Thai Toddler Traveling Abroad Without Parents - Documents Required?

Thai friends have asked me to take their child (now 2 years old) to my home country for periods of several weeks each year to bolster the child's English fluency. I am a primary care-giver for the child, along with the parents, who both work full-time.

What documents do the Thai immigration authorities require so the child can travel abroad without his/her parents?

Thanks for any help on this.

you should first check with your Embassy regarding traveling w/minors from different families as well as the

Thai foreign ministry concerning this. I know for sure, the US is really strict about this, this can relate to something

like cross border child abduction if not carefully documented.

My wife and myself took my wifes niece on a holiday some yours ago and we got a letter in Thai & English from parents identifying myself and my wife as taking care of the child on the trip, purpose of the trip and copies of their Thai ID's and our passport etc attached....was never asked for any of this either end of the trip

Immigration now checks strictly to prevent human trafficking. if the child has a different last name than the persons traveling with normally they will now check to see everything is alright.

Written permission from the parents with signed copies of their ID-cards is very advisable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

Will check with the Thai passport office when we apply for the kid's passport, but your comments seem to say that just signed letters and copies of the parents' IDs will allow me to take the child out of Thailand.

For entrance into my home country, well, if the kid has a visa, I don't think they'll raise any objections, but will be sure they know the nature of the visit, as well.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Don't know about anywhere else but the UK border officials are tough on this issue. I would urge you check requirements with your home countries embassy.

Possession of a visa does not guarantee entry and in the UK at least there is a risk of the child being "removed" to a place of safety unless all documentation is in order. A note from the parents, on its own, I suspect will not be sufficient.