Bloomin Onion?

SurfRider

"This is surely meant to be shared buy a group of people?"

I would hope so, but nevertheless, it's always fun to read the knee-jerk off-topic opinions of the Nattering Snobs of Negativism on a subject like this . . . smile.png

Only two on-topic responses so far.

"This is surely meant to be shared buy a group of people?"

I would hope so, but nevertheless, it's always fun to read the knee-jerk off-topic opinions of the Nattering Snobs of Negativism on a subject like this . . . smile.png

Only two on-topic responses so far.

To be fair, you invited those responses by including this in your OP:- "Probably a heart attack on a plate..."

It's obesity on a plate!

The egg wash and deep frying preparation process of the blooming onion means it is high in calories. In round numbers, a human at rest expends about 2000 calories per day; a single blooming onion with dressing contains approximately 3,000 calories and 134 grams of fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

"What is it?"

It's an onion "appetizer" created by a restaurant in the USA. Supposedly serves 6 people, which puts the calories at around 500 (335 without dressing) and about 100 Baht per person at state-side prices -- Much cheaper here I'm sure, if it could be found - and obviously not intended to be daily fare. Probably not much different than a large order of onion rings.

Edited by SurfRider

Typically shared by two people in real life.

How many people typically share this dish in fantasy ? biggrin.png

One. No sharing! Like cake.

It's a marketing thing to soften the calorie news to suggest it is eaten by six people.

It's like products at the market that say 300 calories per serving and they list the serving size as absurdly tiny.

A trick. A ruse. A gimmick. A scam. You're gonna get fatter!

Edited by Jingthing

They have something similar at the Outback in Bangkok (top floor of the Siam Discovery Center) and, a better one I think, at Tony Roma's (bottom floor of Siam Paragon and at Terminal 21).

I agree Tony Romas does it better. Great "appetizer" I even like Ice cream and cake for "desert" Oh oh, I just admitted on line that I occasionally like excessive calories. Shame on me. biggrin.png .