Thai People & Pawn Shops

muythai2013

Many complaining about the topic as if they're compelled to post. Some of us are sick of reading the same complaints over and again. Contribute, or just leave the discussion to us newbies.

Admittedly the title is somewhat misleading, as the the topic is twofold, but so long as it's relevant to Thailand, why shouldn't it be posted?

Back to the topic -- I wonder how many women pawn their wedding gold? And if so, how soon after the wedding?

-

I don't think this is only among the gold-digger/hooker types, my perception is that most Thais not involved with farang would find this cultural idea of ourse a bit strange, that "wedding gold" would somehow be special, of sentimental value compared to other gold purchased for the purpose of storing value.

Yet another cultural difference that we should simply accept - any gift of any kind should be freely given with no strings attached and no expectations that the recipient no matter how strong the bond between you will treat it as anything but a cash-value asset to be freely converted to satisfy whatever need (or whim or addiction) they like.

That's the way it is TiT no reason to think such behavior reflects on poor "morality", just a cultural difference.

If I'm wrong and this is actually a signal that your partner doesn't really love you, is just a gold-digger or worse, then I'm happy to be corrected, and would consider such a clear signal to be of great value early on in the relationship, cheap at twice the price.

Anyone running off to ask their "but she's different, a better class of TG than most" SO about this issue should realize just like with belief in ghosts, or do you like to eat bugs etc, a Thai that is experienced with western ways is likely to give the answer s/he things you want to hear, doesn't mean it's actually the objective truth. . .

Back when we still dealt in gold (now it's mostly developed property), I'd say a good 40-50 percent came back for it.

:-)

Heng ... if you had an interest in a Pawn Shop ... what loan to valuation ratio did you use for the various possessions offered for collateral?

With land/buildings with sell by proxy contracts attached... 50-60% is the norm... with baubles, watches, and gold, it was anywhere from 15-50..... as with any asset, whether it's a building on Walking Street or a beat up Omega... there's always some human judgement/opinion as to what it's worth and/or how liquid it is. If the customer just looks be trying to sell something, unlikely to want or be able to make interest payments like the typical mia farang or a local hotel owner who just needs some bridge financing......then sure, that will effect the loan amount and terms.

:-)