff retention is terrible.

On 14th May I replied to your post, and said this "My Thai wife may be interested. Please PM me with details and she will see later. At the moment she is out on a sales round."

Have I heard from you? No.

This issue is actually everywhere in thailand not just pattaya.

1. Im sure Thai's did go back home but back home for domestic demand to generate jobs if its only thai customers there for that city or province wages will not rise. I say wait another 6 months for the real effect to kick in

2. sometimes its just best to have a thai deal with another thai on matters especially regarding employment, that being said just make sure the person you have knows what there doing

3. For job posting ive posted in front of my business, posted online, posted at big c, tesco.but all of that posting has been done only in thai. Ive found that matters most especially to certain positions

For all the issues with thai staff you better have a company policy in place. Ive found if there is no discipline in place you do see the types of issues you guys are talking about.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You don't have to worry about getting ligitated out of your existance, the Thais are experts at doing it without a lawyer.

After 30 years I am resigned to Chiang Rai as a fish and Mexican Pepper Farmer along with publishing my first book <snip> . This book explains what happens to you when you are in Thailand a long tim. <snip>

Edited by raro
a bit too much self promotion ;)

On 14th May I replied to your post, and said this "My Thai wife may be interested. Please PM me with details and she will see later. At the moment she is out on a sales round."

OP clearly hasn't got enough staff to monitor responses to his thread!biggrin.png

• Like 2

My daughter who has just finished university with good marks and first degree honours

who can speak and read,English,Thai,Mandarin,and has been looking for a job in hotel

or aviation industry.

She has had a couple of interviews for job as receptionist, trainee manager,and I feel

very sorry for her after 4 years of Uni,the wages offered and work hours are not on.

first hotel, bht 7k + 1K share of service charge pm, hours 1 -10 , 6 days a week.

2nd hotel 1k more same hours, is a 60 hour week normal?, anyway I am pleased to

say,she got the job she wanted in a 5 star hotel, wages 10k +1500 service charge,

anyway this will get her on the ladder,and been a good hard worker,honest,brought

up the right way,she will do ok.

What happen about the Governments promised 15K pm minimum for Uni graduates

regards Worgeordie

My daughter who has just finished university with good marks and first degree honours

who can speak and read,English,Thai,Mandarin,and has been looking for a job in hotel

or aviation industry.

She has had a couple of interviews for job as receptionist, trainee manager,and I feel

very sorry for her after 4 years of Uni,the wages offered and work hours are not on.

first hotel, bht 7k + 1K share of service charge pm, hours 1 -10 , 6 days a week.

say,she got the job she wanted in a 5 star hotel, wages 10k +1500 service charge,

anyway this will get her on the ladder,and been a good hard worker,honest,brought

regards Worgeordie

Everyone in the entire world starts on small salary after university and gradually moves up.

or aviation industry.

regards Worgeordie

Maybe it's a service industry thing, my eldest daughter has just finished her Bachelors degree in biotech and she was offered 15k at her first interview. She has now decided to stay on at Uni and complete her masters and maybe doctorate.

Good luck to your daughter.

or aviation industry.

regards Worgeordie

Everyone in the entire world starts on small salary after university and gradually moves up.

With a 60 Hour week ? regards Worgeordie

worgeordie, on 17 May 2013 - 20:17, said:

lemoncake, on 17 May 2013 - 19:26, said:

worgeordie, on 17 May 2013 - 18:51, said:

or aviation industry.

regards Worgeordie

With a 60 Hour week ? regards Worgeordie

You right, rookies usually get the best working hours with best working conditions and naturally highest pay
  • Like 1

My apologies, I must have overlooked that post! PM is out in a minute!

I have also sent a pm asking for details on how potential applicants can get more information about what is on offer here. Still waiting on a reply.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I have also sent a pm asking for details on how potential applicants can get more information about what is on offer here. Still waiting on a reply.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I answered you within 20 minutes or so, what's wrong with that?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Ok, it was 3.5 hours... Still, please relax I also have a life away from my computer...

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Ok, it was 3.5 hours... Still, please relax I also have a life away from my computer...

I wasn't trying to bash you. Was just trying to get further information in hopes of putting you in touch with some willing workers.

All is good. :)

My wife asked me after telling her about this thread, Why are farrangs asking farrangs how to get Thais to work for them why arn't they asking Thais?

Because Thais are not easy to ask...

- most don't speak english

- most don't read the english internet

I can only talk about my experience of searching ppl to work for me as programmers, webmasters or graphic designers.

I posted some offers on professional facegroup groups with more than 20.000 Thai followers, result: 0 Thai contacts, but 3 from Philipinos and 1 from China...

My wife asked me after telling her about this thread, Why are farrangs asking farrangs how to get Thais to work for them why arn't they asking Thais?

Your wife is pretty smart, why not ask your wife to ask her friends where?w00t.gif

Your wife is correct. If Thais can't get. Not only that between rice crops I am justified in staying drunk on free boooze at funerals, weddings, temple functions and when ever the OBT tells us to come and clap when someone from The Peoples Republic Of Bangkok comes to speak. This weekend The PRB came and did a big frigging blow out at a road in the mountain that parelles a good road that is already there but no houses on it. Also no local OBT supplied water in the mountain. We need these duplicate roads more than we need water and to patch the holes in the existing roads. How can I make any under the table money on patting holes with cold patch that last about 3 days. I need roads and bridges to make money. After 30 years living in 9 provinces everything changes but nothing ever changes. I am trying to horn in on the largest business here which is dirt hauling and I have been told to stay off the road. Not complaining but just telling it the way it is. No need for the newbies here who are supporting thier 3rd hand wife and her family to comment. Just keep the money rolling. The next woman may agree to no sin sot.

although it may appear like this, Thaivisa is restricted to farangs...

I asked around a lot in the Thai community I'm acquainted with but no results. Here, I got a bunch of referrals by PM, but no results yet. If you are out there and reading this, give me a call, you have my number.

Coincidentally, a Thai friend of mine came the other day out of the bush work and asked if we are still looking for sales. Hell, yes! :D

Guess they waited for a while to see whether we are still around after 2 months.

Never mind, we are planning to employ more sales, so keep them coming!